How would you handle this?

PTer4Ever

This morning on the preload I had a run-in with a full time sup. I work in the primary as a SPA clerk. I had just finished getting crushed on my belt and my pt sup diverted my volume to the other belts and walked away. I've been hurting lately so I took a seat on one of the slides. FT is on the catwalk above me and asks me if I'm familiar with the secondary (he cut too many people and they were getting hammered). I told him no. He asked me if I would be interested in going up there. Again I told him no.

Just for a bit of background- normally I would have been more than happy to go help out. He's asked me before to help unload after I was off the clock and on my way out and I obliged. I'm SPA only so I didn't have to help him out. When I asked for a morning off thinking that he might scratch my back since I scratched his, he told me no. Thus my refusal this morning.

He then went on a tirade about how he was paying me to sit around and do nothing. I told him that I did not control my flow and that my belt was running. He then said that I was not allowed to sit and that he never wanted to see me do that again. "It is disrespectful to your fellow employees that are actually working." He then asked me twice in a nasty tone "Do you understand me?" I was livid but bit my tongue. My pt came back and gave me more volume to scan.

This guy comes up there about once every 3 months. I'm sore and tired just like everyone else, except I actually come to work. We were down 4 people already out of 9 because he let 3 go home and one is on vacation. My pt knew I was hurting but didn't ask me if I wanted to take a paid actual. My total scans and PPH are tops in my area and I copied the numbers down from the computer to prove it.

I was going to go talk to the Package Center manager but he was gone today. I could and should probably just let this go but I have a real problem with people insulting my work ethic. If I didn't come in every day and/or sucked at my job I could understand it.

over9five

Staff member
Talk to the manager. If nothing else, you get it off your chest.

Nice job "biting your tongue". Definitely the right thing to do.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
If you sincerely are a "part-timer forever", and are not worried about going full-time, I wouldn't worry too much about this encounter. They need you more than you need them.

P.S. I personally would not sit unless a seat is provided for you to do so. That is just begging for some harrassment.

deathracer

lol i hate it when supervisors have a bad day like that one time one was yelling at me to try and impress some chick with a nice rack wich he was takling to, but it failed since he had turned down the volume on his radio so he did not hear when the other supervisor sent me to another area to help out he just stayed quiet after i told him who sent me to the other area. but yeah we usually find books and stuff to read while were sorting when its light, we definately sit on the slides the straight parts of course, management sometimes gives a look but never says anything about it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If you sit on the job you are begging for negative attention.

Just do your job and let everythign else slide. It's when you do not do your job that you will hear it.

jennie

If you sit on the job you are begging for negative attention.

Just do your job and let everythign else slide. It's when you do not do your job that you will hear it.

yes never sit, to them there is always something to do. If I ever have some time, I go to help someone else.

DS

Fenderbender
Man ,being a driver is worse!!!You can run scratch,help out a sup a thousand times,have 20 years safe driving,hand in a whack of sales leads,report theft,have the 5 and 10 point crap memorized,have no late air for 3 years,but miss one scan,and its like you purposely ran over a woman and a baby carriage.Just remember one thing.This sup will eventually get dealt to another table.Don't take it to heart.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Man ,being a driver is worse!!!You can run scratch,help out a sup a thousand times,have 20 years safe driving,hand in a whack of sales leads,report theft,have the 5 and 10 point crap memorized,have no late air for 3 years,but miss one scan,and its like you purposely ran over a woman and a baby carriage.

And your point?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Document everything and file an Article 37 grievance.

It wont change what has already happened, but maybe it will teach this jerk a lesson and spare some other poor soul from his abuse down the road.

You will also have the satisfaction of knowing that he will have to explain his actions to someone further up the corporate ladder, and waste his own time doing paperwork over it.

DS

Fenderbender
And your point?

Every missed scan results in a claim.UPS takes pride in its ability to give our customers the satisfaction of knowing where thier package is from point of pickup to delivery.My missed scan was an old label from last year from a walmart return.A reused box .The legitamite label was scanned.
I got a letter for it.
I guess my point is moot,I missed a scan.
I like the new upsers.com hoax,its a lot less boring from the earlier versions ...how about an interactive game that would involve 140 stops and a driver would be judged by his methods and bring it in under 9.5...

JonFrum

I realize it may look bad to be seen "sitting down on the job," but I believe it is not only OK, it should be mandatory.

First, PTer4Ever is not avoiding work. He is sitting down during the gaps in the package flow.

Secondly, the job of SPA Clerk involves standing in one place for the entire shift. That's not healthy. Any doctor will tell you to change your position periodically. For example, if you sit at a computer or have a desk job, you should get up and streach every hour or so. And a feeder driver should get out of the cab and walk around to streach his legs at each destination.

PTer4Ever, why not take this concern to your Health & Safety Committee? You should be entitled to be as comfortable as you wish, so long as you get the job done. That's what the science of Ergonomics is all about.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I realize it may look bad to be seen "sitting down on the job," but I believe it is not only OK, it should be mandatory.

First, PTer4Ever is not avoiding work. He is sitting down during the gaps in the package flow.

Secondly, the job of SPA Clerk involves standing in one place for the entire shift. That's not healthy. Any doctor will tell you to change your position periodically. For example, if you sit at a computer or have a desk job, you should get up and streach every hour or so. And a feeder driver should get out of the cab and walk around to streach his legs at each destination.

PTer4Ever, why not take this concern to your Health & Safety Committee? You should be entitled to be as comfortable as you wish, so long as you get the job done. That's what the science of Ergonomics is all about.

I was told, during last peak while SPA, that I was not supposed to be sitting or leaning on anything at any time. I sat down for 5-10 minutes when the flow let up. (btw the same day I went over 3 hours without a 10 minute break) They said next instance I would be written up.

Apparently in CHEMA , in the simulation room, they watch people on camera they do not like and harrass them. ;)

I am a clerk for half of my bid so I understand what the thread author is going at. It is not right to be sitting on the job ACCORDING TO UPS. Now if you ask a doctor or anyone with half a brain regarding what you are talking about, that is a different story. My point was that TO THE COMPANY it is not okay.

The best thing to do is start requesting fatigue matting , which according to the contract msut be given to clerks.

jennie

I was told, during last peak while SPA, that I was not supposed to be sitting or leaning on anything at any time. I sat down for 3 minutes when the flow let up. (btw the same day I went over 3 hours without a 10 minute break) They said next instance I would be written up.

Apparently in CHEMA , in the simulation room, they watch people on camera they do not like and harrass them. ;)

I am a clerk for half of my bid so I understand what the thread author is going at. It is not right to be sitting on the job ACCORDING TO UPS. Now if you ask a doctor or anyone with half a brain regarding what you are talking about, that is a different story. My point was that TO THE COMPANY it is not okay.

I stand my whole shift also, as most do on the inside. Thats why you must take your 10 minute break. As for being watched, I quote the rules "work everyday at ups, like your being watched, because you ARE"

UnconTROLLed

perfection

I stand my whole shift also, as most do on the inside. Thats why you must take your 10 minute break. As for being watched, I quote the rules "work everyday at ups, like your being watched, because you ARE"

yeah, what I was saying about the break was, I started at 4pm and worked until 8pm until my 10 min. i should have just walked off the SPA position after 3 hours, but would have probably been fired for job abandonment.

deathracer

yeah, what I was saying about the break was, I started at 4pm and worked until 8pm until my 10 min. i should have just walked off the SPA position after 3 hours, but would have probably been fired for job abandonment.
can they do that? i have had gone several times over 4 hours without break and my feet were just killing me, no supervisor in sight for the whole time.
i have even gone 5 hours a couple times without break cause some a-hole supervisor trying to look and kissing up to management for doing his hours.
seriously we need something were we can just tell the supervisor that we have to take our break and they cant say anything against it if its after a certain time or can we file a grievance if they do that?.

JonFrum

You have an absolute right to take a "Bathroom Break" at any time. Of course, eventually you'll be spoken to about your "problem." But they can't do much about it, unless you abuse the privilege.