HR lying

DOK

I'm sure this is no surprise, but HR has been lying to all the preloaders telling us we are permanent. I am a previous employee from 2007, and was told they didn't start doing this until recently.

I straight up asked the preload supervisor what the deal was and her response was "unfortunately the new hires are told their permanent when that's not the case. We probably hired about 40 people and plan to keep about 10."

I don't understand how a company can be so unprofessional? Mostly everyone I've talked to has been there since October or November, and one even started yesterday...

They tell driver helpers they are seasonal...Almost every company has no problem telling seasonal employees that their position is temporary...Why does UPS lie to these employees? Do they eventually get called back or are they pretty much done after December? Why can't they just be honest up front so people don't leave their jobs because they have been told they've been given a great opportunity? I don't see the benefit in this?

If it's preload, they'll need you soon if you are even laid off. Turn over is high in preload in most buildings.

Anvilandforge

Our probation is 70 days, so there's no way I'm making it, unless more people walk out or just suck that bad. If they call me back in 2016, hopefully I'll be in the position to accept another job.

PT Car Washer

Our probation is 70 days, so there's no way I'm making it, unless more people walk out or just suck that bad. If they call me back in 2016, hopefully I'll be in the position to accept another job.
For every 100 people UPS hires PT 95 quit in the first month. And those are the smart ones. Hang in there if you really want the job.

Octave

I've never seen a turnover numbers that high. But 70 out of 100 isn't that far out of the norm.
As the CHSP member for my work area I mentor new employees. Since I've been doing this for the past 5 months, I've had 1 out of 10 stay. Some of whom I was never even able to meet with before they quit. I think this is mainly due to the supervisors in my area, who, while nice people, kind of push people way too hard. Plus it's hard work. Still though, I was surprised by the turnover. Granted, my experience here is likely a little skewed as most of these people quit during the hot summer months, and the last couple just stopped showing up during peak.

So I think that 70% is probably pretty accurate.

El Correcto

god is dead
Honest answer to you, seasonal is like getting your foot in the door. You have a chance to learn about the job and gain in company references. Very few seasonals ever get kept, unless your building had staffing problems to begin with. You could easily fill out an application for part time work, with the references you gained and the previous experience. The guys who "wised up" and abandoned their job are not rehirable because they worked at UPS for less than a year. Pretty much you signed a seasonal application for seasonal work and have to go through the process again to get hired on as part time.

Anvilandforge

Honest answer to you, seasonal is like getting your foot in the door. You have a chance to learn about the job and gain in company references. Very few seasonals ever get kept, unless your building had staffing problems to begin with. You could easily fill out an application for part time work, with the references you gained and the previous experience. The guys who "wised up" and abandoned their job are not rehirable because they worked at UPS for less than a year. Pretty much you signed a seasonal application for seasonal work and have to go through the process again to get hired on as part time.

Management fudge on the truth?...Nah!

Sounds like a great company.

I'm sure this is no surprise, but HR has been lying to all the preloaders telling us we are permanent. I am a previous employee from 2007, and was told they didn't start doing this until recently.

I straight up asked the preload supervisor what the deal was and her response was "unfortunately the new hires are told their permanent when that's not the case. We probably hired about 40 people and plan to keep about 10."

I don't understand how a company can be so unprofessional? Mostly everyone I've talked to has been there since October or November, and one even started yesterday...

They tell driver helpers they are seasonal...Almost every company has no problem telling seasonal employees that their position is temporary...Why does UPS lie to these employees? Do they eventually get called back or are they pretty much done after December? Why can't they just be honest up front so people don't leave their jobs because they have been told they've been given a great opportunity? I don't see the benefit in this?
You are better off working for someone else anyway. Consider it a gift.

10 point

As the CHSP member for my work area I mentor new employees. Since I've been doing this for the past 5 months, I've had 1 out of 10 stay. Some of whom I was never even able to meet with before they quit. I think this is mainly due to the supervisors in my area, who, while nice people, kind of push people way too hard. Plus it's hard work. Still though, I was surprised by the turnover. Granted, my experience here is likely a little skewed as most of these people quit during the hot summer months, and the last couple just stopped showing up during peak.

So I think that 70% is probably pretty accurate.
Looks like your "1 in 10" is 90% not 70%?

10 point

But as I said, I only experienced the last part of the year. And my experience is hardly indicative of the entire UPS system.
It seems like a high percentage (70%+).

Ours, I was told hovered around 47-50% this year.

Prob bigger cities had a higher % because there were more jobs available.

I bet LouKy employees get free pizza every night.