How to get over on a rookie, hehehe

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Harry, it's called working smarter, not harder. I can't speak for you (I don't know that many small words) but for me I would much rather not have to sheet and then deal with closed bulk stops throughout the day. I have the basic list on Word Pad and then update it as needed.

Here is the one that I submitted for Black Friday:

Black Friday Closings 25A
2 Healey Ave (can indirect air to Meyer's Drugs)
Plattco
32 Green St
43 Rugar St*
*(They will close at noon on 11/26 and reopen on 12/1)

Peak Opening Times
Walmart 8am
SUNY 8 am
MBE 8:30 am

Monday Next Day Air Indirects
Empire Vision NDA goes to Walmart Vision
2 Healey NDA goes to Meyer's Drugs

How long did it take me to update, save and print this list? Less than 5 minutes.

You guys can do whatever you want but I prefer to work smarter, not harder.

Paint me surprised, I figured the resident know-it-all would have a boundless vocabulary.

I guess I don't find it all that difficult to tell my PDS which of my businesses are "known closed" while I'm on the clock. You might believe you're doing it smarter but, I put forth less effort and get paid while, you do the opposite.

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1416768266.255342.jpg

Sent using a Potato

OPTION3

Paint me surprised, I figured the resident know-it-all would have a boundless vocabulary.

I guess I don't find it all that difficult to tell my PDS which of my businesses are "known closed" while I'm on the clock. You might believe you're doing it smarter but, I put forth less effort and get paid while, you do the opposite.

View attachment 20467

Sent using a Potato
funny...with that boundless vocabulary...his Butt still don’t sit any higher in the drivers seat than anyone else’s

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Our new guys will come in a half hour to an hour early, get a print out of their delivery areas and then use their phones and maps to make sure they know where all of the streets are. Yes, this is working off the clock, but to me it shows initiative and a willingness to learn.
I have absolutely no problem with a new hire trying to get into the groove. After that its over.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Rookies nowadays are gonna struggle cause the senior drivers are burned out beyond the point to take an interest in helping them .

barnyard

KTM rider
When I go help a lower seniority person, I go through what they have and choose what I want to run. After that, I help them set their remaining stops so that they get done in a reasonable time too (I ask them if they want the help 1st.)

I went to help one guy a while back, look over what he has left and I said what area I would take. He said, "But I already set those all up."

Me, "I don't care, the other area is apartments, no way I am doing those."

For all you young drivers out there. If you are getting help, you are still doing the sucky stuff. Don't forget it.

O

OLDMAN3

When I go help a lower seniority person, I go through what they have and choose what I want to run. After that, I help them set their remaining stops so that they get done in a reasonable time too (I ask them if they want the help 1st.)

I went to help one guy a while back, look over what he has left and I said what area I would take. He said, "But I already set those all up."

Me, "I don't care, the other area is apartments, no way I am doing those."

For all you young drivers out there. If you are getting help, you are still doing the sucky stuff. Don't forget it.
Yep,
I had a new driver actually hand pick the stops he thought he was going to give me, and he set them outside the truck before I got there. He thought he was just going to drive away once I got there. I said no, I'll do the ones on your shelf and you can load those sucky stops back into your own truck and deliver them yourself. I was glad he hand picked the gravy!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Rookies nowadays are gonna struggle cause the senior drivers are burned out beyond the point to take an interest in helping them .
YUP, but the old girl still has it, LOL. They sent a guy out on the route next to me, it is going to be his for peak. They had given him 30 off of me that he has never seen I knew he was freaking. he really struggles on this route, Im not sure why. I told the dispatch to just put it all back on me, give him one day light, before it really hits, and let him get through it. He met me at 7pm he had just got done, he took my air I got in at 815. Either way I knew I would get the work back, would have been nice if they had palled it tho. Hes a good kid, and I like to help when I can.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
YUP, but the old girl still has it, LOL. They sent a guy out on the route next to me, it is going to be his for peak. They had given him 30 off of me that he has never seen I knew he was freaking. he really struggles on this route, Im not sure why. I told the dispatch to just put it all back on me, give him one day light, before it really hits, and let him get through it. He met me at 7pm he had just got done, he took my air I got in at 815. Either way I knew I would get the work back, would have been nice if they had palled it tho. Hes a good kid, and I like to help when I can.
Great story, help if you can will keep this company growing with good drivers and reduce the avoidable accidents. If the driver energy is there to help, the pride level will rise cause of it.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
A long time ago during my rookie years, I was struggling on a blind route. Had about 60 stops remaining late in the evening. Three other seasoned drivers were asked to come and help me out. Gave each one of them about 1/3 of my stops and I returned to the building. Neither one of them ever helped me again.
Learned a valuable lesson that night. Don't screw with the oldtimers!