Hurricane Faye is on the way!

Will UPS close centers for Hurricane Faye?

• Yes, employee safety comes first!

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Possibly-each center will have a safety decision on a case by case basis

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • Let the drivers go and handle it! We are professionals!

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • What Hurricane?

Votes: 13 22.8%

• Total voters

wornoutupser

Faye will be at least a Cat 1 when it arrives.

That being said, my point is this: EMS stops all functions for fire,police and ambulance when the wind hits 40 mph in my county. They were not avalable during Charlie and UPS was still on the road.
If it was not safe for a fully loaded fire truck to be on the road, why were we? A package car turns into a sailboat. I found out the hard way in a P 10. I had a wind gust hit me that pulled me from the slow lane (doing 40 on a 4 lane highway) into the median in one blast. My concern is for safety!

pkgdriver

The governer of FLorida has issued a state of emergency for at least a portion of Florida.

When this goes into effect, all non-emergency vehicles will not be permitted on the road.

Enjoy your mini vactaion and stay safe out there! (tropical storm, hurricane, whatever she eventually may be )

If you want to know what this state of emergency REALLY means give this a look.
http://www.floridadisaster.org/eoc/PressReleases2008/EO08-170.pdf

A lot of legalese pertaining to funds,price gouging,ability to suspend road/bridge tolls etc.

wornout-Our center was called back in about the right time for Charley. A hour or two earlier would have been better though.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
What is your problem (other than your inability to spell, write, and form complete sentences)? It is a good thing for you that breathing is an involuntary function.

And that doesn't seem to work too well either. Low oxygen to the brain will cause a person to not think straight!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Possibly-each center will have a safety decision on a case by case basis

I would love another cane to come. People always see it as a negative thing, when in fact canes clean up the area moreso then destroy it.

The air becomes cleaner and destroy the weak trees before they fall for no reason due to old age. Falling trees seem to get bad press only when a cane pushes them over and onto a house. But people see it normal and natural when they fall over to old age or disease.

Hurricane Katrina was predicted to hit Florida, and it had almost the same projected path as this cane does. At the last minute a cold front came down and blocked it and sent it north west, towards you know where.

I'm sick of people blaming one person (Bush) instead of blaming the real people who decide what individuals do with the land. The whole reason the levy broke in New Orleans is because some leftist environmentalists thought building one instead of a respectable two for safety to keep the land more pure.

I'm sick of these types of people having everything to do with the land that you own.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

That being said, my point is this: EMS stops all functions for fire,police and ambulance when the wind hits 40 mph in my county. They were not avalable during Charlie and UPS was still on the road.
If it was not safe for a fully loaded fire truck to be on the road, why were we? A package car turns into a sailboat. I found out the hard way in a P 10. I had a wind gust hit me that pulled me from the slow lane (doing 40 on a 4 lane highway) into the median in one blast. My concern is for safety!

hurricane? I wouldn't be so sure of it. Not impossible, probably 50/50. Believe me, having been involved in the science, it's not a lock.

Brownnblue

The governer of FLorida has issued a state of emergency for at least a portion of Florida.

When this goes into effect, all non-emergency vehicles will not be permitted on the road.

Enjoy your mini vactaion and stay safe out there! (tropical storm, hurricane, whatever she eventually may be )

Years and years ago, we had the same type of situation; a rare hurricane was going to hit on a Monday afternoon. No state of emergency was issued in the morning, so we were told to hit the road with no clear instructions as to how to handle the situation.

At about 10:45, I had a delivery for a Dunkin Donuts which happened to be a war room for some of the local emergency management personal. One of them came up to me, in a sort of amazed state, and told me that a state of emergency had been declared, and non-emergency vehicles were to be off the road. I called in to the center manager and told him about this, to which he replied "well, we are emergency vehicles."

I met up with another driver about ten minutes later and we chose to go back to the center, keeping an eye on each other on the way in. Turns out we were some of the last to arrive.

What a joke!! I guess you learn something new every day.

