Hub load map?

BrownEvo

Does anyone know if there is an hub map that tells you where the hub/center brings loads on a daily basis to what other hub/centers?

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Does anyone know if there is an hub map that tells you where the hub/center brings loads on a daily basis to what other hub/centers?

That information exists in your IE and Feeder Scheduling departments. It is generally is some other format than a map, like computer listings, but it is obviously critical information for running the operation.

Why do you want to know? (I am not being snarky...if there is something you are trying to figure out, a map may not be the best means of communicating the information you need.)

Centers generally get loads from 2-5 hubs, depending on where the center is located and how big the center is.

Hubs can be small service hubs, with not many feeds, to monsters like CACH that can get loads from both coasts.

upser_J

i wouldnt go around asking management or IE this question in person, mainly cuz its prolly considered sensitive information

BrownEvo

Just a former PTer curious where my local center brings their load to cause I think they only go to one hub. Anybody know what's the biggest hub in NY State?

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Is the Masbeth hub bigger than Syracuse?

Never been to Syracuse, but at one time, Masbeth was like the 2nd largest hub in the country. There are bigger ones now, but I don't think it was surpassed anywhere in NY State. What's the PPH rating for Syracuse?

Any Long Island UPSers on here somewhere?

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
I work out of Plattsburgh so have no clue about the PPH but Syracuse is our district HQ.

Which doesn't mean anything WRT the size of the Hub. Buffalo may be larger. In Wisconsin, the district HQ is at the Elm Grove Hub (suburb of Milwaukee) but the Oak Creek Hub (another suburb of Milwaukee) is larger in terms of PPH capacity.

bluehdmc

Syracuse is pretty big, was up there last Friday, seemed busy. Albany seems a little smaller, never been to Buffalo. A lot of work moved out of Maspeth (also known as Island City) to Saddle Brook when they started the night sort there, so I wouldn't say Maspeth is in the running anymore. It doesn't really seem that busy when I've been there. A way to tell is by the # of doors, was told by a supervisor a formula of some sort #or doors = # packages per sort.

BrownEvo

All I know is Maspeth used to get alot of loads going to them. Parsippany during day sort would send 3 53's stuffed their way. I had a fun time loading them use to take me the whole sort to fill em up

tworavens

JuniorMember for 24 Years
Just a former PTer curious where my local center brings their load to cause I think they only go to one hub. Anybody know what's the biggest hub in NY State?

Write down a few tracking numbers from several random packages, wait a few days, then track them. Will show you the various locations the package passes through.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Syracuse is pretty big, was up there last Friday, seemed busy. Albany seems a little smaller, never been to Buffalo. A lot of work moved out of Maspeth (also known as Island City) to Saddle Brook when they started the night sort there, so I wouldn't say Maspeth is in the running anymore. It doesn't really seem that busy when I've been there. A way to tell is by the # of doors, was told by a supervisor a formula of some sort #or doors = # packages per sort.

That's basically true: 1 feeder door being worked is approximately equal to 1,000 PPH as a rule of thumb.
So for a pure feeder door sort, if you have 30 doors being worked, that's 30,000 PPH. Because of shifting needs, you would probably need 35 actual doors to keep that up for a sort.

During the twilight, you would also have the package cars being unloaded. I could be mistaken, but Louisville Worldport is the only hub in the system that has no package car drivers assigned to it. The package center moved off airport property last year to a site about a mile south.

The actual capacity of a building is more complicated, since any flow system has a bottleneck that throttles the actual flow capability. The calculation of this bottleneck is highly dependent on exactly what is going on at any one moment, and is why flow balancing from the unload is critical to a smoothly operating hub.

Aren't you glad you asked? :happy2:

If you want to know what's coming into your building's preload, chat with a preload sup that is responsible for printing out the daily inbound forecast (from TFCS I think?). There should be someone on each sort responsible for doing this. Same for outbounds, usually someone on the reload (or whatever sort) is responsible for keying all the outbound loads (into TFCS or HFCS?). It's not top secret information.