How will the new mimimum wage affect UPS?

RiskyBusiness

Is it too early for the teamsters or UPS to plan for the coming years regarding the new pay rate in California? Starting Jan it's a 50 cent increase as well as the following year then $1 raises till it reaches $15 in 2022. By that year I will have finally reached $15/hr through the contracts yearly raises. Does UPS plan to compete for new hires with something more than the standard wage or will it break their bank?

As I understand this new wage means someone flipping hamburgers is just as valuable to their company as a preloader who is solely responsible for a drivers day regarding the load quality. Not to take anything away from hardworkers in the fast food industry, I'm just extremely curious about the future of Brown and it's PTers. Anyone with some insight or has experienced this situation in the past you're welcome to share your thoughts as I'd love to hear it.

SmallPackageBoi

Missloader
They won't do anything about it. I know people who started out at 9 an hour when that was the norm, then I got hired in at 11 an hour and they were mad b/c they just got there last raise and have been there forevs

RiskyBusiness

They won't do anything about it. I know people who started out at 9 an hour when that was the norm, then I got hired in at 11 an hour and they were mad b/c they just got there last raise and have been there forevs
lol welp guess that's just something we will all have to get used to seeing in the coming years

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Is it too early for the teamsters or UPS to plan for the coming years regarding the new pay rate in California? Starting Jan it's a 50 cent increase as well as the following year then $1 raises till it reaches $15 in 2022. By that year I will have finally reached $15/hr through the contracts yearly raises. Does UPS plan to compete for new hires with something more than the standard wage or will it break their bank?

As I understand this new wage means someone flipping hamburgers is just as valuable to their company as a preloader who is solely responsible for a drivers day regarding the load quality. Not to take anything away from hardworkers in the fast food industry, I'm just extremely curious about the future of Brown and it's PTers. Anyone with some insight or has experienced this situation in the past you're welcome to share your thoughts as I'd love to hear it.

What it means is that a gallon of milk will cost 7 bucks in a few years in California.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

They're already picking from the bottom of the barrel. This won't help.
If you add the benefits, you could at least double your hourly wage to get your real compensation. Problem is most young people who take the job don't need those benefits so it's not really a factor.

RiskyBusiness

If you add the benefits, you could at least double your hourly wage to get your real compensation. Problem is most young people who take the job don't need those benefits so it's not really a factor.

Not totally sure that the benefits double the hourly rate in compensation but I do agree they add a large value to it. I see your point though. HR once told me that it cost the company a load of money to train new hires and if they drop out within a certain amount of months that the company doesn't regain that money spent from that hire. If they are already picking from the bottom of the barrel how does this help UPS when they don't intend to stay competitive with other companies? This would just increase theft, quitters, slackers etc.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Not totally sure that the benefits double the hourly rate in compensation but I do agree they add a large value to it. I see your point though. HR once told me that it cost the company a load of money to train new hires and if they drop out within a certain amount of months that the company doesn't regain that money spent from that hire. If they are already picking from the bottom of the barrel how does this help UPS when they don't intend to stay competitive with other companies? This would just increase theft, quitters, slackers etc.
The last year I worked part time inside, the amount listed on my w2 for employer provided health insurance was more than I made the entire year..... but if you don't need it, it's debatable whether it's worth anything. That's a short sighted way to look at it though. Not to mention pension contributions, job security, guaranteed raises etc....

I've always wondered why locals in high cost of living areas don't try to negotiate higher wages than the master agreement gives for part timers. Oh wait, I remember, they don't vote, so screw them....

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The last year I worked part time inside, the amount listed on my w2 for employer provided health insurance was more than I made the entire year..... but if you don't need it, it's debatable whether it's worth anything. That's a short sighted way to look at it though. Not to mention pension contributions, job security, guaranteed raises etc....

I've always wondered why locals in high cost of living areas don't try to negotiate higher wages than the master agreement gives for part timers. Oh wait, I remember, they don't vote, so screw them....

