How would you redesign the UPS package scanner?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by trubin, Sep 28, 2013.

1. trubin

trubin New Member

Hi all,

I am an industrial design student and have been tasked with designing a barcode scanner. I have decided to redesign the handheld scanner you guys and gals use daily when out delivering and picking-up packages. I am probably going with some sort of body-mounted device and am leaning towards a light-weight, touchscreen, fore-arm mounted scanner. I am also considering integrating an RFID scanner to scan multiple boxes at once without the need for direct line-of-sight with all labels.

I am looking for some input from those of you who use the current scanners: what you like, what you don't like, aspects of the physical design as well as the software that you think could be better. Is it too big/small? Too heavy? Are the physical buttons you use to input information a good size? Is it durable? What's the battery-life like? Any ergonomic issues (how does it feel in your hand)? Is it nice to look at, or ugly? Are they harder to use if you're left-handed? Are there different models of scanners that are used in different regions?

Any information you can share will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Todd

2. serenity now

serenity now Guest

Industrial Spy............?

3. A two year old could have come up with a better design for DIAD V! how much do they pay these. I E guys to be idiots???

4. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

This was the big IE project just before designing the diad 5....naming crayons....lmao
    259519997247107107dSTRWdOyc-1.jpg

5. Thats not a picture of 5 monkeys in a jerk circle!

6. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

I don't have pics of them peeling bananas on their lunch hour....lol

7. edd_tv

edd_tv Cardboard picker upper

Think ofthemost logical layout that would help us daily, then do the exact opposite.

8. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

I don't know??

9. What would make the diad easier to use? the poor placement of buttons............mainly the signature button........you know the one that was in a bad place in diad 4....................oh wait it didnt work in diad 4. ....lets put it in the same place in Diad V!I..wtf

10. BrownTurtle

BrownTurtle New Member

Need a button to push on the diad to start our trucks instead of having the stupid push button remote hanging from our pants.

11. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

Does anyone else always deliver to room 3???

12. Atleast 10 times a day....lol

13. BrownSmoke

BrownSmoke New Member

QWERTY keyboard would be huge.

14. tre305

tre305 Member

Lol we JUST got new GSS scanners that can now scan the bullseye as Well as the barcode.

15. TheDick

TheDick Member

RF scanning and voice controlled diads, and most important more flexibility for driver to customize button placement, like where the sig buttons go.

16. jaker

jaker trolling

They should have got the 2 year olds for designing Orion

17. ocnewguy

ocnewguy Member

like thispredator-laser-sight.jpg
    predator-laser-sight.jpg

18. serenity now

serenity now Guest

.... so I'm like, that's some funny :censored2: right there

19. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

1-Big print mode! Give the option regular or larger.

2- Big arrow down. In Diad 4, one could scan, then double down on big arrow to go right into driver release screen. Can't do that on the 5.

​3- Improve the strap. They are not holding up.

20. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Uses DNA to sign you in.