How to keep the bulk trucks from hurting the numbers?

UPSGUY72

Hi people.

My first post here so be gentle :)

At our center the 2 bulk trucks are hurting the numbers bad with their low stop count, is there any way of getting them off the SPORH report?

I have tried to suggest that we use the "center DIAD" but that hurts the center volume numbers....

I am not an manager, i am simply an LD that is seeing my drivers targets being pushed up because of this.

Any help or ideas would be appriciated.

Who cares I mean if your a driver you wouldn't care about the numbers.

It really sounds like your trying to get rid of two Routes. Management and IE can cut routes however drivers are just going to call in over 9.5, 10, 10.5, or more. A driver only can deliver so many packages an hour and the good SUP's know this they know the routes.

The people that worry about numbers all the time don't get it, they just care about numbers you sound like a numbers guy.

tieguy

Banned
Because as i said i am an lead driver (i guees you call it driver sup) and it is hurting my drivers every day, and if there was a way to keep an bulk car with only 10 stops on it out of the reports i would like to know.

I've never seen us use lead drivers. You're either a sup or you're not. There is usually no I guess about it.

10 stops on a bulk car? split them out between 10 routes. set it up so each driver dumps the extra bulk stop first.

If you can't do that then hold IE accountable for doing their job on the planning side.

brownrodster

Because as i said i am an lead driver (i guees you call it driver sup) and it is hurting my drivers every day, and if there was a way to keep an bulk car with only 10 stops on it out of the reports i would like to know.

I don't understand what you mean by "bulk car."

Do you mean the giant straight trucks or feeder trucks that go to the same stops everyday and deliver hundreds of packages at each. And having only a few stops and pickups their SPORH is bad.

Or do you mean a package car that takes random bulk stops that won't fit in their proper truck. So you have a driver going all over the place delivering a lot of packages but at a few stops.

brownrodster

We dont use the CC for anything else than specified above, we do however have one diad lying in Dispacth that we use for PU on small islands that can be used by somebody only doing 10-20 stops, the problem is that if we use that for the bulk trucks the packages goes out of the volume......

We have a lot of small islands in my area. As far as I know all that work is subcontracted out. Last time my uncle was on one of the islands visiting some of my family (my uncle is a teamster BA) he was trying to get this subcontracted work back for real UPS drivers.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've never seen us use lead drivers. You're either a sup or you're not. There is usually no I guess about it.

10 stops on a bulk car? split them out between 10 routes. set it up so each driver dumps the extra bulk stop first.

If you can't do that then hold IE accountable for doing their job on the planning side.

We had a lead driver back in the early 70's when our center manager had 2 centers in 2 different towns to manage. The lead driver was the most senior guy and he was responsible for daily dispatching of about a dozen routes. Our center manager lived in the city with the other center so we would only see him maybe 2 days a week. The "lead driver" got 10 cents more an hour. (big whoop)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Hes from Scandinavia, so they may very well use lead drivers there.

Splitting 10 bulk stops off onto 10 routes? Nice theory from behind a desk, but in the real world you might not be able to force the extra volume to contain, especially if the routes are already being crammed into the undersized 30 yr old pieces of crap that UPS tries to pass off as delivery vehicles. Not to mention the service issues that are created if those drivers are already struggling to make the AM commit times on their air.

As far as holding IE "accountable"...IE never has and never will be accountable for anything. They are little more than absentee landlords who will never have to actually live in the ghettos they have created.

rocket man

ARE YOU Managment or hourly....? IN our center all drivers are equal we have on roads but that is managment. SO if you are not managment I salute you lead driver SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOUR KISSing THE center manager CENTER MANGERS A#$$ GIVE ME YOUR NAME ILL CONTACT SCOTT DAVIS CEO and tell him you are saving the company. TAKING AWAY HOURS FROM DRIVER And making layoffs.

UPSviking

ARE YOU Managment or hourly....? IN our center all drivers are equal we have on roads but that is managment. SO if you are not managment I salute you lead driver SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOUR KISSing THE center manager CENTER MANGERS A#$$ GIVE ME YOUR NAME ILL CONTACT SCOTT DAVIS CEO and tell him you are saving the company. TAKING AWAY HOURS FROM DRIVER And making layoffs.

You really are a peach.....!!

I wear brown to work every day, I drive packages every day and work my hours in my P55, At my center we have lead drivers, I did not know that you don't use them in the states and for that you have my apologies!.

My duties apart from being an driver is to send an "loop" of drivers on their way every morning, making sure they are on target and such.

All I did was ask a simple question (or so I thought). Relatively new to this site as I am I apparently failed to realize that this was the I have a stick up my A.. forum; I foolishly thought I could ask a question and my fellow UPS´ers maybe would help.

