How to survive peak

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In an odd sort of way there are areas of my rural route that are actually safer to deliver after dark. I have a number of driveways that are right next to blind corners on roads, and it is always risky to pull out of that driveway in front of oncomong traffic that you cant see. At night you can see their headlights from around the corner.

Most humans have an instinctive fear of the dark. I am used to working in the dark and have been on the same route for 15 yrs so light or dark makes no difference to me.

tourists24

Oh geeez, I hate...literally HATE...delivering after dark. Most of the routes I cover are about 50% rural and dirt/caliche roads are just dangerous, especially at night. Sometimes it's so dark that unless you are very familiar with the exact stop you can't even see lights of the house from the road. No mail boxes or house numbers by the driveway and you can't tell if it's a road or a turning row. hate it hate it hate it. I usually end up having to use up all the daylight delivering businesses so it puts half of my routes in the dark..
did I mention how much I dislike delivering after dark?
I second your sentiments on night delivering trpl... that's why I have been on my mall route for years now... much more physical, but no more dirt roads, dogs, one driveway with eight mailboxes,,, etc. You can deliver after dark without worry because you have lighting. As an added bonus, no matter how many stops you are given, those businesses have a close time. Of course there are disadvantages but I do hate those dirt roads at night

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I had a Div. Mgr. that wanted to know why I wasn't following trace back in the 80's. The question came up because of pick up times when someone else would run the route. The biggest shipper quit shipping @ 15:30 and 2 or 3 days week they would ship over 1,000 lbs. of Next Day air. The DM was running the Center due to some management issues but that's a story for another time.

When I'd start unloading on the air belt at 16:30, he'd ask why I was back so early. I told him look at all the weight and the shuttle plane didn't have the lift so he'd have to ground shuttle to the Gateway airport. He said, "Thanks for giving us time." I would drop my helper off too. If I had followed trace I would have made the pickup @ 17:45 and would have been unloading @ 18:15 and it would be too late for a ground shuttle. I would then go back out to finish deliveries. I also would be delivering in town resi's in the dark & the only street lights were on Main St.. I preferred to deliver in town in the daylight & and finish my RD's in the dark cause most customers had security lights and they would see me coming down the lane. Most of the time the customer would meet me at the car so I didn't even have walk to the door. I figured I had an extra 10 miles but so what, I was safely delivering the packages!

UPS Lifer

I survived 36 Peaks with UPS, some were easier than others.

I do believe that a distinction has to be made between "just a job" and a "career". A career is a job or type of occupation that you hold for a long period of time. So, those of you who believe you "just have a job" and have been around for 10 years really have a career. It is important to realize that!

But it is just as important to realize that work should stay at work even though it will occasionally filter through to your personal life. It is very difficult to filter it out completely. Just the fact that we are on the Brown Cafe talking about this shows that you do not leave it at work completely. O

One of the reasons I chose my handle "UPS Lifer"! LOL

UPS is your family away from home and the way to make it work for you is to treat it like you treat your family. If you have a blowout at home with your spouse, children or parents, you eventually talk it out and get back on track. You need to keep the same perspective at work. Always keep your line of communication open and deal with the person who can make your life at work easier.

I want you to think about this.... (In your personal life) How long do you stay angry at one of your loved ones? How long do you avoid or give your loved one the silent treatment?

At some point in time communication needs to move forward. Combative communication is not productive.

Winning is not the goal - creating harmony is what is most important. Even though this may seem to be a complex process it can be done and you will not only survive but you will also thrive in an atmosphere that seems to promote negativity.

If you cannot create harmony then seek professional help to get you back on track. A mediator or therapist can do wonders and help you create a life or work atmosphere that is worth living.

We all need people to help and give us support and counseling.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I believe it is Susie driver I fought with over her calling our job , just a job, and with 24 yrs, half my life, I called it a career.
I agree with you UPSLIFER, I was referring to the unfortunate instance with a driver. In the case where a career is ruining your life, or making you not want to live, at that point a career, is just a job.
And you need to leave the work, and find another job or career.
There did I clarify my ownself? There I go flip flopping.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yeah, snow and ice are not fun, but it is still prettier at night.
I feex for you too, and you cant ignore that:surprised:
Hey I could edit that, ......hahh, naah, its too much fun!

UPS Lifer

Another thing that helps me stay sane is to remember that my immediate management are temporary, transitory figures.

I've worked for 9 different center managers and dozens of on car sups in my time with UPS.

