How to work your way up?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by kevingcp, Apr 23, 2012.

1. kevingcp

kevingcp New Member

Hey everyone, I'm working as a package handler part time right now until I finish school. I'm just finishing up my 3rd year and have a year possibly a year and one or two quarters left (if I can get the classes I need). I'm getting a degree in economics and financial management and I explicitly made clear during the interview for the package handler job that if available I intend to make a career at UPS if they saw fit.

What can I do to find out if there will be the option to work up the ladder after I graduate?

Should I just wait until I graduate and for the time being work as a peon?

2. brown_trousers

brown_trousers Active Member

depends what you consider up!
  3. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Wear teamster shirts to work everyday.
  4. 728ups

728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

two words: Knee Pads
  5. Minneapolis

Minneapolis New Member

If you're looking to get into management you need to let your full time supervisor know that you're interested in becoming a supervisor.

If you're looking at a career in driving with UPS you have you wait your turn on the seniority list and kiss all the time and money that you :censored2: away in school goodbye!
  6. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

Well, you start at my toes. Slowly, you can work your way up to........

7. splozi

splozi Guest

The elbow?

That's always the sweet spot.
  8. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

I think it's about five inches below the belly button.
  9. uber

uber Guest

Prepare to sacrifice a decade of your life at low pay.
  10. Floyd Gondolli

Floyd Gondolli New Member

3 things. School, School and more School. Learn the business from the hourlies and to some extent, and i emphasize SOME management. Get your degree and do your time. School and a degree is a gateway to anything you want at UPS. Full-time hourly is just putting in your time, nothing more. Get your education and explore your options. Learn the business and listen to the hourlies. If you went into management, your experience will help you to relate to all different kinds of employees. You will have your degree, management would snatch you up in a heartbeat.
  11. splozi

splozi Guest

No, the elbow is part of your arm. sheesh
  12. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

13. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n