How will self driving cars impact UPS jobs?

Gone fishin

No. The front-facing sensors are mounted low on the front bumper.

If the trailer had had side skirts or if the wheels had been in front of the car, the accident probably wouldn't have happened.
Anyway it happened,the guy is dead. I have kids ,I can't take that chance. No problem with others having one unless they crash into me. Lol

dudebro

But there are 33,000 fatal human driving car crashes a year. 100 a day, almost. Guess we should stop letting people, oh, wait....

Gone fishin

They are accidents which there will always be accidents in everything we do in life. This guy could of been just cruising to the store and now your dead because car malfunctioned. These cars are barely even out on the road and people are dying. I'm just saying I'd much rather be in control than let a car computer

dudebro

Automation is safer on highways now, and it won't take long before it's true everywhere. The difference is, we're alarmed at 1 automated car fatality, but we brush off thousands of human ones.

One day soon, piloting your own car will be looked at the way drunk driving is now. "How DARE you take control of your car on public roads! It's a PRIVILEGE not a right."

KDubb3

I know this is an old thread but feeder drivers will be hit first. Ups is already taking about this in their meetings is what I heard from our center manager. There will still be feeder jobs but they will be paid less. The law requires someone to be in the cab to baby sit I guess you could say. There are a few companies out here in the Bay Area that are already working on self driving ups feeder trucks.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
From what the union has recently said. Worst case scenario feeder has only 10 years left before automation. I'm guessing there is a lot of red tape to cut through before companies can apply this new tech. On the upside. Package is safe for a few more decades.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I know this is an old thread but feeder drivers will be hit first. Ups is already taking about this in their meetings is what I heard from our center manager. There will still be feeder jobs but they will be paid less. The law requires someone to be in the cab to baby sit I guess you could say. There are a few companies out here in the Bay Area that are already working on self driving ups feeder trucks.
If you still need a class A and still put in the hours I don't see why the pay would go down. I believe that's wishful thinking of management.