I was already here when they arrived and I will still be here long after they have been promoted, demoted, transferred or fired.

I have job security. They dont.

I have rights. They dont.

I can think for myself. They cant.

I am paid for every minute of my time. They aren't.

If I dont show up in the morning to do my job, over 100 paying customers dont get service.

If they dont show up in the morning to do their job....over 100 paying customers wont even know.

I process and manipulate packages. They process and manipulate statistics.

The bottom line is that, if I am having problems with my management team all I have to do is wait and a different one will come long sooner or later. In the meantime, I can simply choose to feel sorry for them and cut them some slack. They need it worse than I do.

WOW! If this isn't presumptuous and arrogant I don't know what it! LOL!

I have read your story about that bleak day in 1990 in three separate threads now. It obviously had a major impact on you. I can feel the hatred coming through that day every time you recall and post it.

It was 18 years ago and you need to let it go .... for your own health and workplace sanity.

Also, I feel that with every year of knowledge and experience you gain you realize you could have affected the negative outcome that took place that day. This really bothers you. The problem is you cannot change the past and you should move forward. That day is over and you have the experience to avoid being mistreated in the future, so again....Let it go!

Please.... don't categorize all management into your pre-defined and narrow concept.

Managers and supervisors do have job security. They do have rights, and can think independently. They are paid for every minute of time they put in.

And don't believe for a minute that without their help, support and guidance UPS customers will not be affected.

Also your comments about processing and manipulating statistics is downright offensive.

Soberup!

soberups

I have read your story about that bleak day in 1990 in three separate threads now. It obviously had a major impact on you. I can feel the hatred coming through that day every time you recall and post it.

It was 18 years ago and you need to let it go .... for your own health and workplace sanity.

!

I look back on it and laugh now. I only bring it up to demonstrate how far UPS has come in terms of managing peak season, and how easy the "new generation" of drivers has it today with PLD, DIADs, modern package cars etc. When I find myself having a bad day at work, I remember that day and it immediately puts whatever minor problems I am having into perspective.

rod

Retired 22 years
WOW! If this isn't presumptuous and arrogant I don't know what it! LOL!

Also, I feel that with every year of knowledge and experience you gain you realize you could have affected the negative outcome that took place that day. This really bothers you. The problem is you cannot change the past and you should move forward. That day is over and you have the experience to avoid being mistreated in the future, so again....Let it go!

Please.... don't categorize all management into your pre-defined and narrow concept.

Managers and supervisors do have job security. They do have rights, and can think independently. They are paid for every minute of time they put in.

And don't believe for a minute that without their help, support and guidance UPS customers will not be affected.

Also your comments about processing and manipulating statistics is downright offensive.

Soberup!

After reading both yours and soberups posts, I have to side with sobers. No- not all managers and sups fall into that a-hole catagory but from my own experience unfortunately the majority of them do. I worked under 8 or 9 center manager's and can honestly say that only one was a pleasure to work for. He treated everyone with respect, didn't play favorites and went out of his way to make sure the troops were happy. In return I can't recall any flare ups with labor. Every one did their job and got along great. Then there were the ones that played favorites, let problems slide and and weren't around to put out fires. The last of them were a bunch of yehoos. They came in smoking and pissed off everyone -labor and peon management. Everyone ,labor anyway, got their jobs back. These guys (and one gal) WERE number 1 a-holes. I'm sure not everyone will agree with me but that is what I experienced during my 30 at the Brown Machine.:peaceful: As far as job security I'm sure the one DM, one center manager and a couple of sups I know wquld probably argue with you about that---if you can find which MacDonalds they are working at.

705red

Browncafe Steward
A great helper will make peak more enjoyable and easier to make it through. I have been lucky over my career with helpers, 3 of them I'm still in contact with and i consider them friends of mine. I have used the same kid for the last two peaks, but this year hes got a real job!

Wednesday was my first day with a helper and i got this kid in college. Well hes 26 still lives at home with mommy and and showed up with his lunch box. Lunch box is not uncommon, but when he pulled out a cheese sandwich with the crust cut off and cut into triangles, i almost died.Lmao!

But it gets worse, he than pulls out a tupperware of salad and pours blue ranch dressing on it, and another tupperware of potato salad. ( guess hes never heard of finger foods)

Than he pulls out a third tupperware of grapefruit and cottage cheese. I stopped, looked at him and asked him when he applied did they check him for testicles?!

This will be a long peak with this kid!

soberups

Also, I feel that with every year of knowledge and experience you gain you realize you could have affected the negative outcome that took place that day. This really bothers you. Soberup!

