Hubs Need To Implement Bomb/Explosion Response Teams Until EMTs Arrive

A

anonymous6

with 12 million packages going thru our hubs everyday the threat of a bomb and or explosion is very real. it would take EMTs 10-15 minutes or longer for them to respond. by then a person could bleed out.

the first one or two minutes are critical. I learned emergency first aid in the scouts and would have a reasonably good chance of helping someone. but how many people do ? we should consider training managers in emergency first aid to respond until the pros arrive.

maybe hubs could pass out American Red Cross booklets on emergency first aid or have fire depts. come to hubs and perform demonstrations. it's best to be proactive in this area.

thoughts?

over9five

Staff member
Agreed mostly. I was an EMT back in the day, and it has always amazed me that UPS never even sponsored a CPR class.

​I think they should sponsor a full First Responder course to anyone (not just management) who is interested.

Agreed mostly. I was an EMT back in the day, and it has always amazed me that UPS never even sponsored a CPR class.

​I think they should sponsor a full First Responder course to anyone (not just management) who is interested.
Why?????They want us old timers to drop dead! That way they can replace us with younger faster and cheaper labor!!!

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
I've wondered about that as well, along with the crush injuries, amputations and avulsions that are possible just by the belts. I still keep my Paramedic certs active for my other part-time job and a real First Responder who actually gives a (expletive deleted) is worth their weight in gold to us.

I do not foresee UPS or FedEx ever doing any training above a management band-aid crew level...which is sad.

over9five

Staff member
I don't want it to be a part timer who wants to move up the list at my expense!!!!:sick:
38863728.jpg

Returntosender

Bomb/Explosion response team. I believe on paper UPS calls it "don't touch, leave area, notify supervisor." The supervisors are the response team.

curiousbrain

From a legal standpoint, I'm not sure UPS would want to be on the hook for having a responder administer CPR or what not in a possibly life threatening situation; I'm not a lawyer by any stretch, but in the event of a serious injury and a lawsuit, I'm sure issues would be raised about the quality of the responder, the kind of training they received, so on and so forth. I'm certainly not advocating that the company should maintain a "Let's all hope **** doesn't happen" (which seems to sort of be there policy now, to some extent), but it wouldn't surprise me if this issue had been considered multiple times, and the possible legal/fiscal risks have prevented the creation of such responders.

I'd also be curious as to how state laws supersede UPS' on company property; that is to say, if the state certifies that a person can administer CPR or similar activity in a life threatening situation, does that mean UPS is not subject to legal proceedings in regards to that training?

A

anonymous6

I've wondered about that as well, along with the crush injuries, amputations and avulsions that are possible just by the belts. I still keep my Paramedic certs active for my other part-time job and a real First Responder who actually gives a (expletive deleted) is worth their weight in gold to us.

I do not foresee UPS or FedEx ever doing any training above a management band-aid crew level...which is sad.

I don't think anything will happen until we have a major tragedy. the boston marathon bombing made me think of this. many of the victims would have died if it wasn't for some trained spectators.

A

anonymous6

From a legal standpoint, I'm not sure UPS would want to be on the hook for having a responder administer CPR or what not in a possibly life threatening situation; I'm not a lawyer by any stretch, but in the event of a serious injury and a lawsuit, I'm sure issues would be raised about the quality of the responder, the kind of training they received, so on and so forth. I'm certainly not advocating that the company should maintain a "Let's all hope **** doesn't happen" (which seems to sort of be there policy now, to some extent), but it wouldn't surprise me if this issue had been considered multiple times, and the possible legal/fiscal risks have prevented the creation of such responders.

I'd also be curious as to how state laws supersede UPS' on company property; that is to say, if the state certifies that a person can administer CPR or similar activity in a life threatening situation, does that mean UPS is not subject to legal proceedings in regards to that training?

that's an interesting perspective an I respect that. i'd hate to be the one telling someone's wife or husband " too bad we couldn't save them, we didn't want to be sued." I'd still try.

Johney

Brownbaggin,
I do believe that in this country there is a law called the "Good Samaritan Law" which I think states that if you try and help someone in an emergency situation you can not be held liable for your actions or something like that. So If you break somebodies ribs giving CPR you can not be held responsible for breaking their ribs. Also there may be something that states if you DON'T help someone.
Goolge here we come.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law

Last edited:

jaker

trolling
^^^ that is true for the most part and people still get sued , good samaritan only works when the two have no ties to a job at the time it happens , but now you put a corporation in that I bet people will sue even more now

Ups would rather take the chance of you dying with no help then dying with help

Nail on the head. UPS will not have an "official" first responder, period. If any of us have first aid then try and help as an individual. Make them official and it'll be blood in the water for a lawyer to take action.

worldwide

with 12 million packages going thru our hubs everyday the threat of a bomb and or explosion is very real. it would take EMTs 10-15 minutes or longer for them to respond. by then a person could bleed out.

the first one or two minutes are critical. I learned emergency first aid in the scouts and would have a reasonably good chance of helping someone. but how many people do ? we should consider training managers in emergency first aid to respond until the pros arrive.

maybe hubs could pass out American Red Cross booklets on emergency first aid or have fire depts. come to hubs and perform demonstrations. it's best to be proactive in this area.

thoughts?

There is nothing preventing ANY UPS employee (or non UPS employee) from taking a Red Cross class and gaining life-saving knowledge.

First Aid, AED & CPR Training Courses | Take a Class | Red Cross

“Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person.”
― Mother Teresa

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Never going to happen. For one, UPS doesn't actually care about safety. It's all lip service and scare tactics. This Keter outfit is just to keep OSHA off their backs. These questions you're supposed to puke the answers to on demand? Very few are actually applicable in the real world.

For another, the time of day when the most people are in the building is preload and twilight - and the turnover is horrible. CPR & First Aid can run up to $200 per class. Would UPS spend that money on someone who is bound to quit within the calendar year? Nope. They don't like spending money to properly service their customers and they're going to plop down a few thousand per month on training for something that MIGHT happen? Remember, UPS is reactive, not pro-active.