How UPS has nearly destroyed my life...

tieguy

Banned
Some honest feedback

1) you've worked here for less then a year. Many fine upsers have done tough jobs a lot longer. I'm not sure what you expected fromt his company after working a p/t job for less then a year.

2) With injuries there has to be a specific event. Wear and tear causing ripped tendons does not normally happen with most people after working for us for less then a year. The fact that you ended up getting some light duty out of this is unusual. We don't generally do that. Someone must have liked you or thought they owed you something. Union representation in this case would still normally be a loser because we don't normally provide light duty for what is basically classified as normal wear and tear.

3) Perhaps you had some other hard jobs that contributed to your ripped tendons before you came to work at ups? If not then you should seriously consider leaving ups. Its not usual to rip tendons in so little time. You may have a physical body structure that is not compatible with this type of work.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
Let me ask you this: If a white person was hired over a minority, the minority might cry racism. Now could a white person play the race card if the shoe was on the other foot? Absolutley not. I'm not being racist here, I'm just saying that there is a double standard here. Am I wrong?

Nope, absolutely not.

Some honest feedback

1) you've worked here for less then a year. Many fine upsers have done tough jobs a lot longer. I'm not sure what you expected fromt his company after working a p/t job for less then a year.

2) With injuries there has to be a specific event. Wear and tear causing ripped tendons does not normally happen with most people after working for us for less then a year. The fact that you ended up getting some light duty out of this is unusual. We don't generally do that. Someone must have liked you or thought they owed you something. Union representation in this case would still normally be a loser because we don't normally provide light duty for what is basically classified as normal wear and tear.

3) Perhaps you had some other hard jobs that contributed to your ripped tendons before you came to work at ups? If not then you should seriously consider leaving ups. Its not usual to rip tendons in so little time. You may have a physical body structure that is not compatible with this type of work.
Sorry Tie, gotta disagree on this. The wear and tear on muscles and tendons can very well happen i a short period of time, depending on the amount of weight and number of parcels being moved and lifted. Repetitive trauma on the body is relative directly to how much that part of the body is being used, over used. I went back and scanned over his first post and didn't see a description of his physical size, so to say that his body structure that is not compatible with this type of work is nothing more than speculation. We have women of fairly slight size doing the same job as Zero. The relatively short period of time could have more to do with conditioning than structure. Granted, this may not be the right job for Zero but that not our call to make.
I know, first hand, that in Texas, repetitive trauma can be considered the same as an on job specific incident injury. To say "
Perhaps you had some other hard jobs that contributed to your ripped tendons before you came to work at ups?" is the usual statement made to attempt to dodge a bullet by the company.
TAW, or light duty work, doesn't not have to be offered by the company, however that does allow the company to avoid a "lost time" injury on the OSHA report and decreases the cost in insurance. That is why TWA is usually not offered to off job injured people, just on job.

barnyard

KTM rider
I hate to say it, but I really do not have any sympathy for you. I have seen your personality come and go. I would bet that your more experienced coworkers asked/told you to slow down or pace yourself and I would also bet that you either ignored them or called them lazy.

At UPS if you work real hard, you will be asked to work harder. It's actually the same almost everywhere, if you solve problems for management, you will be relied on to solve problems.

You brought it on yourself, grasshopper. Hopefully you learned something.

Annnnd, before you get your panties in a wad about me not knowing about work, save it. I milked cows for 8 years before I came to UPS. I know about work.

TB

PS, this thread should be titled, "How I let UPS nearly wreck my life..."

HazMatMan

Here's a little secret. At UPS its all about seniority not how good of a job you do. That is the "union mentality". Also being a minority doesn't hurt if you are interested in management.

That's your opinion of the Union mentality. Now here is my opinion of management mentality, I only worry about my work area, if it is out of my work area I do not give a crap.(This includes jams on belts that go to other floors, that some sups actually look the other way when they see it, bulk pieces on the 2nd floor that belong to other floors that management on the 2nd floor mysteriously overlooks) I see that happen everyday, so it may not be an opinion but fact.

There are alot of minorities in UPS. Many hold high positions of Division and District roles on up.

What has that got to do with this man getting injured for working as directed and working hard? Are you saying he will be rewarded with a promotion to management? Will he be informed of the ADDITIONAL price he will have to pay for that promotion? I know a supervisor who made his way to divison manager. The ONLY thing changed about him is, he has become an even bigger jerk than he was when he was a supervisor. Does being in management also require you to ignore the HUMAN ELEMENT OF THIS JOB. You act as though we are MACHINES not human beings. We need lubrcation and fuel just as the trucks do. When a truck breaks down, you get it repaired. This man "brokedown", he got the shaft. How does the equate to getting a promotion?

tieguy

Banned
Sorry Tie, gotta disagree on this. The wear and tear on muscles and tendons can very well happen i a short period of time, depending on the amount of weight and number of parcels being moved and lifted.
reread my post. I did not say it can't happen. I said its highly unusual. And it is. There has to be more to this story. I have run many inside operations. People don't rip tendons in less then a year. Heck I didn't have people doing it after twenty years.

