How UPS would view this?

JWOO

Up front, thanks for your time and information.

My questions are, would walking into UPS with an MBA, 20+ years (retired USAF Officer) military service and asking for a job as a "delivery" driver (not sure about the terminolgy) seem ridiculous and/or dodging responsibility? Yes, I know there is responsibility in every job, but I'm looking for something that pays OK, but that which carries a lot less weight than the one I've been doing for quite sometime now.

After I retire, if the road leads me to the doorstep of UPS, I was wondering how to present my case to them that I would like a job of delivering, no management B.S., not stuck in a building/office or the likes thereof!

If not viewed badly, what are the chances of getting a "delivery/driver" job right of the get-go?

Thank you....

leastbest

LeastBest
You have to work part - time, plus you are too old to start. You are probably close to forty and after part time you would be in your middle to late forties. Too late to start a job this strenuous.

wyobill

Part time would be your best bet. You can wait years to get
behind the wheel of a package car and that job is for a 25 yr old that cant sit still. :happy2:

25yrvet

Don't give up that easily, UPS hires seasonal drivers for the Christmas season and summer vacations in certain areas. Make sure you are in excellent shape before applying. If you do a good job they could call you back. The company is having trouble finding new people with good work ethics, and that could be your 'in'.
Just had a son graduate from USAFA.

JWOO

Since I'm "too" old to throw boxes and I've had about enough of management positions...............next stop..........the US Post Office.................thanks for your help everyone.

Best of luck!

trickpony1

Since I'm "too" old to throw boxes and I've had about enough of management positions...............next stop..........the US Post Office.................thanks for your help everyone.

Best of luck!

If you're a honorable discharged veteran and within a short window of discharge you will gain preference points for the employment process. I wouldn't mess around.

stitch

if i was you i would try feeders (tractor trailers) i got a buddy that started as a casual now hes full time. got another buddy that is a retired city cop went to ups feeders got on right away!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would suggest the Post Office only because you will be able to get credit for your military service and you would eventually become a triple dipper (military retirement, USPS retirement, and Social Security). You will also have an edge on your competition because of your military service. However, you will quickly find that the military and the P.O. have absolutely nothing in common and you will become frustrated quite quickly by the apathy that you will find runs rampant.

I have 8 yrs military but chose UPS as I was only 27. You must be at least 40-42 (maybe 45?) and to start at UPS now would be a tough transition for you.

Either way you go I am sure you will do just fine.

drewed

Shankman
I would suggest the Post Office only because you will be able to get credit for your military service and you would eventually become a triple dipper (military retirement, USPS retirement, and Social Security). You will also have an edge on your competition because of your military service. However, you will quickly find that the military and the P.O. have absolutely nothing in common and you will become frustrated quite quickly by the apathy that you will find runs rampant.

I have 8 yrs military but chose UPS as I was only 27. You must be at least 40-42 (maybe 45?) and to start at UPS now would be a tough transition for you.

Either way you go I am sure you will do just fine.

Im pretty sure he can buy his time served into the USPS so hed be working with combined service time for retirement eligibilty

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Im pretty sure he can buy his time served into the USPS so hed be working with combined service time for retirement eligibilty

Exactly. He would get points on his exam because of his military service and he would be able to buy his time so that his time with the USPS would be combined.

Going from the military to the USPS is going to be quite a transition for him.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You have to work part - time, plus you are too old to start. You are probably close to forty and after part time you would be in your middle to late forties. Too late to start a job this strenuous.
HAH!!!!!!!!!!! Who are you to decide who is to old to start. I didn't start until I was 43 and am now a pkg car driver. So take your advice somewhere else.

JWOO, Go for it. You will never know unless you try.

browniehound

Best of luck!

Whoa, wait a second. UPS will not descriminate based on age. At least they are not supposed to. You will need to start part-time or as a "Temp Driver".

Starting PT can get you a drving job in 1-8 years depending on your location. Still, you could get a 22.3 job (named after the article in our contract which created the jobs), in 6 months to 2 years. I got mine in 5 months and was driving full-time in under 12 months. These are full-time jobs consisting of 2 part-time jobs.

This would be your best chance to get on the road ASAP. Heck, you might be happy with just a 22.3 job. I think this would be better than the post-office because you will have more options in the future and I think the pay is better than the USPS.

When bid-time arrives you can move to a more desirable 22.3, stay where you are, or maybe bid on full-time driving route. Also, the 22.3's can be better on your body. They usually consist of a shift of difficult labor (loading, unloading, sorting in the hub) and a shift of easier labor (air-driving, small-sort, drving bulk trains, clerical).

I think you should give UPS a shot.

helenofcalifornia

All of this info is good information for you, but, bottom line, it depends on where you live and how big your UPS center or hub is. The bigger the better for more oportunity. I work in a small center and had to wait many, many years to go driving. (Worth the wait for me!) Again, good luck.

JWOO

Thank you for everybody's help..............I appreciate it!

Gonna buy some UPS stock soon as it comes down a little more.

Keep up the good work......