HR lying

Anvilandforge

I'm sure this is no surprise, but HR has been lying to all the preloaders telling us we are permanent. I am a previous employee from 2007, and was told they didn't start doing this until recently.

I straight up asked the preload supervisor what the deal was and her response was "unfortunately the new hires are told their permanent when that's not the case. We probably hired about 40 people and plan to keep about 10."

I don't understand how a company can be so unprofessional? Mostly everyone I've talked to has been there since October or November, and one even started yesterday...

They tell driver helpers they are seasonal...Almost every company has no problem telling seasonal employees that their position is temporary...Why does UPS lie to these employees? Do they eventually get called back or are they pretty much done after December? Why can't they just be honest up front so people don't leave their jobs because they have been told they've been given a great opportunity? I don't see the benefit in this?

oldngray

nowhere special
trap.gif

I'm curious, when you applied online for the position did you complete a form that advised you that you were applying for a seasonal position? That's usually standard. If so it would not matter what HR stated that seasonal "contract" stands until you are offered a permanent position. No offer can be officially made until after the seasonal contract has expired. That's been my understanding.

Anvilandforge

I'm curious, when you applied online for the position did you complete a form that advised you that you were applying for a seasonal position? That's usually standard. If so it would not matter what HR stated that seasonal "contract" stands until you are offered a permanent position. No offer can be officially made until after the seasonal contract has expired. That's been my understanding.

Nobody I've talked to at my hub has been told they were seasonal. The smart ones have caught on, and a few have walked out. Probably why they are still bringing people on.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Nope. They filled out union papers and everything. They were all told they were permanent. They're just going to lay them off indefinitely is what I'm told by everyone.
Well they can lay them off that's always a risk. What they can't do is hire any new people or lay off higher seniority people if lower seniority ones are working.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Hired before Oct 1 , you stay .
Hired after Oct 1 , only the strong will survive .
Until they too wash out , then maybe they'll call back a few to be replacements . That is if they already haven't hired someone .

It's not something new , UPS has been doing this for decades .

Anvilandforge

Well they can lay them off that's always a risk. What they can't do is hire any new people or lay off higher seniority people if lower seniority ones are working.

I see. I'm curious how long they will lay someone off? They've been taking drivers in about 2 years here, where as before it would be about 7. Although 30 people waiting for a call not including bumps from higher seniority employees, may take awhile.

If you applied online, log on to review your application and see if you checked off the seasonal agreement. It is also important to understand if you were hired in a permanent position you have to complete a probation period which I believe is 30 days. With that said, UPS is different in the sense that NOV-DEC is considered the black out period. Meaning time serviced doesn't count towards anything. Meaning your probation period doesn't start until January.

jbg77

If they told the truth you wouldn't have enough people to staff for peak. The truth is some who work hard may stay but at some point you just need warm bodies to fill the void.