How will Obamacare effect our insurance?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My oldest son turns 26 in about six weeks. I got a letter the other day from Central States reminding me of this and also offering to continue coverage if we make self-payments. We have 60 days to notify the Self-Payments Dept in writing if he wants to stay on the plan. There are no prices quoted in the letter, does anybody in the same situation have any idea of how much this will cost?

Bad Gas!

My oldest son turns 26 in about six weeks. I got a letter the other day from Central States reminding me of this and also offering to continue coverage if we make self-payments. We have 60 days to notify the Self-Payments Dept in writing if he wants to stay on the plan. There are no prices quoted in the letter, does anybody in the same situation have any idea of how much this will cost?

Start looking outside central states..They want $155 a week last I heard to keep your kid in..

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Start looking outside central states..They want $155 a week last I heard to keep your kid in..

$155 a week?? Thats ridiculous. He won't need it much longer anyways. "Walking Dead" starts up again this week, my zombie playing son will get stabbed in the forehead by Daryl in about the fourth episode.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I know that they wanted $277 a month for Cobra.

brett636

After considering it a little longer its apparent to me that future contracts will eliminate insurance for part-timers all together as a result of Obamacare. Lets think about this for a moment, UPS doesn't really want 30 somethings or older adults coming in as part time workers mostly because they won't be able to work as hard as an 18 year old, and will probably have family to add to the insurance jacking up the rates UPS pays. Now what good does it to offer insurance today to people who are under 26 since their parents are technically mandated to purchase insurance and that insurance has to allow "kids" up to age 26 on their policies? It really makes no sense, and considering UPS will be pushing to reduce its own healthcare burden a very possible concession will be to eliminate part-timers insurance, or atleast for those under 26 years old since they don't need it. New incoming part timers are typically given the shaft anyways when it comes to contract time so why would this trend change now?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
We won't lose insurance. I don't know why people keep thinking that. It's part of our overall benefit package. We'll have the choice to keep our plan or go on one of the offered plans of the exchanges. The union won't let it fall out. I don't have a problem with the waiting period for insurance because UPS was throwing money away for employees who only stayed on for 6-9 months. There is a tax break offered to large companies to keep policies and a tax penalty every year the company decides to not offer insurance for each employee. Fact check Obamacare to keep out the crap slinging from both sides of the table. Personally, I like parts of Obamacare, I don't like insurance being mandatory by the government. Our rights don't include insurance. States or city/county's should have more control over insurance as they're more likely to have a handle on their populations than the government.

bumped

We won't lose insurance. I don't know why people keep thinking that. It's part of our overall benefit package. We'll have the choice to keep our plan or go on one of the offered plans of the exchanges. The union won't let it fall out. I don't have a problem with the waiting period for insurance because UPS was throwing money away for employees who only stayed on for 6-9 months. There is a tax break offered to large companies to keep policies and a tax penalty every year the company decides to not offer insurance for each employee. Fact check Obamacare to keep out the crap slinging from both sides of the table. Personally, I like parts of Obamacare, I don't like insurance being mandatory by the government. Our rights don't include insurance. States or city/county's should have more control over insurance as they're more likely to have a handle on their populations than the government.

I seen dozens of people in my part time years come to UPS just to have a baby just for the insurance. After the baby was born, and no complications they were gone.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I'm sure it happens. I don't mind UPS having new employees wait a year to get insurance. I don't like the 2 year thing for family and dental...that was a stretch. But they were wasting lots of dough on employees showing up for 6 to 9 months on average and quitting. Smart money...too bad they didn't use that money on keeping culture building things like random BBQ's and picnics and turkeys like they used too.