How to Unionize? Is it possible?

InsideScoop

I think you just need to use UPS as a stepping stone into something more middle sized business oriented that hasn't become so large as to sweep ethics under the rug in favor of profits.

Right Right.

I guess I'm wanting to implement change for those who want to stick with UPS for the long haul... I justa feel if I can help make it better for them (and myself while I'm still there) that it would be an accomplishment and win for the majority.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Oh and to answer your question, I am neither killing with regret or killing without it... I am the one being killed; amongst others. (If I followed your analogy correct there). lol
It was mainly the mentality if you could stand by and watch something horrific happen and keep your mouth shut( either by acceptance/fear/complacent it's not happening to you) or are you going to speak up (which would inevitably lead to resigning or termination) type of person.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Right Right.

I guess I'm wanting to implement change for those who want to stick with UPS for the long haul... I justa feel if I can help make it better for them (and myself while I'm still there) that it would be an accomplishment and win for the majority.
You're an ant with a toothpick trying to slay an elephant.

You asked earlier about unionizing your fellow employees. The problem is along the way people will become casualties, are you willing to risk your livelihood in order to make a point? Or would it be easier to find employment at a place that shares your views on integrity and ethics?

_Mayday_

Yes Really
http://www.opeiu.org/NeedAUnion/StepstoCreatingaUnionWorkplace.aspx

From the What Are My Legal Rights Section:
It is illegal for your employer to:

• Threaten to or actually fire, lay off, discipline, harass, transfer, or reassign employees because they support the union
  • Favor employees who don’t support the union over those who do in promotions, job assignments, wages, hours, enforcement of rules or any other working condition
  • Shut down the work site or take away any benefits or privileges employees already enjoy in order to discourage union activity
  • Promise employees a pay increase, promotion, benefit or special favor if they oppose the union
  • Ask employees if they attended a union meeting, if they support the union or any other questions about their union activity
  • Refuse to deal with the union once employees vote to be reprensented
If your employer breaks the law, the union can help you file an “Unfair Labor Practice” charge with the National Labor Relations Board (www.nlrb.gov). The NLRB has the power to enforce the law and order an employer to stop interfering with employees’ rights, to provide back pay and to reverse any action taken against workers when they try to form a union.

InsideScoop

It was mainly the mentality if you could stand by and watch something horrific happen and keep your mouth shut( either by acceptance/fear/complacent it's not happening to you) or are you going to speak up (which would inevitably lead to resigning or termination) type of person.
Oh! Makes sense! Got ya... Well in that case... I'm definitely the "Speak Up" type of person, hence me asking my question. Lol it boils me up to hear the complaints I hear or have to endure the treatment that I myself receive.

I'm determined to make this happen... Just gotta find the right info to make it happen; I don't believe anyone has ever tried to; I don't believe they think it's possible... Or maybe it's the brainwashing videos we have to watch every year to discourage us from doing it that has them in oblivion. Haha

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The OP was caught talking around the water cooler to other employees while he should have been working, terminated for stealing time.

See how easy that was to get rid of a union rabble rouser?

This was in response to Mayday posting the legal side of organizing and repercussions for taking actions against the employee.

InsideScoop

Ahhh... I see. Hmmm... The way they operate I am already anticipating them doing these kinds of things... It's not just me tho... It's 50+ Of us... I am just doing some footwork on my end... No one knows exactly what route to take to get it started. We will definitely discuss the risks and rewards behind trying to do so before pursuing any further

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Oh! Makes sense! Got ya... Well in that case... I'm definitely the "Speak Up" type of person, hence me asking my question. Lol it boils me up to hear the complaints I hear or have to endure the treatment that I myself receive.