Braveheart

It will be center by center but they will send you out even if they only get 3 hours out of you. They also will keep you out until the last minute too.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Years and years ago, we had the same type of situation; a rare hurricane was going to hit on a Monday afternoon. No state of emergency was issued in the morning, so we were told to hit the road with no clear instructions as to how to handle the situation.

At about 10:45, I had a delivery for a Dunkin Donuts which happened to be a war room for some of the local emergency management personal. One of them came up to me, in a sort of amazed state, and told me that a state of emergency had been declared, and non-emergency vehicles were to be off the road. I called in to the center manager and told him about this, to which he replied "well, we are emergency vehicles."

I met up with another driver about ten minutes later and we chose to go back to the center, keeping an eye on each other on the way in. Turns out we were some of the last to arrive.

What a joke!! I guess you learn something new every day.

Curious, was this Mon Aug 19 1991? :D

If so, yeah the state of emergency was issued around 10am, I remember hearing it on WBZ. Also remember almost losing our roof on Cape Cod, scariest day of my life.

I feel as though UPS is unrealistically unsafe and really should be looked at with more scrutiny with the way the workers are simply hung out to dry (or in this case soak and be blown away). I hear all the time "UPS has a great number uno saftey record" Then you hear stories like this, your center manager blowing you off in a hurricane. Brutal.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Oops, this is why whenever I hear "The weathermen are always wrong, I could do better!", it may be true, but it was probably :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: luck!

WTNT61 KNHC 181918
TCUAT1
Tropical Storm Fay Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS TPC/National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL062008
320 PM EDT Mon Aug 18 2008

The center of Tropical Strom Fay made landfall over Key West Florida
at 3 pm EDT.

$$
Forecaster Beven/Pasch

wornoutupser

Hey Lakeland-
Check out www.myfoxhurricane.com.

It looks like 60 MPH wind in your area by tomorrow. Lakeland, Lake Wales,Vero,Orlando,Tampa,St Pete,Sarasota and possibly Brooksville are in for a rough ride tomorow. I was told tonight that all centers will be open!

LKLND3380

Hey Lakeland-
Check out www.myfoxhurricane.com.

It looks like 60 MPH wind in your area by tomorrow. Lakeland, Lake Wales,Vero,Orlando,Tampa,St Pete,Sarasota and possibly Brooksville are in for a rough ride tomorow. I was told tonight that all centers will be open!

4:45AM start time no day off... I guess we wont need to run the fans but a few packages may get wet... It will be interesting to see a feeder truck change lanes out of control from a wind gust...

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Curious, was this Mon Aug 19 1991? :D

If so, yeah the state of emergency was issued around 10am, I remember hearing it on WBZ. Also remember almost losing our roof on Cape Cod, scariest day of my life.

I feel as though UPS is unrealistically unsafe and really should be looked at with more scrutiny with the way the workers are simply hung out to dry (or in this case soak and be blown away). I hear all the time "UPS has a great number uno saftey record" Then you hear stories like this, your center manager blowing you off in a hurricane. Brutal.

On topic: I think a state of emergency is where you don't have to work.

In 1991 we had a hurricane this way (they dont happen often) and a state of emergency was declared before the storm, so everything was closed that day.

If there's no state of emergency, UPS will probably work you. Will it be safe? Heck no. Where do you draw the line? What do you think?
are you referring to ''THE PERFECT STORM'' I believe that was in Oct of 91 I was pulled over at a stop and a Waltham cop told me to ''get off the road.'' I ran into the stop and called the c/m he started bitching and told me to bang out a few more!!!!yay riiiiight!! i went right in and they only paid us hours worked!! that storm came out of no where and devasted New England!!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
new england is used to brutal winters,but nothing like that storm since 1938! although it was nothing compared to the hurricanes and tornados of the south and mid west it was a hell of alot of damage for what we are used to!! I don't know how some of you folks can handle that constant threat and damage!! at least in New England when our storm is over we just dig out our house and cahs and the house is still there{except some dopes who still build their houses on the dunes of the coast!! morons] good luck to all our people down south!!!!