Fnix

What has that got to do with this man getting injured for working as directed and working hard? Are you saying he will be rewarded with a promotion to management? Will he be informed of the ADDITIONAL price he will have to pay for that promotion? I know a supervisor who made his way to divison manager. The ONLY thing changed about him is, he has become an even bigger jerk than he was when he was a supervisor. Does being in management also require you to ignore the HUMAN ELEMENT OF THIS JOB. You act as though we are MACHINES not human beings. We need lubrcation and fuel just as the trucks do. When a truck breaks down, you get it repaired. This man "brokedown", he got the shaft. How does the equate to getting a promotion?

My post was directed at the few people who were discussing minorities. It had nothing to do with the original post.

tieguy

Banned

wow. You responded to fnix. I read and reread your response to him several times and don't understand why you are responding such? He never said any of the things you are accusing him of?

Sorry Tie, gotta disagree on this. The wear and tear on muscles and tendons can very well happen i a short period of time, depending on the amount of weight and number of parcels being moved and lifted.
reread my post. I did not say it can't happen. I said its highly unusual. And it is. There has to be more to this story. I have run many inside operations. People don't rip tendons in less then a year. Heck I didn't have people doing it after twenty years.
I have been on the job for 20+ years and have not torn a tendon, however I did tear a rotator cuff. Although that was a specific injury incident, not repetitive. On the repetitive side I did/do have problems with a sciatic nerve that crops back up from time to time. The Doctors (both mine and the company's) agreed that it was from repetitive trauma from daily driving UP$ trucks with bad seating, no workable shocks and crappy springs.
And really Tie, just because you haven't seen it happen doesn't mean it is highly unusual. I'm sure there are some reports somewhere you can research to see just how often this occurs at UP$. That would be interesting to find out.

wow. You responded to fnix. I read and reread your response to him several times and don't understand why you are responding such? He never said any of the things you are accusing him of?
I'm with you Tie, why respond to Fnix? It was impacted or whatever that brought up minorities in this thread. Geeez, ever notice some people just seem to have reading disabilities?

steamroll

Non-white males. Our district was full of excellent white males that got passed over for women, asians, blacks with a lot less experience or ability. Minorites in management is a balanced scorecard element so you can't tell me that it has impact on who gets promoted.
well it seems that ups always changes the rules. first they tell the potential candidate he or she must put thier time in. if they already put thier time in then ups tell them they must obtain a degree. well there's plenty of white male managers that don't even have a college degree. is that the good ol' boy network of politics. i guess some still want the same old legacy.

Last edited:

steamroll

No. It is called reverse discrimination. And there isnt a thing you can do about it.
well one must reap what they sowed. so if one person didn't hire a qualified person because of any kind of politics. then the u.s. government passes a law against any kind of discrimination. so now someone may have a opportunity that they didn't have before. so folks that complained about reverse discrimination, racism, the shoe is on the other foot. now you know what it feels like. if there was no prejudice, racism, discrimination, laws wouldn't be pass to give someone basic rights, that the majority already had.

dillweed

There's nothing we can do about it so relax. Hopefully future generations will reap the benefits of equal opportunity.

Successful people will try and raise their children to be successful. New generations of diverse, intelligent and successful people. :happy2:

If the cycle doesn't stop, it may at least slow down.

Overpaid Union Thug

Let me ask you this: If a white person was hired over a minority, the minority might cry racism. Now could a white person play the race card if the shoe was on the other foot? Absolutley not. I'm not being racist here, I'm just saying that there is a double standard here. Am I wrong?

I've always wondered that myself. Can a white person living in an area where blacks are the majority be awarded jobs through affirmative action?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
well one must reap what they sowed. so if one person didn't hire a qualified person because of any kind of politics. then the u.s. government passes a law against any kind of discrimination. so now someone may have a opportunity that they didn't have before. so folks that complained about reverse discrimination, racism, the shoe is on the other foot. now you know what it feels like. if there was no prejudice, racism, discrimination, laws wouldn't be pass to give someone basic rights, that the majority already had.
I didnt sow it, and I know how it feels, and I worked to improve my self, and if a white male or other minority gets hired over me, it should be because the are more qualified, not becuase they are the minority on the quota. And every person should be treated equally, regardless if they are black, or white.

ImpactedTSG

I've always wondered that myself. Can a white person living in an area where blacks are the majority be awarded jobs through affirmative action?
If you don't get shot first, then yes you could get a job as a minority. But make sure you know less than most if not all of the people that work under you.