How to get rid of a crappy business agent

menotyou

bella amicizia
Ask Upstate if he remembers a Mr. Robinson. I bet Mr. Robinson remembers me. Want to talk about chatting with General Presidents and have BA's 'retire'?

brett636

Lobby your state to pass a right to work law of there isn't already one in place then start withholding union dues and get a lot of your like minded co workers to join you. A union is a business and when they start to feel their members unhappiness they will act, but not a second earlier.

Inthegame

Lobby your state to pass a right to work law of there isn't already one in place then start withholding union dues and get a lot of your like minded co workers to join you. A union is a business and when they start to feel their members unhappiness they will act, but not a second earlier.
Or vote for Herman Cain, get a lot of like minded dimwits to join you, and when the insane 999 plan is in place and the entire economy implodes you'll be out of work. You won't have any BA worries anymore.

brett636

Or vote for Herman Cain, get a lot of like minded dimwits to join you, and when the insane 999 plan is in place and the entire economy implodes you'll be out of work. You won't have any BA worries anymore.[/QUOTE]

This thread wasn't about Herman Cain, but since you brought him up I will state that if we had the 999 plan you would have to hide under your bed to keep from getting a job. Unemployment would plummet.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
This thread wasn't about Herman Cain, but since you brought him up I will state that if we had the 999 plan you would have to hide under your bed to keep from getting a job. Unemployment would plummet.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

Thanks for the insight from planet venus..!

Peace.

hypocrisy

Banned
OK, Joe Union, how would go about replacing an ineffective appointed shop steward when the BA can't be bothered?

Easy. As I stated, I would read the bylaws of my local and use the processes detailed in there to have a new election scheduled. Of course, as in your case and most likely the OP's, you just want to complain about the person actually doing that thankless job and not step up and find out what it's really all about.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Easy. As I stated, I would read the bylaws of my local and use the processes detailed in there to have a new election scheduled. Of course, as in your case and most likely the OP's, you just want to complain about the person actually doing that thankless job and not step up and find out what it's really all about.

Read much???? I did not start this thread nor complain about the effectiveness of my shop steward. I simply offered a suggestion as to how they could start the process of replacing an ineffective steward and a BA that couldn't be bothered.

hypocrisy

Banned
Read much???? I did not start this thread nor complain about the effectiveness of my shop steward. I simply offered a suggestion as to how they could start the process of replacing an ineffective steward and a BA that couldn't be bothered.

I would see a professional, as surely you have some sort of disorder. Usually, when someone asks a question (as ascertained by the quoted text ended with a (?) question mark) and receives an answer they don't respond as you do. If that is too harsh of a suggestion, try copious amounts of alcohol.

Did you, by chance, start a petition drive against department stores in your area for not selling 'modest' clothes when you were a teenager? How did that work out?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Good Luck with that one, that's all I can tell you. A bunch of us inquired about electing a new steward earlier this year, and found out that stewards are appointed by our BA and only the Executive board can remove a steward. Im sure the same process can be applied to getting rid of your current BA.

Yes, same in our local. Our stewards regularly violate the contract and make extra-contract agreements with the company and nothing can be done to stop it. Wish we could elect a different union to represent us, perhaps then representation and working conditions would improve. as of now I'm asking to sign waivers in any discipline meeting w/ management, denying representation, because our representatives are constantly selling out members and have only their interests in mind. I honestly think that we as hourlies are becoming better off without union representation - they're in the companies pocket and there is no changing it because the officials are not elected, but appointed.

As an aside, the whole "right to work" laws are equally useless. More laws = less freedom. We need to eliminate all of the ridiculous laws and regulations that have been enacted, not add more. By eliminating the whole closed shop mentality and forced unionism you then don't need right to work laws.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Yes, same in our local. Our stewards regularly violate the contract and make extra-contract agreements with the company and nothing can be done to stop it. Wish we could elect a different union to represent us, perhaps then representation and working conditions would improve. as of now I'm asking to sign waivers in any discipline meeting w/ management, denying representation, because our representatives are constantly selling out members and have only their interests in mind. I honestly think that we as hourlies are becoming better off without union representation - they're in the companies pocket and there is no changing it because the officials are not elected, but appointed.

As an aside, the whole "right to work" laws are equally useless. More laws = less freedom. We need to eliminate all of the ridiculous laws and regulations that have been enacted, not add more. By eliminating the whole closed shop mentality and forced unionism you then don't need right to work laws.
Not true. Contacting the state council of union leadership can ruffle a lot of feathers. Stewards have been removed before. I replaced one.

annoyed804

i would see a professional, as surely you have some sort of disorder. Usually, when someone asks a question (as ascertained by the quoted text ended with a (?) question mark) and receives an answer they don't respond as you do. If that is too harsh of a suggestion, try copious amounts of alcohol.

Did you, by chance, start a petition drive against department stores in your area for not selling 'modest' clothes when you were a teenager? How did that work out?

oh oh.....dave o and chris s from local 804.......are they talking about the both of you ?? You can always get a job in the blow up fat cat and rat factory especially you chris s since you did get fired from ups !!

Inthegame

Sleeve, get a copy of your local by-laws (available upon request from your local's principle officer). Most locals allow for elected stewards to a term of 1-3 yrs. Get an interested party (maybe yourself) to run in the next election. Call your BA and demand this. Call your PO and tell them you'll file charges if they violate the by-laws. If your locals by-laws do not allow for elected stewards, read the process for changing by-laws. You'll have a limited time frame so read carefully. Changing unions won't do any good unless you get people involved. The biggest problems all locals have is the lack of interested members. In any case you have an opportunity every three years to replace your executive board. No such opportunity exists in corporate America. You have more control of your union than you think, but it takes effort.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve, get a copy of your local by-laws (available upon request from your local's principle officer). Most locals allow for elected stewards to a term of 1-3 yrs. Get an interested party (maybe yourself) to run in the next election. Call your BA and demand this. Call your PO and tell them you'll file charges if they violate the by-laws. If your locals by-laws do not allow for elected stewards, read the process for changing by-laws. You'll have a limited time frame so read carefully. Changing unions won't do any good unless you get people involved. The biggest problems all locals have is the lack of interested members. In any case you have an opportunity every three years to replace your executive board. No such opportunity exists in corporate America. You have more control of your union than you think, but it takes effort.
That sounds good but is an impossible feat.

Inthegame

That sounds good but is an impossible feat.
It is impossible if all one does is complain without action. Your Carnegie quote says it all. "Action breeds confidence and courage". If members just complain on BrownCafe not much will change in your union. If your union leadership isn't any good, run against them. You have that right.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I felt the same. I was wrong. I think you would be surprised how many members feel the same as you. Rally them. It might be you that is what is needed to affect the change.
So in the TDU local 396 thread it's not okay to pit members vs members, but in this case it is? :happy-very:

steward71

So in the TDU local 396 thread it's not okay to pit members vs members, but in this case it is? :happy-very:

it is never to good to pit members vs members, but many who think they know what is best for a memeber seem to think it is ok. you never let superivors know you disagree, but I don't think that is what menotyou ment. some on here who feel or think they have been some elected member to a local know best, but it is the person that know what is best for them and speak your mind and have your say. it is not easy to get everyone to back you when you have a BA that just sets there with his thumb up is butt. if the members don't see action then they will not act.