How will you vote on $200 retire health and union helth plan?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
THE ANSWER IS TO VOTE NO on this proposal from the Teamsters.

ANYTHING LESS than the Teamsters notifying the Membership that "their" current health care plans will be maintained as they are now for the next 5 years or over the life of the next contract means a NO VOTE.

DONT BE FOOLED my brothers and sisters.

Once the Teamsters have control over your health care, they can change it WITHOUT your permission.

THiS ALONE should disqualify the Teamsters from controlling our health care plans. Just because "DAVE" likes his union health care plan, that doesnt mean that "HIS" plan is equal to or better than the PPO top notch plans that the rest of us are on.

"DAVE" has higher copays and participation percentages than the rest of us in the Blue Shield PPO plans on the west coast.

Increases in copays and participation percentages is an unacceptable value of this proposal.

I RECOMMEND A "NO" vote on this proposal.

Your local will "sell you" this proposal because thats what they are told to do. WE have to inform our locals that "THEY" cannot accept these terms and kick the issue back to hall to negotiate with the company to maintain our current health care plans as they are.

Peace

TOS

oldupsman

I, too, was in Central States but opted into the UPS plan that's been offered for some time now.

When retired, it was $200 apiece. I lost that when I turned 65. As Rod says, now I'm paying that and more for supplements that aren't even CLOSE that what I was getting for $200.

And what did I get for that $200? Just about exactly what I was getting when I was still working and it was, to me, free. Oh, yeah, $10 here and there for co-pays but so what?

I ain't gonna scream but I'm am gonna ask this: Where else can you get this kinda insurance for $200. If you can find it, PM me and I'll gladly sign up.
For those of you that think this is hokey, you better get out in the world more often.

Wish I could still get it. Thankfully, wife still is...until SHE turns 65. The, she too, gets to ENJOY (?) Medicare.
I have had the company plan for my entire UPS career and it has just been excellent. And quite honestly I'll gladly pay
$200 a month to keep it while I'm retired. And I wish they would offer it post 65, even at an increased cost.

Inthegame

I have had the company plan for my entire UPS career and it has just been excellent. And quite honestly I'll gladly pay
$200 a month to keep it while I'm retired. And I wish they would offer it post 65, even at an increased cost.
Our Union plan offers our regular plan as a supplemental plan post 65, at about $200 for participnt and spouse. Nearly 100% coverage.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
The Union is prohibited from bargaining for current retirees, but they can negotiate for future retirees. That's an important distinction, and nobody is selling out the current retirees. More misinformation from TDU.

brown_trousers

What proof do you have that the Teamster health care plans are inferior to the company plan?

The fact that it costs more! It probably varies by what region you are in, but over here in the NW, the cost of my healthcare went up when I bid from part-time (company healthcare) to ft (union healthcare). I quickly learned what a "deductible" is on the union healthcare plan, and was surprised when I ended up at the emergency room and had to pay.

the difference is really just nickel and dimes to us full-timers, making as much as we do. But as a part-timer making $100 a week, it would be a significant concession, and represent a significant portion of that $100.

As a reference: PT company healthcare was 100% coverage, no deductible, and $10 copay at doctor visits. Emergency room visits were completely free with no copay. I had extensive dental work done as a part-timer and never paid a dime, except for 20% for the cost of a crown. Vision and contact lenses were also free.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

a concession

Call it whatever you want but co-pays and deductibles make a lot of sense.

I am covered by a Teamster healthplan. I get my vision checked and a new pair of glasses every year for free. I get my teeth cleaned twice a year for free---if I need any dental work my dentist is a participating provider so that work is also free. If I have to go to the doctor I pay $10 per visit. If I have to go to the ER I pay $100---I then submit a claim to Combined Insurance and get a check for $250.

We used to have no co-pays or deductibles---our healthcare costs were skyrocketing----since they put the co-pays and deductibles in place our healthcare costs have come down significantly.

rod

Retired 22 years
$200 a month to keep it while I'm retired. And I wish they would offer it post 65, even at an increased cost.[/QUOTE]

I checked. I could maintain the same coverage with them after I turned 65 for a measly $1200 a month-------------that was just for me----they wanted another $1200 a monthfor the wife.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I guess it has to come out of hall mouth before anyone will believe the sun will rise tomorrow.

