How was your Peak?

Rate your Peak! (10 would be the best)

• Total voters

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I gave it a 9. The weather was extremely cooperative, the loads were alll here on time and the air, which was late only twice, was shuttled out to us. I did have a daily add/cut from a neighboring area that I normally don't get at Peak because the driver for that area was struggling but with the help of an awesome helper I was able to punch out at the same time as I do during the rest of the year.

guinness413

...i like summer peak better,daylight to 830 or 900 makes its easier to deliver late...spring peak was fun because we had mothers day and easter...fall peak stunk just thinking aboot winter peak coming and the turn the clock back and all that..overall,i made 80K to hump packages,listen to my music,flirt with married chicks,eat all day..so it was a good year..

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I gave it a 6. Planning and staffing were a disaster, this was our heaviest peak by a fairly significant margin and we didn't have enough drivers. This week they were bring in supervisors from other buildings to run routes, HR folks were browned up, they even had a mechanic running bulk stops at one point. The reasons I didn't rate it lower were A) We got very lucky with the weather, not one flake of snow and B) I made a lot of money.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I gave it an 8. Overall it was not to bad. I didn't have a jumper for most of the last 2 weeks (+10). Air was late everyday (-2). All in all not too bad, plus I ended up not having to work today.

8Years2Go

Smoothest peak in 28 years. Dispatcher listened to my advice in September and followed it to the T during peak. Out of the building every day within 10 minutes of start time. One of my 3 best pre-loaders of all time! Nice tight loads that stayed that way all day. Center team is one of the best we've had in my 28 years. Very good jumper. And of course the weather, other than rain it was very mild. No feeder delays.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Weather was fantastic, or it would have been a total nightmare
Hired drivers all quit.
Didnt hire enough helpers. Dont want one anyway.
Split runs put together should alleviate some of the bulk in cars, and they just put in resi split cars. Friday was the worst.

I think manangement went in their bunkers and hid the last two days. They would tell me how light I was, (just because they were hoping they were closed most were not. then with late air bring me out thirty stops, at 2 oclock, many preferred businsses which were open. Then once I could arrange my truck, I would find the section they said they had pulled off. IE Pulled out of my EDD doesn not make it come off the truck. Well sure send the loaders home, step over a dollar to save a dime.
Calls to center, resulted in "they are not answering their phones".
OMG please tell me they are not plainning again" frightful thought there.
Then at 615 the "team mate" who was suppose to get the split, comes to take my air and ground since I wont be in til 10 and hes done and going home. Was that not sweet of him?
I said, did you have a bunch of stuff not in your board?
he says Yea, I saw that.
I said you never thought maybe you should come take it from me, or something like that? Weell he says I could take a couple now. Screw it and you
Merry Christmas Young man, just wait summer peak is coming.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Actually I probably should have rated it the worst, but I was being kind. And I cant remember that far back.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Worst peak in 22 years!! Understaffed by 5 drivers at least due to IE underestimating this years volume. Worked 12 hour days for almost 2 full months. Started early in November . Only good day was Friday where most of the business stops were closed and I was actually able to get some resi"s off before pickups.

upsman68

The only complaint is my package car should have been bigger. I go out with a P700 during the non peak times with about 250 packages. My peak volume averaged 375 to 400 packages a day. I was taking too much time fighting with packages all day. I asked my sup to change me to a bigger car but to no avail

tourists24

Worst peak in 22 years!! Understaffed by 5 drivers at least due to IE underestimating this years volume. Worked 12 hour days for almost 2 full months. Started early in November . Only good day was Friday where most of the business stops were closed and I was actually able to get some resi"s off before pickups.

Have you ever heard of IE ever "over"estimating the volume and letting everyone get done early?

Borderline 9.5

Considering that we got a new center manager and two on car sups in the beginning of December it went just the way I thought it would go. Mass confusion and way under staffed.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
LOL Tourists - I'm not sure who over estimated Saturday (my mgt or IE) but they had half the center scheduled for Saturday. Most everyone went home including me. I was very happy. It's the first Christmas eve that I didn't have to work. :cheers:

slantnosechevy

We have a center manager who never drove. Two driver Supes who never drove. One on heavy anti-depressants and another who flunked the delivery/driving test given to hourly yet promoted anyway. Six pre-load supes whose only means of communication is a shrug of their shoulders. Lucky for the customers we have a large number of veteran drivers and loaders who over came all this including late airs and over dispatched days(even by peak standards). I guess UPS finally got their "team concept" from the early '90's after all. I rate year round peak at 5.