hr clerical error denied me a promotion. how should i handle this?

preloader9144

So i was called to be a full time driver, however when they ran my background check it came back with false information causing me to be ineligible. I appealed it showed them my court documents proving i was eligible and it got reversed. However this process took a month and by the time everything was good they had filled all the driver positions and are now telling me they have no options for me. Does anyone know how i should handle this??

barnyard

KTM rider
Guy in my building had his license revoked for an unpaid parking ticket. He lost his driving slot as a result. By the time he got it reversed, the next in line was already 3 weeks on the job. He was told to wait for the next slot. Took another year before he could go FT.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So i was called to be a full time driver, however when they ran my background check it came back with false information causing me to be ineligible. I appealed it showed them my court documents proving i was eligible and it got reversed. However this process took a month and by the time everything was good they had filled all the driver positions and are now telling me they have no options for me. Does anyone know how i should handle this??

Here's what you could do.

Grieve it. Company error.

UPS could be forced to train you and then have your seniority date reverted back to the date it should have been.

Here is what UPS will do. Abide by the grievance settlement, train you, but then disqualify you before you get your 30 days.

You then could have to wait a year to try again.

Your call.

By The Book

I don't think UPS is going to purposely disqualify someone for an error that was corrected. It would be of no benefit to them to hold a grudge over this member. They could train this driver with a little influence from the local and do the right thing. If talking doesn't move UPS to do the right thing, then a grievance is necessary. Is UPS in a tough spot?, yes, and so is the employee who's seniority is being denied.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I don't think it's an error on ups. It was probably the third party background service they used. I think they acted in good faith. You really expect them to wait a month?

UPS could be forced to train you and then have your seniority date reverted back to the date it should have been.

Here is what UPS will do. Abide by the grievance settlement, train you, but then disqualify you before you get your 30 days.

Your call.
If ups disqualifies you in the central region and there's another bid in three months you don't have to wait another year FYI.

I don't think it's an error on ups. It was probably the third party background service they used. I think they acted in good faith. You really expect them to wait a month?
If I was the member I would grieve the back seniority after qualifying. We had a case like this and that's how it played out.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Your call.

There is no doubt, the company can be vindictive.

I don't think UPS is going to purposely disqualify someone for an error that was corrected. It would be of no benefit to them to hold a grudge over this member. They could train this driver with a little influence from the local and do the right thing. If talking doesn't move UPS to do the right thing, then a grievance is necessary. Is UPS in a tough spot?, yes, and so is the employee who's seniority is being denied.

It sounds like an error on the courts behalf. (Or the reporting agency)

Corrected.... But, a missed opportunity.

If I was the member I would grieve the back seniority after qualifying. We had a case like this and that's how it played out.

Honest mistakes happen.

How you resolve them, shows the character of the parties.

If the facts are correct.... a backdated seniority date, would be appropriate.

-Bug-

barnyard

KTM rider
The guy in my building has told others, "If you are close to signing a bid, go to the DMV and pull your own driving record. Correct any errors before it gets to bid signing time."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The guy in my building has told others, "If you are close to signing a bid, go to the DMV and pull your own driving record. Correct any errors before it gets to bid signing time."

Most states allow you to download your abstract----in NY they charge $7 and is the very same abstract that the company will get.

To the OP----I believe that this was an honest mistake on the company's part and rather than put pen to paper I think you should sit down with them and try to work out an equitable solution. You should not be penalized nor should the company be blamed for an error beyond their control.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
File a grievance.
Bid on the next driver position.
How was this an HR Clerical error? Please explain.

Inthegame

If this error was from UPS or a third party records agency UPS hired, I'd be grieving and asking to be made whole including any lost earnings/benefit opportunities along with back dated seniority.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Not in my local but in my local the guy who actually writes the language is the principal officer. So I guess that's why ups actually follows the contract. Another reason I love being in the local I'm in. Great dudes.

If ups disqualifies you in the central region and there's another bid in three months you don't have to wait another year FYI.

Local language, not Central Region Supplement language. One year in the Central Region Supplement.

Good for your local for having better language than the Supplement.

To UPS, this would be too much work. They will then have to hear grievances from the other drivers that qualified and had this guy move ahead of them. I know it should be this way, but to UPS, the easiest way is the easiest.

UPS has another easy way to deal with this. OP files grievance, walks into the hearing, UPS claims point of order, untimely grievance.

The OP was denied driver training. He has 5 days per the contract to grieve it. More than a month and it still is not grieved.

This is why every building needs a good Steward. This should have already been grieved.

What were the facts? Say 3 other drivers already qualified. John Doe starts 6 months later, but should have started before the other 3. His seniority date is the first day he started driving, or the first day of school, whichever. Not the date he won the bid for driver training. How can he grieve his seniority date to be 6 months earlier.

I think he got lucky on this and the parties involved did the right thing and it will probably never happen again.

Honest mistakes happen.

How you resolve them, shows the character of the parties.

If the facts are correct.... a backdated seniority date, would be appropriate.

True. But UPS has no character.

Although it sounds like they did this at least once per Lead Belly.

I am in central too. DQ means waiting a year.

Correct.

he guy in my building has told others, "If you are close to signing a bid, go to the DMV and pull your own driving record. Correct any errors before it gets to bid signing time."

Great advice.

Local language, not Central Region Supplement language. One year in the Central Region Supplement.

Good for your local for having better language than the Supplement.

To UPS, this would be too much work. They will then have to hear grievances from the other drivers that qualified and had this guy move ahead of them. I know it should be this way, but to UPS, the easiest way is the easiest.

UPS has another easy way to deal with this. OP files grievance, walks into the hearing, UPS claims point of order, untimely grievance.

The OP was denied driver training. He has 5 days per the contract to grieve it. More than a month and it still is not grieved.

This is why every building needs a good Steward. This should have already been grieved.

What were the facts? Say 3 other drivers already qualified. John Doe starts 6 months later, but should have started before the other 3. His seniority date is the first day he started driving, or the first day of school, whichever. Not the date he won the bid for driver training. How can he grieve his seniority date to be 6 months earlier.

I think he got lucky on this and the parties involved did the right thing and it will probably never happen again.

True. But UPS has no character.

Although it sounds like they did this at least once per Lead Belly.

Correct.

Great advice.
Actually the language is intended for if you disqualified yourself you wait a year. If the company disqualifies you then you don't have to wait a year. This is how it is. If you are disqualified twice by the company then you wait three years. That's the intention and interpretation of the language. It's in stone.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Actually the language is intended for if you disqualified yourself you wait a year. If the company disqualifies you then you don't have to wait a year. This is how it is. If you are disqualified twice by the company then you wait three years. That's the intention and interpretation of the language. It's in stone.

That is what the language says, and you may be correct about the company disqualifying someone on their first attempt. It does not say 1 year. Only the second attempt.

I have never come across this issue. A couple over the years were disqualified for an accident, but every other driver qualified.