I just hope its more than the 30-40 upsers on
here.Who actually are paying attention. Our future depends on it.
Also felt that way for teamster and national elections. We are screwed I guess;-(

InsideUPS

Numerous emails have gone out to shop stewards indicating that hall has agreed to sell out retirees on healthcare, bringing their total healthcare cost from $50 to $200 a month. It looks like he's also agreed to move the remaining 50% of UPSers on company health plans to the inferior union health plans.

I will not vote in favor of selling out my hardworking retiree brothers and sisters. How about the rest of you?

Evil, I sincerely appreciate your efforts in looking out for UPS retirees and those that are about to retire such as myself. With that said, please know that $200/month is not unreasonable (IMHO) for a retiree to pay for a good retirement health insurance plan. All of this depends on the "details" of the plan such as deductibles, copays, scope of coverage, etc..

Currently in our Local, the FT retiree health coverage is $257/month for man/wife coverage. In our Local, all the FT employees are covered by a locally administered major hospital plan. The BA is the sole individual responsible for negotiating this health care coverage.

Regardless, the language in our CURRENT National Contract (page 82) states the following:

(6) The retired part-time employee will be required to make a contribution equal to the amount required by a retired full-time employee in the same Local Union.
If there is no established rate the contribution will be two hundred dollars ($200.00) per month.

oldupsman

$200 a month to keep it while I'm retired. And I wish they would offer it post 65, even at an increased cost.[/QUOTE]

I checked. I could maintain the same coverage with them after I turned 65 for a measly $1200 a month-------------that was just for me----they wanted another $1200 a monthfor the wife.
Thanks rod. I didn't know it was possible. Of course that's not quite the number I was hoping for.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
THE ANSWER IS TO VOTE NO on this proposal from the Teamsters.

ANYTHING LESS than the Teamsters notifying the Membership that "their" current health care plans will be maintained as they are now for the next 5 years or over the life of the next contract means a NO VOTE.

DONT BE FOOLED my brothers and sisters.

Once the Teamsters have control over your health care, they can change it WITHOUT your permission.

THiS ALONE should disqualify the Teamsters from controlling our health care plans. Just because "DAVE" likes his union health care plan, that doesnt mean that "HIS" plan is equal to or better than the PPO top notch plans that the rest of us are on.

"DAVE" has higher copays and participation percentages than the rest of us in the Blue Shield PPO plans on the west coast.

Increases in copays and participation percentages is an unacceptable value of this proposal.

I RECOMMEND A "NO" vote on this proposal.

Your local will "sell you" this proposal because thats what they are told to do. WE have to inform our locals that "THEY" cannot accept these terms and kick the issue back to hall to negotiate with the company to maintain our current health care plans as they are.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just reviewed my out of pocket medical expenses for 2012. (Thank you Quicken) My net expenses were $192.04 This included all medical expenses less any reimbursements from Combined. My medical expenses were for doctors office visits, Rx and ER co-pays and $225 to upgrade the lenses in my back-up pair of glasses (I chose to do this as my Rx had changed significantly). Based on the proposed 30/60/90, I would pay $1,560 toward my healthcare premiums. I'm just a dumb truck driver but I'd rather pay the occasional co-pay and annual deductible than have to pay a weekly premium.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Let's see... Given that the FT who sold out the PT in exchange for a bigger pay day are now the retirees we're referring to... Quite franly, if UPS proposed eliminating retiree health benefits in exchange for proving incumbent PT employees an extra buck an hour I'd happily vote yes.

Inthegame

Let's see... Given that the FT who sold out the PT in exchange for a bigger pay day are now the retirees we're referring to... Quite franly, if UPS proposed eliminating retiree health benefits in exchange for proving incumbent PT employees an extra buck an hour I'd happily vote yes.
So $100 more a month per part timer vs $1000 + per month per retiree for H&W... I think UPS would go for that. You'll need a boatload of extra bucks to buy a retiree health plan someday.

DOK

Where can we sign up for $200 a month retiree healthcare!!!!!!!!!!!! Ours is pushing $850!!!

Last edited:

twoweeled

Numerous emails have gone out to shop stewards indicating that hall has agreed to sell out retirees on healthcare, bringing their total healthcare cost from $50 to $200 a month. It looks like he's also agreed to move the remaining 50% of UPSers on company health plans to the inferior union health plans.

I will not vote in favor of selling out my hardworking retiree brothers and sisters. How about the rest of you?

I'm with you 100%. Although, I think we all knew the union would be selling out the retirees. Sadly, our union is also political, and since retirees don't vote, who care about them!! Loyalty you say? What loyalty? That word went out with that other word; integrity didn't it?