How to retire from UPS

texan

This is consistent with my experience as well.
Some people get involved in the church, some get involved in charities, some go to work for other companies, some form their own small business.
There are not many who just sit at home and take care of the property.
The consistent "aspect" I found of people that were actually happy in retirement was that they found an activity from which they gained purpose.
Humans appear to need purpose and most need interaction with other humans.

Well said. I can not add anything to that.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
This is consistent with my experience as well.
Some people get involved in the church, some get involved in charities, some go to work for other companies, some form their own small business.
There are not many who just sit at home and take care of the property.
The consistent "aspect" I found of people that were actually happy in retirement was that they found an activity from which they gained purpose.
Humans appear to need purpose and most need interaction with other humans.

I get all of that from my work now as a package drive. I like the dogs that I play with and give treats to. Watching the kids grow from small children to adults. Knowing everyone in town and them knowing me. Seeing people gratitude and joy when you bring that item they have been waiting for. The cookies, pie, Christmas gifts, and other treats people give you. The parties and function your invited to.

People whine about the job and can't wait to leave only to realize they never had it so good. What a job really!

Sure I don't want to go to work some days and even some weeks. But, nothing beats the view of autumn mornings driving down a country road or the smell of new fallen snow. Dodging kids slinging snowballs at you and laughing all the way when the miss. The friends and acquaintances at work have been enriching and I've watched them grow old with me. At the rate of pay and benefits I make and my age 50+ where oh where wold I find comparable work?

Its hard work but that never bothered me. I like to work hard and physical. It keeps the weight off and allows me to eat some pasties or enjoy fine wine without blowing up like a balloon.

Why would I ever quit this job?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

At the rate of pay and benefits I make and my age 50+ where oh where would I find comparable work?

The question should not be where but why as in why would you want to find comparable work? You have 30 years (or more) to save for and plan to retire. Why in the world would you want to continue working when you don't have to?

Why would I ever quit this job.

Human beings do not come with a set amount of minutes. Unlike the recent movie, we never know when our time is up. Do you really want to spend all of your time working?

We had a driver retire who then passed away 6 months after retirement.

UPS provides us with the means, through our pensions and retirement savings, to decide when we wish to retire, not how much longer do I have to work to afford retirement.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I get all of that from my work now as a package drive. I like the dogs that I play with and give treats to. Watching the kids grow from small children to adults. Knowing everyone in town and them knowing me. Seeing people gratitude and joy when you bring that item they have been waiting for. The cookies, pie, Christmas gifts, and other treats people give you. The parties and function your invited to.

People whine about the job and can't wait to leave only to realize they never had it so good. What a job really!

Sure I don't want to go to work some days and even some weeks. But, nothing beats the view of autumn mornings driving down a country road or the smell of new fallen snow. Dodging kids slinging snowballs at you and laughing all the way when the miss. The friends and acquaintances at work have been enriching and I've watched them grow old with me. At the rate of pay and benefits I make and my age 50+ where oh where wold I find comparable work?

Its hard work but that never bothered me. I like to work hard and physical. It keeps the weight off and allows me to eat some pasties or enjoy fine wine without blowing up like a balloon.

My new hero!

He might be alive today if he had kept working. Who knows???

Many people do die soon after they retire ... they become depressed and that will kill you and quickly.

If retirement is what you want, then fine but don't belittle other people because they don't think like you.

Society, the government and politicians may soon start to belittle people who do retire early since that's what society needs economically.

The single biggest threat to our society is people who are not working when they are capable of working.
It is dragging our whole country down.

stealth8

I felt the same way as you do bmwmc, but one day you will wake up and say to yourself I have had enough. I am retiring this November after 32 years (31years on the same rte). I know that I can do the job for a few more years, but I don't want to take the chance of becoming injured, and not being able to enjoy my retirement. I still love the job,and am going to miss it I know, but there comes a time when you have make a decision. Thanks to the Union and UPS, I have had a good career, my kids are out of college, my house is paid off, and my pension is very generous. I don't want to be like one of those athletes that try to extend their careers and end up looking foolish in the end. I know it is going to be tough to make the adjustment to "civilian" life, but I plan of making the best of it. Good luck to you and anyone else near the end of their careers, everybody is different and has to make their own decisions, and believe me it is a decision that is exciting yet scary at the same time! Cheers!

W

want to retire

Something that bothers me about "retirement".........Here in our region/contract whatever..........if you retired prior to 2009(I think)(close enough for discussion).......they had their pension cut in half......so you guys talk about "financial planning" and all...........I'm just a regular guy and the bread winner in my family.....basically one income. So, no 401k, "investments", riches........in other words........I'm depending on my pension being there. I'm in feeders with 31 years(although at the bottom of seniority) and could(in theory) stay a long time. I want to retire. I hate every second of it. I'm only 50, so if I leave I won't have any insurance until I find another job. My blood pressure medication alone would sink us financially..........So, if I work until 70........I might(might) be at the top of seniority in feeders.........and I figure I'll have about 5 years until I kick-off(no person on my Dad's side of the family has lived past 75).........I sure wished I loved my job.....but I don't..........working nights.......sucks.............this is what I contemplate......everyday.

