How would I lose my benefits?

JLB

I have worked for UPS for 13 years. I went to my doctor recently and he put me off of work for a week. My supervisor just told me that UPS will drop my insurance for not working 5 consecutive days. I do not have sick/PH days to take...I used them all earlier this year when my mother was in the hospital after a stroke. I called my local union office and they told me that they cannot do that and suggested that I talk to my HR rep at the hub. Is this a new thing with the new contract?? I cannot and should not lose my benefits because of an illness that I have provided a doctors note for. Any advice (not sarcasm) would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

upschuck

I don't know too much on this, but you should be covered until you get the COBRA mailing with the date specified of dropped medical coverage on it. When I was off several years back, it was a couple weeks of not working, plus a week+ to sign up for COBRA and make payment. I was back before I lost any medical benefit.

I don't think you'll be credited for pension though.

We only need to be compensated 40 hours in a month to have benefits the next month. Otherwise we have to fill out a disability waiver for UPS to continue our benes. It should be in you contract.

JLB

This is the first time I've taken this much time off at one time. I go to work and do my job to the best of my ability. I follow my job methods (which is way more than I can say for most of my coworkers) and am considered one of the better workers in my area. I was very upset when I was told that I could lose my hard earned benefits. I have been told in the past that an employee has to be out of work a total of 8 working days before they have to file for disability.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
It varies by area. Here our medical is through the local and its based on cumulative hours over x months. P.S. You should be using FMLA whenever you can.

foundinload

you need 1 paid day per week to keep coverage. i recently had a week in which a payroll error was made and i was paid zero hours even though i worked the whole week. the missing hours were taken care of quickly but a few weeks later i got the COBRA letter explaining that i lost coverage since i had a week with zero hours.

JLB

I have worked 47 hours so far this month. So my insurance should be safe? I have never had this much trouble when I've had to take time off. I'm assuming this is because of the new contract? Of course, I shouldn't assume anything.

I lost my benefits for 1 month on my last transfer...I didn't go to the doctor that month. Then I threw away the cobra letter that came the next month.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeah I had this happen. Will probably happen again in a few weeks. In my local you only need to work one day a month yet they send the letter out basically a month after you take a week off.

I told them what a massive waste of money it was. They didn't care about my opinion.

UPSGUY72

Call the administrator of your health insurance plan. If you don't know who that is check the back of your Health insurance card or call you union office and find out. In my area you have to work either 150 or 160 hours in one month than you could take the next 5 months off and still be covered.

Also they have to send you letter through the mail notifying you of when you health insurance is going to end and what you have to do in order not to have it end. They also have to send you paper work for cobra health insurance.

When they send you the info in the mail it can't say your cover ended last week it's going to say your coverage will end on (date ) unless you meet ----- requirements by that date.

Ms.PacMan

The nice thing about COBRA is that you have 60 days from the date you lose your coverage to enroll and it pays retroactive so you can just wait it out and see if you need it.

The cost will probably give you sticker shock like Upstate mentioned.