How was your Friday after Thanksgiving?

DOK

Funny thing about today is that people in the building think that since the calendar next black Friday is not marked as a holiday that we won't get holiday pay. They think the calendar trumps the contract. These are not newbies either.
Lol, I've noticed the same in our building...

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Spent all morning driving to empty parking lots an sheeting cloH. The afternoon was spent running residential. Got done by 3:30. Was it a smart business decision? I don't know because I am just a dumb truck driver that works as instructed.

brostalss

Went out with 98 stops. Only 7 of my 41 picks ups were open. Easy day. Was in the building and off the clock around 4pm. Home before dark was my goal.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
FWIW, I had guys texting me at 20:45 telling me they were just punching out. But we're in a still-voluntary local so it was expected that if you elected to work you were going to get hammered.

DorkHead

I had 210 stops, helper for 8 hours, punched out at 19:33
8 hours Holiday pay, 8 hours straight time, 2 hours of overtime at triple time.
Yes, I think it was a smart move for the company.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
It was a smart move for the company. I had a lot commercial stops closed for the day, but that's not the reason we worked. We worked to get those residential deliveries done because that's the area we will be hit hardest Monday and Tuesday.

About the 2015 calendar, it's for the customers not UPS employees. It doesn't show Black Friday as a holiday because we want the businesses to know it's a regular working day at UPS. Our contract showing that day as a holiday shouldn't be a concern for our shippers. I still would be shocked to see any businesses that were closed yesterday to open next year. Fed-Ex has always worked a full day and that hasn't created more open pickups.

guyinthebrownbox

I was fortunate enough to have the day off. I'm in feeders but a few fellow drivers were saying they were doing a ton of local work moving empty trailers out of the yard. Supposedly dispatch is trying to prime the building as much as possible for the oncoming cyber Monday onslaught. This is what I interpreted. We are a hub so we process a few amazon warehouses

Do I think it was a smart business decision? Although I prefer to have the day off, Yes simply so the customers can see that we are attempting to stay ahead of the game.

Do I think it helped? Yes, to an extent. It may have purged some of early next week's volume but we all know there are going to be tons of last minute online shoppers. To me; that's when the real test comes.

Sent from a Glade plug-in

Conan04

I probably had a whole shelf worth of closed stuff today that I didn't know was going to be closed in time to just have it go on the trailer. Add what did go on the trailer and all the new stuff incoming, Monday is going to be bad.

I wasn't inspired by the package dispatch team in my building. I loaded in a place where it is awkward to do add cuts.