stealth8

Something that bothers me about "retirement".........Here in our region/contract whatever..........if you retired prior to 2009(I think)(close enough for discussion).......they had their pension cut in half......so you guys talk about "financial planning" and all...........I'm just a regular guy and the bread winner in my family.....basically one income. So, no 401k, "investments", riches........in other words........I'm depending on my pension being there. I'm in feeders with 31 years(although at the bottom of seniority) and could(in theory) stay a long time. I want to retire. I hate every second of it. I'm only 50, so if I leave I won't have any insurance until I find another job. My blood pressure medication alone would sink us financially..........So, if I work until 70........I might(might) be at the top of seniority in feeders.........and I figure I'll have about 5 years until I kick-off(no person on my Dad's side of the family has lived past 75).........I sure wished I loved my job.....but I don't..........working nights.......sucks.............this is what I contemplate......everyday.
want to retire, If you have had a 31yr career at UPS and you have not been able to contribute to your 401k or start an IRA then shame on you. I was in the same "boat" as you, being the only earner in the family. When my wife and I decided to have kids she quit her job and stayed home to raise them. We new in order to do so we would have to make sacrifices. While my friends bought big homes, nice cars and took exotic vacations, we stayed in our townhouse, drove our cars for 10yrs or more, and had alot of staycations. By doing that in the early years we were able to contribute to the 401k, IRA's and even buy UPS stock weekly. When the kids got older my wife went back to work (part-time) and we were able to pay the house off early and pay for our boy's college tuitions. My friends are envious that I can retire at 54yrs old, but I was enviuos of them when they had the big houses and the shiny new cars!! Life is all about decisions and everyone is different. I think my wife and I made a decision that has turned out pretty good. Good luck to you and it is never to late to start saving for your future. Cheers!

W

want to retire

want to retire, If you have had a 31yr career at UPS and you have not been able to contribute to your 401k or start an IRA then shame on you. I was in the same "boat" as you, being the only earner in the family. When my wife and I decided to have kids she quit her job and stayed home to raise them. We new in order to do so we would have to make sacrifices. While my friends bought big homes, nice cars and took exotic vacations, we stayed in our townhouse, drove our cars for 10yrs or more, and had alot of staycations. By doing that in the early years we were able to contribute to the 401k, IRA's and even buy UPS stock weekly. When the kids got older my wife went back to work (part-time) and we were able to pay the house off early and pay for our boy's college tuitions. My friends are envious that I can retire at 54yrs old, but I was enviuos of them when they had the big houses and the shiny new cars!! Life is all about decisions and everyone is different. I think my wife and I made a decision that has turned out pretty good. Good luck to you and it is never to late to start saving for your future. Cheers!

yep. shame on me. yep..........

Catatonic

Nine Lives
want to retire, If you have had a 31yr career at UPS and you have not been able to contribute to your 401k or start an IRA then shame on you. I was in the same "boat" as you, being the only earner in the family. When my wife and I decided to have kids she quit her job and stayed home to raise them. We new in order to do so we would have to make sacrifices. While my friends bought big homes, nice cars and took exotic vacations, we stayed in our townhouse, drove our cars for 10yrs or more, and had a lot of staycations. By doing that in the early years we were able to contribute to the 401k, IRA's and even buy UPS stock weekly. When the kids got older my wife went back to work (part-time) and we were able to pay the house off early and pay for our boy's college tuition. My friends are envious that I can retire at 54yrs old, but I was envious of them when they had the big houses and the shiny new cars!! Life is all about decisions and everyone is different. I think my wife and I made a decision that has turned out pretty good. Good luck to you and it is never to late to start saving for your future. Cheers!

I think of this song when I see people who are not happy with their lot in life.

George Jones - Choices - YouTube

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
At the rate of pay and benefits I make and my age 50+ where oh where would I find comparable work?

The question should not be where but why as in why would you want to find comparable work? You have 30 years (or more) to save for and plan to retire. Why in the world would you want to continue working when you don't have to?

Why would I ever quit this job.

Human beings do not come with a set amount of minutes. Unlike the recent movie, we never know when our time is up. Do you really want to spend all of your time working?

UPS provides us with the means, through our pensions and retirement savings, to decide when we wish to retire, not how much longer do I have to work to afford retirement.

Life is work my friend. Even at play it takes work to enjoy it or haven't you ever own a boat; AKA a hole in the water you throw money into.

The oldest people I have ever known worked hard all there life. Some of the oldest people on my route are farmers. Your right though humans don't have set minutes and you don't know when you'll give up the ghost; However working allows me far more dollars to travel around the world in STYLE. My most recent trip was across the the county to San Francisco. I stayed 2 night at the Four Seasons and travel to Napa & Somoma Valley for wine tasting. I am currently planning a trip to Spain and will likely spend 4 days in Madrid and lodge in at least a 4 star or above hotel. I have travel to Alaska for fishing trips that cost-a-plenty but were once in a life time events.

We just had a driver a year ago die walking up the step to a customer. Heart attack. We had another driver kill at his home while having a yard sale. Fricken camper rolled over him. WTF right?

Retirement is a state of mind. The sooner you realize that the journey is more important then the destination we'll be more of one mind on this subject.

Peace out!