How would I quit?

Icyguy94

I'm done I've been here for 4 weeks already and it's too much for me too handle at this point. Do I just not show up anymore or what would be the best?

They have me loading almost 4 trucks everyday alone, I load it almost fully then the supervisors make me go to a different truck and they load the rest for the other trucks I almost completed. This is my first job (only 22 yrs old). It was going good until now the Supervisors will see I'm struggling with too many packages and rollers and just watch me struggle. Now they're telling me I need to be at 400 packages when the week before I was supposed to be at 200, The trainer for the 30 day tells me 200 the Supervisors tell me 400, I'm getting different feelings from both. I've done 350 Packages 4 times already... But don't get why they keep pressuring me to do more. I think it's time to quit Can't end up injuring myself for only $8.50 an hour. I've seen 4 people leave their first week and I'm gonna be one of the new hires gone. I love the career based, but not being treated like animals.

Icyguy94

I know I'm almost at 30, but I can't they won't let me leave early for an exam at school. I rather further my studies rather then break my back.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Put in the 30 and skate bro. And they have to let you leave to get to school. I was going to school as well when I started at UPS and they had to let me leave at a reasonable time in order for me to be able to get to class.

gotbrown

put your 30 in and stick it out, then you can not worry so much about the the numbers just work hard and do your best ....

laffter

^ Union "protection"

Within your 30 days, they can fire you because they don't like your face, and there's not much you can do about it. After 30 days, it gets tricky.

UPSGUY72

I'm done I've been here for 4 weeks already and it's too much for me too handle at this point. Do I just not show up anymore or what would be the best?

They have me loading almost 4 trucks everyday alone, I load it almost fully then the supervisors make me go to a different truck and they load the rest for the other trucks I almost completed. This is my first job (only 22 yrs old). It was going good until now the Supervisors will see I'm struggling with too many packages and rollers and just watch me struggle. Now they're telling me I need to be at 400 packages when the week before I was supposed to be at 200, The trainer for the 30 day tells me 200 the Supervisors tell me 400, I'm getting different feelings from both. I've done 350 Packages 4 times already... But don't get why they keep pressuring me to do more. I think it's time to quit Can't end up injuring myself for only $8.50 an hour. I've seen 4 people leave their first week and I'm gonna be one of the new hires gone. I love the career based, but not being treated like animals.

I understand working at UPS isn't for everyone but you made it 4 weeks so you must be doing something right. To much to handle your moving cardboard it's not that friend--ing hard. The hardest part about your job is figuring out how to tune out the stupidvisors.

Those 4 people that left there first weaker are quitters. Quitters never get anywhere in life.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The job has its challenges and down sides but it isn't difficult. It takes a certain kind of person to be a UPSer. Not to impugn your work ethic or motivation or that of those others of whom you spoke who quit, but this isn't for everyone.

SmithBarney

One thing to keep in mind, sure it's only 8.50 but you'd pay alot more for a gym membership...
preload is basically a paid workout. Work Safely it'll get easier, we had a few preload sups that loved
to press newhires just to see what they would/could do. After your 30, if they give you a hard time
just stand aside and ask them to demonstrate.. ;)

upschick95

I don't feel bad for you , you are going through nothing more than any of us did. I started out loading feeders, and yes it's always more than one truck. And yes they always want you to do more, that will NEVER change. At my hub they do NOT have to let you go early or come late for school.

BrownArmy

To the OP, if you're that close to the mystical-Unicorn 30-day mark...

(and make sure you are: like someone posted it needs to be the right 30 days...find your Union Steward or the pre-load Steward to clarify, don't ask the Sup who is currently giving you unrealistic goals...)

...then stick it out. It gives you another option. If you've made it this far, you can do the job...don't let the Sup echo-chamber get you down.

Whether or not this job is for you, who knows?

It's not a lot of money, and it's pyramid-building slave work, but it is limited hours, and if you actually make your Union/Management Certified 30 days, then you actually have some leverage to dictate your schedule.

Not much, but some.

Somewhere I heard UPS likes part-time workers who are students? (that might have been the 70's, sorry)