Humbled today

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
So today I stopped at a store that gets big bulky boxes daily and CODs about twice a week. I scanned up the packages, entered the COD information and put my diad on the signature screen and sent my helper inside to obtain a signature and a check and continued sorting my truck (yes I'm aware helpers aren't supposed to do CODs).

After like 8 minutes my helper comes back out and says that they're taking forever and back-burnering him with the COD. This store regularly takes their sweet time with CODs and makes me wait. I marched into the store and called out the lady's name and said I need the check or I have to take the packages. She said "You can't rush me. I'm looking it over." I peered around the corner into the back office and saw the check was made out but she was reviewing the invoices she had cut off the boxes line by line. I responded curtly,"I have to rush you because it's been over 10 minutes and we're only allowed to be here for a couple minutes. It's Christmas."

Without expression or a word she quietly walked over to me and handed me the cod check and a red Hallmark envelope. Talk about instantly humbled. I felt like such a dick. I tried to hand the envelope back to her but she said no. I apologized profusely and explained how much work we had to get done, then gave her a hug. She said she understood and it was okay, but I felt like crap the rest of the day--still do.

So today I stopped at a store that gets big bulky boxes daily and CODs about twice a week. I scanned up the packages, entered the COD information and put my diad on the signature screen and sent my helper inside to obtain a signature and a check and continued sorting my truck (yes I'm aware helpers aren't supposed to do CODs).

After like 8 minutes my helper comes back out and says that they're taking forever and back-burnering him with the COD. This store regularly takes their sweet time with CODs and makes me wait. I marched into the store and called out the lady's name and said I need the check or I have to take the packages. She said "You can't rush me. I'm looking it over." I peered around the corner into the back office and saw the check was made out but she was reviewing the invoices she had cut off the boxes line by line. I responded curtly,"I have to rush you because it's been over 10 minutes and we're only allowed to be here for a couple minutes. It's Christmas."

Without expression or a word she quietly walked over to me and handed me the cod check and a red Hallmark envelope. Talk about instantly humbled. I felt like such a dick. I tried to hand the envelope back to her but she said no. I apologized profusely and explained how much work we had to get done, then gave her a hug. She said she understood and it was okay, but I felt like crap the rest of the day--still do.
Dick!..Lmao.

We all lose it sometimes.lol

clean hairy

I am confident that will show up on some report somewhere, and your center manager will give you a good butt chewing for spending so much time at one stop.
Especially if you ran over that day, and even if you ran under, still a butt chewing.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Honestly..who even gets cod packages anymore...except for customers who don't pay their bills
Certain types of stores like bridal shops and others. I have three businesses and two residences that get CODs often. I may go one day a week without having a COD at one of them.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
COD's probably get the best of all of us from time to time. Some customers it's smooth, others make you dread them like your in-laws. Wish UPS would just do away with them altogether.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I am confident that will show up on some report somewhere, and your center manager will give you a good butt chewing for spending so much time at one stop.
Especially if you ran over that day, and even if you ran under, still a butt chewing.
When we are out there delivering at a customers business we are in their world...Some stops take longer and the allowances aren't realistic. ..If you are a driver and get pushy with a customer I can almost guarantee that they will make you wait longer....let mgt question you then they can call the customer and tell em to hurry up..which we all know won't happen

Packmule

If she "understands " why does she keep "dicking " you around. I'm guessing she just likes to play these games. Take the tip lightly. It's more of a manipulation than appreciation.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If she "understands " why does she keep "dicking " you around. I'm guessing she just likes to play these games. Take the tip lightly. It's more of a manipulation than appreciation.
What's the "allowance" for a cod delivery....it's not enough in most cases and usually the check isn't ready when a driver gets there..then if the amount on the pkg doesn't match what was told to the customer originally then that's a whole other problem. ..I don't worry about it..I don't care

UPSGUY72

You would be surprised. Some business get COD because they don't want to use credit cards. I have some places I go into and they have the check already. Other places don't and I have to wait. It is what it is I wither way I'm getting paid. The best part is that they can't do anything to you about performance issues except give you a hard time.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Early on I would get worked up about customers who "took too long" on CODs but after a few years I quit letting it bother me, I would just pull up a chair and BS with them til they were finished doing whatever.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I got a nice TIG BITTY hug(lol) and a peck on the cheek from this chick, I always sweat her MELONS, at this business on my route today. My jumper looked at me and I looked at him and said WORD, he was crackin da freak up and the people at the place were laughing too. Pretty classic dude really. All bout playing Hollywood fellas lmfao.

clean hairy

Honestly..who even gets cod packages anymore...except for customers who don't pay their bills
I could see where the person buying doesn't want the seller to get their $$ and wait forever for the seller to ship out the order.
It would suck to pay, and be told "your items are on back order, it might be a few weeks before we we get the merchandise and can ship it to you" Some small businesses cant afford to have $$ tied up.
With COD, if they dont have it, no order, and no $$ tied up.
With COD, it gives the seller incentive to ship out the order quickly.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Just doing your job. I would not have batted an eye.

Just pissed off hospital receiving 2 days ago because I told them it's their job to stack their stuff on pallets. Not mine.