HR 915

bbsam

Staff member
More people will be willing to step up when they know that they actually have a shot at it. We aren't as stupid as you think we are bbsam and your continuous attempt at scare tactics continue to amuse. The path will be cleaner if the rules are changed. If the rule is changed there will be numbers and people won't have to feel like they're standing alone anymore.
I don't think you're stupid at all. I simply think you are overstating people's willingness to put their jobs on the line regardless of any regulation. I have already agreed that Fedex probably is intimidating and uses illegal practices. But those won't disappear under the RLA. And quite frankly any unionizing attempt will only be good for business at Ground so please don't take my observations as scare tactics. I have no interest in scaring you or anyone away from such an act. If anything, I'm trying to goad you into doing what you already want to do in the first place.

FedEx courier

Do you mean those won't disappear under the NLRA. FedEx Express is currently classified under the RLA. Whether this will be good for the Ground model seems to be just speculation. What if FedEx had to combine Ground and Express as a result. You have already implied yourself that commit times at Ground are a joke.

vantexan

Do you mean those won't disappear under the NLRA. FedEx Express is currently classified under the RLA. Whether this will be good for the Ground model seems to be just speculation. What if FedEx had to combine Ground and Express as a result. You have already implied yourself that commit times at Ground are a joke.

I doubt you'll see Express and Ground combine unless forced to by court decisions. Most likely Express will be reduced to an overnight service only with workforce trimmed to minimize union's impact on profits. But Express might become one of the best part-time jobs in the country! If high union pay does come in and we are forced into part-time status, I'll take it. After all these years of humping I wouldn't mind making $45k on 30 hrs. Can wave at all the hard working Ground guys!

SmithBarney

I doubt you'll see Express and Ground combine unless forced to by court decisions. Most likely Express will be reduced to an overnight service only with workforce trimmed to minimize union's impact on profits. But Express might become one of the best part-time jobs in the country! If high union pay does come in and we are forced into part-time status, I'll take it. After all these years of humping I wouldn't mind making $45k on 30 hrs. Can wave at all the hard working Ground guys!

PT'rs are mostly restricted to 17.5-20 hrs around here...

vantexan

PT'rs are mostly restricted to 17.5-20 hrs around here...

But the rule is 30 hrs max, guaranteed 17.5. Or they could do like Walmart and say fulltime is 32 hrs. That might be the case since we are classified as permanent fulltime. Just saying that there are a number of possible scenarios, and FedEx most likely will go with whatever maximizes profit but has minimal impact on customers.

bbsam

Staff member
And I have also said that if Fred would like to move some of that Express business and revenue by ground where I get a sizable piece of that revenue, the only joke as far as commit times goes will be me laughing all the way to the bank. It is not that we can't structure things to make certain commit times. It is that it has to be financially lucrative for me to do it. Like the 6pm pickup every night. Wouldn't want it except that they ship out well over 100 pkgs per day. Financially lucrative and thus doable.

FedEx courier

And I have also said that if Fred would like to move some of that Express business and revenue by ground where I get a sizable piece of that revenue, the only joke as far as commit times goes will be me laughing all the way to the bank. It is not that we can't structure things to make certain commit times. It is that it has to be financially lucrative for me to do it. Like the 6pm pickup every night. Wouldn't want it except that they ship out well over 100 pkgs per day. Financially lucrative and thus doable.
It will be interesting to watch what happens because I hear of complaints about Ground service daily. Just curious, does Ground have any customer service guidelines that they have to follow.