How to keep cool in summer heat

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Sorry man but I have to disagree. If you arent thinking about it you arent reminding yourself to stay hydrated either. If you wait for your brain to tell you "Im thirsty" you are already dehydrated. I can say that from experience. There is heat and then there is heat with humidity! I never thought humidity was that big of an issue but it just drains your body of fluid twice as fast!

Humidity is the real killer. The purpose of sweating is to cool the body. Humidity denies this from happening at any rate. The more of it, the less the sweat can react to cooling. Thus the body feels this and orders more sweat for cooling. This why such a large rate of fluid loss.

The heat I can deal with, the humidity is the real problem. Next time you guys are out, check the temp and then check the humidity. Dry heat is tons better then a wet heat.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Humidity is the real killer. The purpose of sweating is to cool the body. Humidity denies this from happening at any rate. The more of it, the less the sweat can react to cooling. Thus the body feels this and orders more sweat for cooling. This why such a large rate of fluid loss.

The heat I can deal with, the humidity is the real problem. Next time you guys are out, check the temp and then check the humidity. Dry heat is tons better then a wet heat.

I have to agree with you on that. During the monsoons, it is great when it's actually raining but when it stops and the humidity is at 80 or 90% and the sun is shining again, there is no way to cool off not matter what you do.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I've never heard of a cooling vest until I read this thread. I'm curious as to how you use it. Pit it on under your browns in the morning and wear it all day? (I'd venture a guess it would lose effectiveness over time). Or, put it on periodically over your browns throughout the day?

Last edited:

djkre8r

I have been known to go fishing on my lunch break. Last summer I shed my socks, shoes, and shirt - then jumped in a creek with my fly rod. I was up to my naval in the cold creek water. You will be amazed how fast those brown shorts will dry out when it is almost 100 degrees outside! As a matter of fact, they were dry by the time I hit my first stop after my lunch break.

themidnightoil

drink a cold beer every hour until you get all your stops complete. you should be feeling great by the time you return to the building.

cheers, oil

DS

Fenderbender
upsman68;976244 I'm sorry UpstateI would like you to come and run my route for a summer and see if you would not complain about the heat Take care and have a nice summer[/QUOTE said:
Yea Dave...when it's that hot there is no putting it in the back of your mind.

HULKAMANIA

I would like to see/read more on these cooling vests. I almost went down last year from heat exhaustion and any information on them would be great. How do you wear them and what do they do exactly? Upstate that doesnt mean to write in and say they cool you down either lol.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would like to see/read more on these cooling vests. I almost went down last year from heat exhaustion and any information on them would be great. How do you wear them and what do they do exactly? Upstate that doesnt mean to write in and say they cool you down either lol.

I have never heard of nor would have any idea how cooling vests work but, if I know UPS, you would be required to wear it under your uniform, much like back belts.

upsgrunt

The ones I've seen are like a flak jacket, but instead of armor the compartments are filled with a jell like substance. They are placed in a freezer overnight and give you, maybe, 3 - 4 hours of cool. This means you would have to have 2 and you would have to have some way to keep the second one frozen. There is a HVAC company on my route that uses them to do attic work in the summer; they felt real good when I tried one on, but they are in the $250 - $300 range, and I think you would need 2. Google cooling vests, or look through a safety catalog from one of your industrial consignees.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The ones I've seen are like a flak jacket, but instead of armor the compartments are filled with a jell like substance. They are placed in a freezer overnight and give you, maybe, 3 - 4 hours of cool. This means you would have to have 2 and you would have to have some way to keep the second one frozen. There is a HVAC company on my route that uses them to do attic work in the summer; they felt real good when I tried one on, but they are in the $250 - $300 range, and I think you would need 2. Google cooling vests, or look through a safety catalog from one of your industrial consignees.

​You can find deals on them. I got my Harley cooling vest for 100$. Yes, it is an HD brand.

Soak them in water for 10 minutes, no more. Then throw in the freezer for awhile. Carry a small lunch type cooler, put ice in it and throw the vest(s) in the cooler.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Any that you can fill with ice?

OptimusPrime

​You can find deals on them. I got my Harley cooling vest for 100$. Yes, it is an HD brand.

Soak them in water for 10 minutes, no more. Then throw in the freezer for awhile. Carry a small lunch type cooler, put ice in it and throw the vest(s) in the cooler.

If it's an HD brand, then it's 1000% overpriced. Like I tell people, I can afford the Harley, it's all the BS logo gear I can't. Pssh. Harley riders, such a wanna be clique.

I use frogg toggs. It's a big cooling towel and I cut it in half. I soak them in my cooler on the road and rotate throughout the day. They can be bought at Walmart or any sporting goods places for about 20 bucks. I roll it up and put under the back of my shirt neck and keep trucking.