How was your Friday after Thanksgiving?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I was asking the active employees.

Dave, when I started, we worked the Friday after Thanksgiving. I think it was two contracts later that we got the day off, giving up our birthday in the bargain.

It was a cluster**** then, and I'm sure it was today for most.

As far as Monday, pickups were made today, the system is still running and I don't feel it will be any easier.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
When you started there was no e-commerce and Peak was more predictable.

My point is, Monday will be just as bad if not worse. Today's pickup volume will be dumped on top of the normal surge.

And, mail-order catalogs (and yes, even some back then with toll-free numbers) were darned near as big as e-commerce.

M

Mike hunt

Do any of you feel that it was a smart business decision to work today?

Do any of you feel that what was delivered today will make any difference on Monday?
Yes I think making a decision like this to show Amazon and the general public that we mean business was necessary.

As far as priming the system for Monday. I think monday will be very light and this won't make to much of a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My point is, Monday will be just as bad if not worse. Today's pickup volume will be dumped on top of the normal surge.

And, mail-order catalogs (and yes, even some back then with toll-free numbers) were darned near as big as e-commerce.

Mail order catalogs wouldn't put a dent in today's e-commerce volume.

I was there when Spiegel was big. Amazon does more in one day than Spiegel would do all year.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Mail order catalogs wouldn't put a dent in today's e-commerce volume.

I was there when Spiegel was big. Amazon does more in one day than Spiegel would do all year.

And, how big was the UPS network then? When I started, we were still expanding in the Continental U.S.

Trust me, Dave, it was just as bad.

(As an aside, peak planning was much better then and way more manageable because the managers were actually allowed to manage and react to changes themselves. You know, boots on the ground.)

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yes I think making a decision like this to show Amazon and the general public that we mean business was necessary.

As far as primary my the system for Monday. I think monday will be very light and this won't make to much of a difference.
Cyber Monday will be light? Doubtful.....especially with all the.trailers full of closed stops from today.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Dave, when I started, we worked the Friday after Thanksgiving. I think it was two contracts later that we got the day off, giving up our birthday in the bargain.

It was a cluster**** then, and I'm sure it was today for most.

As far as Monday, pickups were made today, the system is still running and I don't feel it will be any easier.
I expected a disaster but when I walked in pre load was wrapped which they haven't been in 2 years I was surprised......and it was a nice day....but I know Monday its back to reality

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I probably had a whole shelf worth of closed stuff today that I didn't know was going to be closed in time to just have it go on the trailer. Add what did go on the trailer and all the new stuff incoming, Monday is going to be bad.

bumped

Do any of you feel that it was a smart business decision to work today? NO

Do any of you feel that what was delivered today will make any difference on Monday? Sure, Monday will be much lighter. We'll probably break routes Monday

IMHO, UPS falls behind when it breaks routes on inclement weather days. It snows 4 inches, so break routes and EC. That we can't easily catch up with.

BUCN85

Do any of you feel that it was a smart business decision to work today?

Do any of you feel that what was delivered today will make any difference on Monday?
I don't think it's making a differnce. Our preload is still starting at 2am Monday. Which I think was the same last year

scisector9

Worked 10.5 hours today. 139 stops 189 miles. 2 pick ups. Didn't bother me in the slightest cruising the gravels getting paid double plus holiday. A lot of routes were light today and several guys still out when I got back. Did it help? Some I think but next week will still be awful with volume and all the businesses we pulled today.

I have to say it was rather odd delivering a full operation today. Preload was wrapped up when I got in and the silence was awkward. Had a crash today too in my building. Sure that change in schedule affected all of us. I was off my game a bit.

Hold on tight for the bumpy ride ahead. Next four weeks will be fun!