How would you redesign the UPS package scanner?

trubin

Hi all,

I am an industrial design student and have been tasked with designing a barcode scanner. I have decided to redesign the handheld scanner you guys and gals use daily when out delivering and picking-up packages. I am probably going with some sort of body-mounted device and am leaning towards a light-weight, touchscreen, fore-arm mounted scanner. I am also considering integrating an RFID scanner to scan multiple boxes at once without the need for direct line-of-sight with all labels.

I am looking for some input from those of you who use the current scanners: what you like, what you don't like, aspects of the physical design as well as the software that you think could be better. Is it too big/small? Too heavy? Are the physical buttons you use to input information a good size? Is it durable? What's the battery-life like? Any ergonomic issues (how does it feel in your hand)? Is it nice to look at, or ugly? Are they harder to use if you're left-handed? Are there different models of scanners that are used in different regions?

Any information you can share will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Todd

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
This was the big IE project just before designing the diad 5....naming crayons....lmao
259519997247107107dSTRWdOyc-1.jpg

TheDick

RF scanning and voice controlled diads, and most important more flexibility for driver to customize button placement, like where the sig buttons go.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
1-Big print mode! Give the option regular or larger.

2- Big arrow down. In Diad 4, one could scan, then double down on big arrow to go right into driver release screen. Can't do that on the 5.

​3- Improve the strap. They are not holding up.