How To Stop Drivers From Working During Their Vacations?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm assuming that under this supplement vacations for the following year are bid in October (we bid in November), and the intent of the language is that anyone who wishes to opt out of their vacation will do so prior to the bid so as not to close out a vacation week that they aren't going to take anyway. As I'm understanding it, once you actually bid your vacation weeks you no longer have the option to take the pay in lieu of your vacation, you have to take your vacation during the weeks you bid. As trplnkl said, this is the article you want to file under.

Thanks for the clarification.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
I will be filing on all the idiots that take summer months and I don't work and can't take vacation in the summer. I am tired of these broke drivers. Get a life and get your finances in order......

DS

Fenderbender
Most drivers that work their vacations are doing it because of unseen hardships.They are not intentionally trying to screw lesser seniority guys from those prime weeks.I do agree that there should be language in the contract that would only allow it under special circumstances.If a full time driver wants to work his vacation,a lesser seniority employee should be able to take it.Everyone assumes that ups drivers make so much money that they are financially well off, but every situation and every person is different,and it does not always boil down to greed.

Raw

Raw Member
In my center 2 cover drivers need to be working before a driver can work his vacation. If management needs you they would love a driver to work their vacation. If they don`t need you then they will say no. I actually worked a vacation day and wasn`t needed a couple other days. To you people who don`t like a driver working their vacation - mind your own busness! :happy-very:

brownelf

Had the same problem a few years back in our center, problem was solved when local and UPS agreed to these rules regarding working during scheduled vacation. Whenever someone is scheduled on vacation and desires or is asked to work for any reason, they go to the bottom of senoirity list for work that week. If they are needed, they work on the route that is available (not their own, which goes into bid coverage driver list for weekly bid) only after all other senoirity drivers are worked. This has pretty much solved the problem, as most of the guys don't like the fact that they can't do their own route.

rod

Retired 22 years
Had the same problem a few years back in our center, problem was solved when local and UPS agreed to these rules regarding working during scheduled vacation. Whenever someone is scheduled on vacation and desires or is asked to work for any reason, they go to the bottom of senoirity list for work that week. If they are needed, they work on the route that is available (not their own, which goes into bid coverage driver list for weekly bid) only after all other senoirity drivers are worked. This has pretty much solved the problem, as most of the guys don't like the fact that they can't do their own route.

BRILLIANT solution-----my hats off to whoever came up with that.

Overpaid Union Thug

Sounds good but isn't that, or couldn't that be considered, an "extra contract agreement?"

JustTired

free at last.......
I can see contract negotiations now.........Why should we give you vacation time? You just work it anyhow. We're cutting vacations in half. Oh....by the way....no more lunch break. The majority aren't taking that, either.