How to leave UPS?!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I drove for 9 years in New Hampshire, and after about 4 years realized that it wasn't what I wasn't what I wanted to do for the rest of my working days. I let UPS pay for me to get a second degree, and left for a white collar job after about a year of job searching after I completed the degree. No one I interviewed with viewed my looking for a job while I already had one as a red flag.

Seems like a prudent, logical thing to do IMO.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

If you live near a railroad terminal, that is the answer. Engineers on the extra board can make $120k/year and still have reasonable time off.

Dude, you have railroaders in your family? Their family life STINKS! Especially freight railroaders...

A mother of two who is oncall and could be called into work at any time of the day/night (on the schedules no one else wants)....It is NOT a job for those who care about their families!

It was a dream of mine to become a railroader (been a railfan since I was in my mom's womb; big reason I like working at UPS is they are the largest single customer of the US railroads), but even without a family I lnew that life would be tough and didn't jump at it. Now that I have one...

Last edited:

Boswell

The Six Keys To Leaving UPS:

Step 1: Announce "I'm leaving UPS."
Step 2: Stop your boss and notify him/her your decision.
Step 3: Test your timing -- quit now and you'll relinquish your 2013 vacations.
Step 4: Serve your two weeks, then clear the jam that is UPS.
Step 5: Announce "I'm free from UPS."
Step 6: Re-start your career in your chosen field.

Please have these steps memorized & be able to RECITE and DEMONSTRATE them no later than Tuesday morning. On your own time, of course.

Alternatively:
The Eight Keys to Becoming A Supervisor:

Step 1: Get close - to your boss.
Step 2: Position feet.
Step 3: Bend at the knees.

Last edited:
if you want to leave UPS do it now before you get use to the money and benefits. I would not recommend UPS driving to any female with kids...

barnyard

KTM rider
Dude, you have railroaders in your family? Their family life STINKS! Especially freight railroaders...

A mother of two who is oncall and could be called into work at any time of the day/night (on the schedules no one else wants)....It is NOT a job for those who care about their families!

It was a dream of mine to become a railroader (been a railfan since I was in my mom's womb; big reason I like working at UPS is they are the largest single customer of the US railroads), but even without a family I lnew that life would be tough and didn't jump at it. Now that I have one...

I do have family that works on the railroad. A cousin that worked the extra board until he had saved enough money to put down substantial down payments on 2 houses that he gave to his daughters as wedding gifts.

If a person lives in a large city, there are many shortlines that are hiring. Shortlines typically have more predictable runs. There are several shortlines that will reimburse tuition for new hires that have an engineer's license (google: modoc rail academy.)

The extra board can suck for a family, but working at UPS can also suck for family life. A single mom making $120k has advantages over a single mom that makes $30k.

jeepupser

I would say go out with a "bang" and to do this you should get on a moving belt and walk on it. That will get you out faster than you can say "I'm sorry" and you WILL NOT get your job back.

Notcool

I feel you. I have been loading for close to 7 years on reload. Still low on seniority list to drive. I don't even have enough seniority for seasonal driving. People say stick it out but for how long? I could put this time into something else. I am single no kids and if they make us pay for any amount for insurance in the next contract I cant see staying. Im tired of loading but if you have two kids how else will you pay for insurance? thats why I have never had kids I cant afford them lol

menotyou

bella amicizia
I feel you. I have been loading for close to 7 years on reload. Still low on seniority list to drive. I don't even have enough seniority for seasonal driving. People say stick it out but for how long? I could put this time into something else. I am single no kids and if they make us pay for any amount for insurance in the next contract I cant see staying. Im tired of loading but if you have two kids how else will you pay for insurance? thats why I have never had kids I cant afford them lol
If they do away with pt'ers ins, you will be grandfathered. We won't pay for ins this contract.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I would say go out with a "bang" and to do this you should get on a moving belt and walk on it. That will get you out faster than you can say "I'm sorry" and you WILL NOT get your job back.
If you are an hourly, yes. A PT supervisor, however... walking on a moving belt is seen as "dedication and commitment to the profit machine". ;P

UPS Preloader

Hello

I have worked for UPS for 5 years now. I really don't like the work and hours. I feel like I'm wasting valuable time. To be a driver at our hub you have to wait a good 14 years and I HATE feeling like I'm going NOWHERE. I know the long term benefits of staying are unmatchable!!!!! That is what makes this choice so insanely hard! I'm seriously scared... But should I let that fear keep me down in brown? How do I muster up the courage to leave!? I know I will be much happier making less money an hour working more somewhere else... like in retail. I just don't want to regret making this decision! I feel like I still have a chance to be happy in a job. The big brown hole doesn't have the much of a hold on me quite yet.... Thanks!

I been loading truck for 5 1/2 years as well. Do I really like the work and hours? Of course not. Do I feel like I'm wasting valuable time? Not really, I'd be sleeping otherwise. Do I want to be a driver? No, I enjoy being home for the kids on a daily basis as well as on the holidays. Yes, the the long term benefits of staying are great and that can be said for both part timers and full timers. You've gotten many great responses here, but only you can decide what's best for you. If you truly hate it, I mean despise it, then you should know your answer and you just need to put a plan in place to make it work to your benefit. Another thing you could consider is starting up a business on your own or possible going into real estate or even insurance sales. Both real estate and insurance have flexible hours and take time to grow the business so having an early morning job loading trucks allows you the time to build the business. Just my thoughts. What ever you decide I wish you the best.

packageguy

Hello

I have worked for UPS for 5 years now. I really don't like the work and hours. I feel like I'm wasting valuable time. To be a driver at our hub you have to wait a good 14 years and I HATE feeling like I'm going NOWHERE. I know the long term benefits of staying are unmatchable!!!!! That is what makes this choice so insanely hard! I'm seriously scared... But should I let that fear keep me down in brown? How do I muster up the courage to leave!? I know I will be much happier making less money an hour working more somewhere else... like in retail. I just don't want to regret making this decision! I feel like I still have a chance to be happy in a job. The big brown hole doesn't have the much of a hold on me quite yet.... Thanks!

make it easy, give them 2 weeks notice, leave on good terms...and be gone.. Good luck ..

Billy Boxtosser

The Six Keys To Leaving UPS:

Step 1: Announce "I'm leaving UPS."
Step 2: Stop your boss and notify him/her your decision.
Step 3: Test your timing -- quit now and you'll relinquish your 2013 vacations.
Step 4: Serve your two weeks, then clear the jam that is UPS.
Step 5: Announce "I'm free from UPS."
Step 6: Re-start your career in your chosen field.

Please have these steps memorized & be able to RECITE and DEMONSTRATE them no later than Tuesday morning. On your own time, of course.

Alternatively:
The Eight Keys to Becoming A Supervisor:

Step 1: Get close - to your boss.
Step 2: Position feet.
Step 3: Bend at the knees.

^^^HAHAHAHA^^^

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
hey there, sounds like you are a part timer it took me from 79 to 85 to go driving. if it really takes 14 years to go driving look for something else to do while your still in the hub. but don't quit...they only have you for 4 hours a day use the rest of your time wisely