I was a 22 yr old with less than 2 yrs seniority.

I was not in any way responsible for....nor could I have done anything to mitigate... the total failure of my management team to come up with a coherent plan.

The one part of this incident that still irritates me is that I was instructed that evening to unload the car and not sheet the 300 stops as missed. I was instructed to falsify my timecard....by a management person who later was promoted to the level of District Labor Manager. In her role as District Labor Manager, she was ultimately responsible for the termination of drivers for being dishonest. The only difference between those drivers and her....is that they got caught and she didnt. The hypocracy of that has always bothered me.

soberups

....Also your comments about processing and manipulating statistics is downright offensive.

I know several management people who are scrupulously honest and fair. Do you know what they have in common? They are 50+ year-old on-car supervisors who have no chance at promotion and who are desperately trying to hang on until they can get out at 55 with medical benefits.

Job security? Management people are considered "at will" employees. You guys can be fired, demoted or transferred at the whim of your superiors. I had a sup once who got transferred to California...on one week's notice. He had to spend his "vacation" packing and moving.

Paid for every minute? Tell that to the sup who is putting in 70+ hr weeks and taking paperwork home to do on weekends.

Anybody who disagrees with our need for union representation needs to first take a look at how UPS treats its own management people if they want to see what life at UPS would be like without a union contract.

The topic of this thread is "how to survive peak." I survive by remembering to be grateful. I am grateful not to be in management for UPS.

satellitedriver

A great helper will make peak more enjoyable and easier to make it through. I have been lucky over my career with helpers, 3 of them I'm still in contact with and i consider them friends of mine. I have used the same kid for the last two peaks, but this year hes got a real job!

Wednesday was my first day with a helper and i got this kid in college. Well hes 26 still lives at home with mommy and and showed up with his lunch box. Lunch box is not uncommon, but when he pulled out a cheese sandwich with the crust cut off and cut into triangles, i almost died.Lmao!

But it gets worse, he than pulls out a tupperware of salad and pours blue ranch dressing on it, and another tupperware of potato salad. ( guess hes never heard of finger foods)

Than he pulls out a third tupperware of grapefruit and cottage cheese. I stopped, looked at him and asked him when he applied did they check him for testicles?!

What do you expect from a $8 an hour helper that will not have a job in 4 weeks?
All that aside, it is a shame that a 26yr still lives at home.
If he had fallen on hard times and moved back I could understand, but to always have stayed at home?
I see your point.

soberups

Step one; take away his girly-man food the moment he gets on car with you, and toss it in the trash. Tupperware and plastic forks are forbidden. Real UPS manly men eat finger food with their dirty hands, wipe the grease onto the customers package, and get back to work. Our burgers and sandwiches get set on the dashboard or shelf with no regard at all for the dirt and filth. Napkins? We dont have time for no stinking napkins, they just get blown out the door anyway.

Step two; buy him some real UPS driver food. Im talking a bag of pork rinds sliding around on the dash, a box of stale doughnuts on shelf 2, and a sack full of cold Egg Mcmuffins on shelf 4. Dont forget the Christmas cookies that your customers will hand out; those make a great survival meal at 7:15 at night when you have 50 stops left. By the end of the day the floor of your truck will be an ocean of sunflower seed shells, candy wrappers, and stepped-on Christmas candy. Real UPS manly-men are like Rambo....they eat food that will make a billy goat puke.

Step three; Get a huge thermos and fill it with bad coffee. You dont want good coffee because its enjoyable to just sip it, and there is no time during peak for such girly-man foolishness. You want thick, strong, black, lukewarm nasty coffee that tastes so bitter and gritty that you just chug it down in one gulp to get the wicked caffeine buzz that both of you will need. As for cups...you dont need 'em. Real UPS manly men drink their coffee straight from the thermos and pass it between themselves like it was a bottle of Jack Daniels. We share our germs and wipe the grounds off our chins with a grimy sleeve and get back to work.

Step four; Make sure you have a few empty plastic, wide-mouth water bottles. For the coffee. Not to drink the coffee from, but to piss the coffee into. Real UPS manly men dont ask politely to use a customers restroom, they piss in a bottle and dump it in the customer's back yard. Or front yard. Or wherever. When you are a real UPS manly man, the world is your urinal.

Red, you have a golden oportunity to take this 26 yr old cottage-cheese eating girly-boy and make a MAN out of him. Dont disappoint us!