HR lying

Anvilandforge

If that were so...how did you end up in small sort within a few weeks of being hired? Seasonals are sent to small sort when they can't hack it anywhere else. I loaded package cars for years....I earned my pay rate and benefits from hard work and sweat and have no problem getting paid to take it easy in small sort now. You are entitled to nothing.
Because they threw the 18 year olds in there. The employee with years of seniority didn't want to do small sort, and I replaced him.

fres431

Nope. They filled out union papers and everything. They were all told they were permanent. They're just going to lay them off indefinitely is what I'm told by everyone.
Then you ba needs to fight for them in my local we have no seasonal inside hub workers only seasonal position we have is driver helpers and contractual feeders assuming we use all of our feeder drivers hours

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not dishonest they hired you as a permanent employee. However UPS is a union shop and you have to make seniority in order to become permanent employee. If you read the contract you would know that you can't make seniority at this time of the year until after Jan 15th. It's not HR responsibility to inform of the details of the contract it is your responsibility to know the contract for witch you work under.

How many seasonal employees are either given, have access to or would even know where to begin to look online for our contract?

:censored2: you. You don't know me. I've done almost every single part time job available in that building, and I've done it well and with ease. Don't tell me what I'm entitled to or not. I'm not actually complaining about my job, I'm complaining about a dishonest tactic used by an apparently desperate HR team. I wouldn't be complaining if I had the pay rate and benefits half the people on this forum don't seem to appreciate.
The point is you'll in congrats because many seasonal applicants didn't even get a call
back. Everyone's job is important, so just focus on that. Know that like every job especially at UPS you have to make it work for you I do. I have a full time career outside of UPS and with said career I am compensated very well with full benefits etc. But I work at UPS part time because it's only 3.5 hours a day and I am in a position where I can save my week checks minus the 25% percent I put in the deferred comp. So make UPS work for you not the other way around.

Not dishonest they hired you as a permanent employee. However UPS is a union shop and you have to make seniority in order to become permanent employee. If you read the contract you would know that you can't make seniority at this time of the year until after Jan 15th. It's not HR responsibility to inform of the details of the contract it is your responsibility to know the contract for witch you work under.
Agreed completely, you have to know where you are working. During ones homework prior to accepting a job/position is paramount.

Anvilandforge

The point is you'll in congrats because many seasonal applicants didn't even get a call
back. Everyone's job is important, so just focus on that. Know that like every job especially at UPS you have to make it work for you I do. I have a full time career outside of UPS and with said career I am compensated very well with full benefits etc. But I work at UPS part time because it's only 3.5 hours a day and I am in a position where I can save my week checks minus the 25% percent I put in the deferred comp. So make UPS work for you not the other way around.
Thanks. I do want to be here, for one reason or another. If I were given any opportunity I wouldn't hesitate to accept. For now, its having a part time job until I become a lineman.

How many seasonal employees are either given, have access to or would even know where to begin to look online for our contract?
I don't know you have to know about the contract to asked questions such as what is the probation period/process. If this is someone's first job I can understand not knowing how to vet a job.

Anvilandforge

Ignorance is not an excuse once you become an adult. You learn how to ask questions or you get left behind...
Withholding information is the equivalent of lying. When I asked the question whether or not I was permanent, the answer should have entailed the honest truth? I don't know...It's not difficult to answer. Even "maybe" would have sufficed...According to many people on here, I'm not missing much..Not really even sure why I care so much..Maybe its the fact that I was lied to? I'll be making double what drivers make when I become a lineman. Oh well, guess I'll just work my temporary ass of until the bitter end.

Octave

I was layed off because of this last year, and I was not seasonal. The reasoning is the "last hired, first fired" bit about seniority with the union. At least that's how I understand it.

It really sucks, though. They gave me the work around and didn't tell me how to find the union steward (employees didn't help either) even though I paid my dues. I'm back now, but I wish they would make it clear.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I was layed off because of this last year, and I was not seasonal. The reasoning is the "last hired, first fired" bit about seniority with the union. At least that's how I understand it.

It really sucks, though. They gave me the work around and didn't tell me how to find the union steward (employees didn't help either) even though I paid my dues. I'm back now, but I wish they would make it clear.
Did You make book before the layoff?

Octave

If you applied online, log on to review your application and see if you checked off the seasonal agreement. It is also important to understand if you were hired in a permanent position you have to complete a probation period which I believe is 30 days. With that said, UPS is different in the sense that NOV-DEC is considered the black out period. Meaning time serviced doesn't count towards anything. Meaning your probation period doesn't start until January.
Oh yeah, that's what happened to me. I needed 30 working days BEFORE December, at least that's what management told me. I had 27.

Made decent money and now I'm back making money, so I guess it worked out in the end, but still it felt really dishonest.

Box Ox

66101999.jpg