I'm determined to make this happen... Just gotta find the right info to make it happen; I don't believe anyone has ever tried to; I don't believe they think it's possible... Or maybe it's the brainwashing videos we have to watch every year to discourage us from doing it that has them in oblivion. Haha
I admire your determination and desire to make a change. In order to do that you'll need other like minded people to join in a co operative force to get the ball rolling. Just let it be known that most of your co workers may hate what goes on and "put up" with it because they need to provide to their families. These people would have already moved on or quit if the environment is as bad as you say, but they stay for some reason or another. This reason will be the same that keeps them from rising up with you, just my thoughts.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Ahhh... I see. Hmmm... The way they operate I am already anticipating them doing these kinds of things... It's not just me tho... It's 50+ Of us... I am just doing some footwork on my end... No one knows exactly what route to take to get it started. We will definitely discuss the risks and rewards behind trying to do so before pursuing any further
One thing I'd suggest you do before going any further is actually find out what local is in your area and get a driver/hourly to give you some contact info for the hall and give the BA (business agent) a call, he'll be way more of a help than anyone here as you can give him information that might otherwise incriminate you here.

InsideScoop

I admire your determination and desire to make a change. In order to do that you'll need other like minded people to join in a co operative force to get the ball rolling. Just let it be known that most of your co workers may hate what goes on and "put up" with it because they need to provide to their families. These people would have already moved on or quit if the environment is as bad as you say, but they stay for some reason or another. This reason will be the same that keeps them from rising up with you, just my thoughts.
Wow... That was actually pretty powerful. And you're right. We stay because we have no other choice at the moment. Great benefits, decent pay... Hey, who can beat that right? But when 50% of your center is on FMLA or short term disability primarily from stress due to work related issues, then you have to think? What truly matters the most here? Trust me, I've been itching for years to make a stand and I understand everyone being hesitant, but when is enough going to be enough? Oh... When that person who you guys said threatened to react physically because of the BS he had to deal with finally comes back to show you he wasn't bluffing huh? right smh

InsideScoop

One thing I'd suggest you do before going any further is actually find out what local is in your area and get a driver/hourly to give you some contact info for the hall and give the BA (business agent) a call, he'll be way more of a help than anyone here as you can give him information that might otherwise incriminate you here.
Ok. Good suggestion. That's indeed a start.

But ya know, as I said earlier, I won't make any moves unless I know I have the support behind me and the others who have rallied with me.

We all need our jobs and I don't want to leave them hanging once I move on... I'd like to see change because I care about my co-workers and also have more faith in UPS... I hate seeing such a reputable company operate so classless

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Ok. Good suggestion. That's indeed a start.

But ya know, as I said earlier, I won't make any moves unless I know I have the support behind me and the others who have rallied with me.

We all need our jobs and I don't want to leave them hanging once I move on... I'd like to see change because I care about my co-workers and also have more faith in UPS... I hate seeing such a reputable company operate so classless
Not to discourage you or call your gumption into question, but does your enthusiasm have a direct correlation to the fact you have an out? I'd wager, as I said earlier, these other guys don't, otherwise they would have left already. I'd keep that in mind when trying to rally the troops.

Another thing to consider if one of these guys does lose his job to something totally unrelated( layoff, discipline, ect) would he blame you for his misfortune because he was "associated" with you. Would you be able to handle the fact that you may or may not have had a direct hand in destroying a families only means to survive.

InsideScoop

You know Jack. You've given me some great feedback. I most certainly appreciate it; definitely something to ponder over. I myself don't have a guaranteed outlet but I have been relentless in my pursuit to find a better opportunity... In the meantime, I'm in the same boat with them as I am just as dependent on the as they are.

If things got better, I wouldn't dare think of leaving... So I guess that's why I'm passionate about making this change. But just as I am up at 12 am CST discussing this losing sleep... Those who claim they want to take a stand with me are resting soundly (as they should be) lol. Ahhh the life of a self proclaimed revolutionary

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think you just need to use UPS as a stepping stone into something more middle sized business oriented that hasn't become so large as to sweep ethics under the rug in favor of profits.
Obviously you have not spent any time working for medium-sized or big family run businesses.
They would make UPS look like the "Home of Saints".