How UPS would view this?

Overpaid Union Thug

Since I'm "too" old to throw boxes and I've had about enough of management positions...............next stop..........the US Post Office.................thanks for your help everyone.

Best of luck!

The problem with getting a job at the USPS is that so many people are applying right after separating form the Air Force. Believe me I tried right after I separated. There seems to be a myth that there is a job waiting for each and every person that gets out out of the military (honorably). Since there are so many people with military backgrounds applying you will be competing with them. Many people apply many times and never get hired. Others apply once and land a job. It really just depends on the timing and luck. Just like an "average joe" applying for any other job. If you do get a job please don't be like most of those postal carriers and actually try and deliver packages instead of using those "sorry we missed you" cards as a wait out of having to get out of the truck. :)

old levi's

blank space
You have to work part - time, plus you are too old to start. You are probably close to forty and after part time you would be in your middle to late forties. Too late to start a job this strenuous.

Wrong! I was 44 the first day I delivered ( after 13 years of part time).
55 now and run a tough route every day.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
How old is too old to start?
I think if you want to try, you should. You obviously already know the down sides, and upsides.
After all how old will you be if you dont try it?
Good luck, Im hanging in there most days just fine, and Im 50. (did I say that)< OMG.
And if you dont like driving after you try it, there are many other jobs at UPS. With your degree, you could go anywhere, and not neccesarily into management.

feeder53

ADKtrails
JWOO, I am a Military Officer, have 20 years Teamsters work and applied to UPS and it will get you no perks. I have started as a seasonal Feeder driver and my last day of work was just after Christmas. But thats me, go for it...

finaddict

If you really want to drive a couple others suggested Feeders and that would probably be your best bet but you'd be at the bottom of the list and more than likely on-call for some time. Let Uncle Sam pay your CDL training. The benefit of pkg car is day work but it's typically all day and you can't get squat done as far as any personal buisness. Plus wee gave up 6 months in the new contract for progression so it takes 3 years to make the "big" bucks. Better off finding a DOD or civil service position.

Buffy

You didn't say what area you would be looking for a job in. There are parts of the country where we hire drivers off the street. I have seen quite a few older then you make it as a driver. I know 2 drivers who started in their 50's. You're right, you don't have the stamina of a 20 something but if you have the brains to work harder not smarter, you can do it. Just realize that in October all driving jobs are seasonal. You will be let go on Dec. 31. If you did a good job, you can get rehired in 2009.

bellesotico

BOXstar
You didn't say what area you would be looking for a job in. There are parts of the country where we hire drivers off the street. I have seen quite a few older then you make it as a driver. I know 2 drivers who started in their 50's. You're right, you don't have the stamina of a 20 something but if you have the brains to work harder not smarter, you can do it. Just realize that in October all driving jobs are seasonal. You will be let go on Dec. 31. If you did a good job, you can get rehired in 2009.

Depends on where you are. Our seasonal drivers are done after Labor day.

InTheRed

Isn't a 'casual driver' a fdx driver

What do you mean by that?

I know different districts/different locals have different opinions on casual drivers. Some districts hire casual/seasonal drivers for summer/peak and some districts use their part timers to fill in these holes. Depends on the local supplement.

browniehound

What do you mean by that?

I know different districts/different locals have different opinions on casual drivers. Some districts hire casual/seasonal drivers for summer/peak and some districts use their part timers to fill in these holes. Depends on the local supplement.

I'm guessing that "1989" has a sense of humor and was joking when he asked "aren't Fed-Ex drivers casual drivers?"

I'm sure he knows the definition of "casual" drivers as it applies to UPS. I just think he was ranking on his local Fed-Ex drivers because their trucks are empty yet they always act stressed and complain of too much work:sick:.

Give me a break. A fed-Ex express courier doesn't know what work is. I'm sorry. I understand Fed-Ex has commit times too, but they have no idea what delivery stress is.

Most of UPS's trucks go out 100% full. I know I can't walk through my truck even at 3pm. Fed-Ex ground is DONE at 3pm! Also I have yet to see any competition vehicle "blown out". Not one! Not a one, ever! Yet our trucks are bursting at the seams everyday!

The competition might be winning some battles, but UPS is still winning the war. I don't care what you say about less volume, my own eyes tell me we are OK.

If the day comes that a competition truck opens its rear door and packages start spilling on the street, then I will worry. This scenario is played out everyday at the first stop of 75% of our routes in my center, but I have yet to see this once, ever, with our competition.

Business Development will claim the competition has the upper hand because they can pay their people non-union wages. I can understand that, but have one statement to make.

If DHL (formerly Airborne) can exist paying their drivers over $20 per hour with 35 packages in each truck, then I have complete faith in UPS's profitability when they stuff 300+ packages in each package car and only pay their drivers a few bucks more.

It gets under my skin when I hear or read that "we get paid the highest wage in the industry" Yeah? We also are the most productive in the industry, so I think its justifed and we deserve it. We do the most work, so why shouldn't we recieve the higher wage?

I'm willing to say my SPORH is twice that of my fellow Fed-Ex ground driver's. I'm sure I don't make twice as much so it looks to me that UPS is getting us at a bargain at 28.14/hour and I'm serious. Its a bargain.

I'd like to see UPS run their operation strictly with laid-off DHL drivers. UPS would be done if thats what they were left to pick from:whiteflag:.

That 28.14 looks better and better the more they ponder the alternative, I'm sure!

The way to do it, is to get hired as a part timer. And unless you are hard up for money,,, i would saw dont do it. Its some hard , back breaking work. Then will take years to get into driving...

But they also hire off the street sometimes for drivers. Check out the online job wanted websites... I saw a UPS ad wanting FT delivery and feeder drivers in a hub a hour south of me few months back o_0

City Driver

if i was you i would try feeders (tractor trailers) i got a buddy that started as a casual now hes full time. got another buddy that is a retired city cop went to ups feeders got on right away!

i always heard it takes a ton of seniority to bid into feeders