Flipping burgers is a job. Working at UPS is a road to a career.
A difference that California legislatures don't understand apparently.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Way it's been here lately, it's a shortcut to a career.
Lots of part timers with only a few months in are becoming drivers. Drivers with less than 2 years on road going feeders. It doesn't get much better than this.

RiskyBusiness

you can't really discount flipping burgers as a non career as ridiculous as that may sound it's just a entry level job just like many others. You can spend 10 yrs PT at UPS and barely start to get the go ahead to cover drive, in the same time couldn't a Mc Donalds employee become a franchisee owner or upper level management around the same pay if they dedicated themselves?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
you can't really discount flipping burgers as a non career as ridiculous as that may sound it's just a entry level job just like many others. You can spend 10 yrs PT at UPS and barely start to get the go ahead to cover drive, in the same time couldn't a Mc Donalds employee become a franchisee owner or upper level management around the same pay if they dedicated themselves?

Part time work ,on the lines of a burger flipper, are meant for high school kids, college students, a parent trying to put food on the table. This type of work has always been meant as a line on a resume or quick cash under a flexible schedule. Sadly, people who make "careers" out of these "jobs" have forced the minimum wage up to a point where it will lead to worse consequences.
mcdonalds-kiosks-600.jpg

Now you will have less jobs and more people on unemployment crying they didn't get their break in life. Never underestimate businesses when the government tries to screw them. They will find a way. So will UPS.

Last edited:

km3

You'll probably make the minimum wage until your raises make your actual pay rate higher. That's the way it is for new PTers throughout most of the country now. Contract says $10.00 for "unskilled" positions, minimum wage for federal contractors is $10.15. Instead of getting a $1 raise when I went to preload, I got a $0.85 raise. Likewise, if I had remained at my "unskilled" payrate, I would only get $0.35 at my one-year mark instead of $0.50.

With other issues that UPS is sure to bring to the table, things are sure to get interesting when contract negotiations come up.

RiskyBusiness

Part time work ,on the lines of a burger flipper, are meant for high school kids, college students, a parent trying to put food on the table. This type of work has always been meant as a line on a resume or quick cash under a flexible schedule. Sadly, people who make "careers" out of these "jobs" have forced the minimum wage up to a point where it will lead to worse consequences.
mcdonalds-kiosks-600.jpg

Now you will have less jobs and more people on unemployment crying they didn't get their break in life.

This reminds me of the current movie theatres where you just walk up to a kiosk with your confirmation # and print your own tickets lol RIP

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Part time work ,on the lines of a burger flipper, are meant for high school kids, college students, a parent trying to put food on the table. This type of work has always been meant as a line on a resume or quick cash under a flexible schedule.
Part time work ,on the lines of a burger flipper, are was meant for high school kids, college students, a parent trying to put food on the table. This type of work has always been was meant as a line on a resume or quick cash under a flexible schedule.
fixed it for you.
Sadly, people who make "careers" out of these "jobs" have forced the minimum wage up to a point where it will lead to worse consequences.
Sadly, it's corporations who have used your line of thinking to keep a huge part time work force and very few full time employees that have actually caused this problem, not the employees working two part time jobs trying to make ends meet.

Just look at that terrible 2008 recession. All those jobs disappeared, only to be replaced by part time jobs when the economy improved. The full time jobs are gone and they won't return. The recession was great business for corporations.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
mcdonalds-kiosks-600.jpg

Now you will have less jobs and more people on unemployment crying they didn't get their break in life. Never underestimate businesses when the government tries to screw them. They will find a way. So will UPS.

Your point has been made and you're not even really adding anything to the topic. It's happening whether you think it's stupid or not. Do you even live in California?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Your point has been made and you're not even really adding anything to the topic. It's happening whether you think it's stupid or not. Do you even live in California?

Both my posts are two separate points.
1) A burger flipping job is not a career.
2) Businesses will find a way to circumvent legislation, as will UPS (which answered the OP's thread)

I don't live in Cali but every state is working the minimum wages up so that includes my state as well.

I could care less what you think. I made points and added to the discussion, far more than Post 19 of yours.
200.gif

Last edited: