How Would You Make A Living Back In the 1800's?

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I would have owned and operated a saloon that I purchased with my tips and wages as a dancing girl, hostess and bartender.

bigbrownhen

Pioneer wife. I grew up on a farm, still have a few cows, but miss the old life sometimes. Nothing like spring on a farm with all the new babies and green grass.

Big Babooba

I would be a baker. I practically was raised in a bakery. My grandparents owned one. My first job was bagging corn muffins for $2.50/ week. I was 5 yrs old then and wasn't worked too hard.

negrosangre

I would have started a courier service, to compete with the pony express and painted my horses green, so the company would be recognizable. If that didn't work, I would have been a pony express rider.

over9five

Staff member
I think I would have made a good hunter/trapper mountain man.

I would have set up my traps so I could do the route making only right hand turns with my horse.

OldUPSDriver

I would have been the "Al Gore" of the 1800's and invented the "Indian Internet" using smoke signals using the binary numerical system converted to smoke.

Tater's Dad

Ahh... the 1800 reminds me of my grandparents camp - no indoor plumbing, no running water and no electricity - it is wonderful in the summer!

But if I had to choose a living, it would be a cabinet maker - we have a long family tradition going back atleast that far.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I would've run the soup kitchen and made the best soup ever !!!! It would have little meatballs in it like Italian wedding soup does. Yummy !!

Big Babooba

I would've run the soup kitchen and made the best soup ever !!!! It would have little meatballs in it like Italian wedding soup does. Yummy !!
I'd set up shop next door to Moreluck. My specialty? Lasagna! The pan on the left is made with hard boiled egg in the layers. Garfield, eat your heart out!
0326091413.jpg

Sammie

I would be a baker. I practically was raised in a bakery. My grandparents owned one. My first job was bagging corn muffins for $2.50/ week. I was 5 yrs old then and wasn't worked too hard.

You started working at the age of five....You'll be making some
good social security $$!

Sammie

I'd set up shop next door to Moreluck. My specialty? Lasagna! The pan on the left is made with hard boiled egg in the layers. Garfield, eat your heart out!

Your lasagna looks very wonderful but hard boiled eggs?
Must be an Eastern touch...???...

moreluck

golden ticket member
I had heard, and seen some recipes where folks put hard boiled eggs in the lasagna, but never tried it. It's probably a certain region of Italy does this and others don't.

Big Babooba

I had heard, and seen some recipes where folks put hard boiled eggs in the lasagna, but never tried it. It's probably a certain region of Italy does this and others don't.
No Italian blood in me. I come from a long line of Polocks that came from the land of Leonardo DaVinski - Poland.