Hows the "teamsters for obama thing looking now?"

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Although I think Atomic_Smurf has been completely off-base on most of what he's said, there's a tiny kernel of truth here. I'm a steward in a RTW state and it's sometimes difficult to sign up guys to pay dues that are making $8.50/hr. Unrelated but still relevant: the low PT starting wage also doesn't help with attendance, which is 90% of the disciplinary stuff our stewards handle. When you're being screamed at to work harder in a trailer in the middle of a sweltering summer, that $8.50/hr wage is a spit in the eye compared to the mileage you're putting on your back. A higher starting wage will make the UPS PT package handler position less of a "throw away job" and help us keep the younger members we do manage to sign up.

When RTW passed in Michigan, it sent a shot across the bow of union leadership across the country. While I'm certain our negotiators would always prefer to "do the right thing", that sentiment isn't how **** gets done. Quite frankly, the old adage of "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" rings true here. And that wheel is the impending wave of RTW legislation being considered in GOP-held state legislatures with majorities built upon grossly gerrymandered districts.

$8.50/hr for a union shop is disgraceful, whether you agree with me or not; in order to keep growing (within UPS, at least) we have to recognize the reality of RTW and "deliver the goods" for UPS new hires in order to show them what their dues get them.

And if our part time force wasn't union, you're saying UPS--out of the goodness of their heart--would crank up the pay for PT's? Is that what you are saying?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
He's never addressed this issue as strongly as he has in this contract. I don't know why it's so hard for you to accept. Don't you want people to make better money?

You've declared that he's pushing higher starting compensation at the expense of concessions among incumbent employees. Do you have any facts to back that up?

No? Didn't think so. :)

I can play the same game too. hall is proposing that each Teamster will give 2c per hour to the Teamsters Love Scott Davis compensation fund, which will provide an annual bonus for Scott Davis.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
And if our part time force wasn't union, you're saying UPS--out of the goodness of their heart--would crank up the pay for PT's? Is that what you are saying?

Absolutely not and I can't figure out how you'd gather that from my post. UPS, post-IPO, is more than happy to have a high turnover ratio - that's one of the reasons they offer tuition reimbursement to hourlies. It's a tax write-off and also encourages people to apply that have a good chance of leaving after 3-5 years.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Absolutely not and I can't figure out how you'd gather that from my post. UPS, post-IPO, is more than happy to have a high turnover ratio - that's one of the reasons they offer tuition reimbursement to hourlies. It's a tax write-off and also encourages people to apply that have a good chance of leaving after 3-5 years.

Don't disagree with you, but will point out that tuition reimbursement is offered only to a small percentage of PTers -- and often only eligible for redemption at specific colleges.

mamirk69

At one point it cost UPS $1500 a new hire. UPS had an initiative to reduce turn overs because of the cost and as one person mentioned tuition reimbursement only applies to a small percentage. All costs are considered write offs for companies.