BTW, thank you to the others here who have tried to help.

P

pickup

hey rocketman, give it a break, will ya?

pretzel_man

Hes from Scandinavia, so they may very well use lead drivers there.

Splitting 10 bulk stops off onto 10 routes? Nice theory from behind a desk, but in the real world you might not be able to force the extra volume to contain, especially if the routes are already being crammed into the undersized 30 yr old pieces of crap that UPS tries to pass off as delivery vehicles. Not to mention the service issues that are created if those drivers are already struggling to make the AM commit times on their air.

As far as holding IE "accountable"...IE never has and never will be accountable for anything. They are little more than absentee landlords who will never have to actually live in the ghettos they have created.

So, why does IE still exist?? You have pointed out many times that there is no loyalty in UPS management.

Why doesn't the company get rid of the IE department? Greedy upper management could line their pockets with the money saved.

When Eskew was here, you could argue that as an IE himself, he was protecting his old crew. But, Davis came from Finance. There is no love between IE and Finance.

With his background as CFO, Davis would certainly be able to see how much IE is impacting the bottom line.

Maybe that's why they are still here?

P-Man

QKRSTKR

Dude! don't take offense. Different country, different rules. We have no such thing here as lead drivers. Obviously your a hard worker and someone who cares. We in the states have on road sups. It's their job to handle that crap. The sporh on rtes is crazy.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
The answer is "combo" job. Either combo this route with an inside postion or like what was said before have them deliver air and the bulk then assign them a couple of pickups. Be creative, after all these are numbers and only numbers they are easilly altered!

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Hi people.

My first post here so be gentle :)

At our center the 2 bulk trucks are hurting the numbers bad with their low stop count, is there any way of getting them off the SPORH report?

I have tried to suggest that we use the "center DIAD" but that hurts the center volume numbers....

I am not an manager, i am simply an LD that is seeing my drivers targets being pushed up because of this.

Any help or ideas would be appriciated.

Unfortunately, this problem has been around forEVER, way before DIAD showed up. It demonstrates a fundamental IGNORANCE of solid business sense on the part of our IE and Accounting dudes.

Let's say that you have 'bulk stops' where you can deliver a couple hundred packages on skids from the back of a trailer, or a 20-ft box van. This takes WAY LESS TIME than unloading each package by hand, right? Therefore, this is MORE EFFICIENT, and MORE COST EFFECTIVE to do it this way.

BUT, since Stops Per On Road Hour is our Sacred Metric, IE and ACCOUNTING have ignored this basic business fact for going on FORTY YEARS. So, a center is doing the right BUSINESS THING, but the simpletons back at the district office beat up the center, even though the center is doing the RIGHT BUSINESS THING.

This same idiotic mentality leads to district managers wanting to put up an airplane to take down a feeder, due to the fact that airplanes go on Louisville's cost report instead of the district's. My opinion of this is that such district managers are too stupid to live, much less run districts.

<sigh> end of rant.....I feel your pain. This particular problem is one I had often when trying to save the company some bucks.

Increased computerization makes this worse, by the way: the programming is NOT flexible. What is printed on computer paper is Holy Writ and not to be questioned.

If we were to REALLY take the correct metric approach here, we should show SPORH by ROUTE, and track variability. The idea behind statistical process control is that you measure the things that matter. SPORH is meaningless except for the individual route, and then only if the area delivered is pretty consistent. AND it is a metric that is remarkably resistant to improvement, since it is pretty much dependent on the characteristics of the traffic patterns and the type of buildings you deliver to. I suspect that if we looked at routes that have been stable over years, the SPORH has been consistent over years, no matter who delivers them.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Mr. Viking appears to be located in Scandanavia. LP must be a position they have over there.

StopTheAct

hell with the Numbers...
get the Job done.. Remember Customer first!!!
if you gotta add a driver to do some Bull*****,,,,
do it..Job needs to get done..

brownrodster

hell with the Numbers...
get the Job done.. Remember Customer first!!!
if you gotta add a driver to do some Bull*****,,,,
do it..Job needs to get done..

If you were a center manager with that attitude it wouldn't take long before IE sent in a hit squad to put you down.

UPSviking

Thank you all for your replies.

To TechGrrl, what you describe is exactly what i am dealing with here, i just thought that there was an way around the bulk stops hurting the numbers, but as people posting here have told it seems to be the "ups way" and i can do next to nothing.

This was not to kiss butt´s or to get people fired, it was to get the centers numbers more up to reality and hopefully thereby be able to lift some of the pressure on my fellow drivers in brown.