how to properly do a daily pickup.

BigBrownSanta

Hey all. I just have a question for you regarding daily pickups. When you get to the pickup stop do you open the pickup in the diad when starting to load, or wait until all of the packages are loaded then open the stop and scan the end of day. We get a certain allowance for loading and if we open up the stop after loading are we loosing time for ourself? Wondering what you each do?

How long you have the stop active has no bearing on your over/under. The stop is given an average basic allowance based on the area number and other criteria that, ideally, should have been measured during your time study. The only thing that adds to that basic allowance is the number of packages you pick up.

As far as scanning, I only scan the end of day barcodes, but I may just scan the packages if the end of day is not present and I have to wait for the software to load on their computer. Whichever is quickest.

I do not scan ARS, RS, or RS1 packages that are handed to me. If I get an OCA that turns out to be an ARS package, I sheet as non Pu, already PU.

At the UPS Store, I only scan the drop-off packages (except ARS packages). I do not scan the packages that the store processes, just their end of day. If the store was previously picked up by another driver that day and they did not close out the end of day, I scan the end of day but take no credit for the pickup packages.

Sometimes (and I do not recommend anyone to do this), if I have had an exceptionally heavy delivery day, I won't take credit for any packages I pick up that day.

UPSGUY72

I scan the end of day sometimes when I get to the stop or sometimes when I'm done loading the truck all depends on the account number and number of packages.

I also scan all internet package and all international.

PAS'd out

This ain't rocket science
I bring up the pickup as soon as I am out of the driver's seat and close it when I get back to the cab. That way it shows the true amount of time that I spent at the pickup stop.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I bring up the pickup as soon as I am out of the driver's seat and close it when I get back to the cab. That way it shows the true amount of time that I spent at the pickup stop.

ok, this makes sense. even with the gps, if your spending 10 minutes at the stop but opening the pickup for the 10 seconds it takes to scan the end of day, your telling folks that it takes you 10 seconds to load 50 boxes, the rest of the time just shows as travel. Does anyone know how much time a driver gets for loading one box in the truck????

Coldworld

60 months and counting
How long you have the stop active has no bearing on your over/under. The stop is given an average basic allowance based on the area number and other criteria that, ideally, should have been measured during your time study. The only thing that adds to that basic allowance is the number of packages you pick up.

As far as scanning, I only scan the end of day barcodes, but I may just scan the packages if the end of day is not present and I have to wait for the software to load on their computer. Whichever is quickest.

I do not scan ARS, RS, or RS1 packages that are handed to me. If I get an OCA that turns out to be an ARS package, I sheet as non Pu, already PU.

At the UPS Store, I only scan the drop-off packages (except ARS packages). I do not scan the packages that the store processes, just their end of day. If the store was previously picked up by another driver that day and they did not close out the end of day, I scan the end of day but take no credit for the pickup packages.

Sometimes (and I do not recommend anyone to do this), if I have had an exceptionally heavy delivery day, I won't take credit for any packages I pick up that day.

Big please explain this, not following you here??

cino321

Only reason I see for him not taking any credit for picked up pieces on a heavy day is so he doesn't look too good on paper, why I don't know, but everyone has their reasons.

BigBrownSanta

It's simple. I do not take credit for the packages I pick up. If I pick up 10 packages, I close the stop without putting in 10 packages in the pickup. It lowers my allowance for the stop and causes me to look more overallowed on paper.

BTW the allowance for a pickup package depends on how you enter the truck. xx seconds for a bulkhead door entry for the first package and x seconds for each additional package. Rear door is xx seconds for the first package and x seconds for each additional package. I'd rather not say publicly what the actual numbers are. PM me and I will let you know what the x's equal.