How will you heat your home this winter?

How do you heat your home?

• Total voters

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Soberups: I don't do the wood thing anymore but what a great idea to save on the bending, saving the handle, etc.. I used to have wood splitting parties that ended up being a contest to see who was sober enough to be the Designated Driver.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
So how long exactly does a 40 pd bag of pellets burn?
I have enough wood for this year split, and enough ready to for a few more winters, but bags of wood is sounding pretty good!

brownrodster

I use oil. I have two 275 gallon tanks that I fill as late in the year as possible. I live up a large hill, and the oil truck can't make it up in the snow/ice.

Sorry to sound completely ignorant. But what do you mean by heat your house by oil ? You mean like motor oil ? I did not know that people did this. Around here some people out in the county use propane so I'm assuming that using oil is something like that. My current condo is electric unfortunately, but I've always had natural gas before this.

And it's ilegal to burn wood for heat around here. I bet some people up in the mountains can get away with it though.

over9five

Staff member
In New England, a large percentage of rural homes use home heating oil. It is really just diesel fuel.

Brownrodster, where do you live that they don't allow wood to heat? I assume it's a city and they don't allow it because it would add to the smog?

brownrodster

In New England, a large percentage of rural homes use home heating oil. It is really just diesel fuel.

Brownrodster, where do you live that they don't allow wood to heat? I assume it's a city and they don't allow it because it would add to the smog?

Medium sized city with wonderful air quality (rated top 10 in nation on some list) but I guess they want to keep it perfect so they banned burning wood.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I just got my gas bill. I'm on the balanced billing plan with April as my new cycle month. I was paying $140 per month for heat, cooking, hot water & clothes drying.

Next payment is $190 a month, at least it hasn't doubled like gasoline has!