Hurricane Faye is on the way!

Will UPS close centers for Hurricane Faye?

• Yes, employee safety comes first!

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Possibly-each center will have a safety decision on a case by case basis

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • Let the drivers go and handle it! We are professionals!

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • What Hurricane?

Votes: 13 22.8%

• Total voters

IDoLessWorkThanMost

new england is used to brutal winters,but nothing like that storm since 1938! although it was nothing compared to the hurricanes and tornados of the south and mid west it was a hell of alot of damage for what we are used to!! I don't know how some of you folks can handle that constant threat and damage!! at least in New England when our storm is over we just dig out our house and cahs and the house is still there{except some dopes who still build their houses on the dunes of the coast!! morons] good luck to all our people down south!!!!

Hurricane Bob. The winds were around 115mph in our neighborhood, not counting a possible tornado that touched down closeby too. I was living in E. Falmouth MA then, it was only a very bad storm way down that way, Boston Providence got almost nothing. Had it gone 20 miles west of where it did, would have been just like 54' Carol.

Yeah perfect storm was incredible and the same year. Different animal, something that we probably wont see in our lifetimes. Remember those seas>? 50-100 foot swells! LOL

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Infact, it's possible that if Fay ever does become a hurricane, it'll be when it scrapes off the east coast of Florida and intakes some of high-octane gulf stream fuel. At that point it might become a low-end cat 1, but it'll have bypassed Florida.

I actually might be dead on from a couple days ago. It looks like Fay was not a hurricane at landfall, and the only shot its going to have is by scraping off the east coast of Florida and getting near the gulfstream. We'll see if that happens. :wink2:

I would imagine it wasn't fun delivering in blinding, torrents of rain and high wind gusts. But at least it isn't 98 degrees in the shade like most Florida August days.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Fay did not weaken over land as anticipated and in fact...it is
stronger than it has ever been so far. Initial intensity is
conservatively set at 55 knots. This is based on satellite...radar
and confirmed by surface observations. This has prompted a
significant change in the intensity forecast. Given that Fay has
kept such a well-defined signature on radar and on satellite...the
chances that the cyclone becomes a hurricane as it moves over
the Gulf Stream east of Florida have increased.
The intensification
is supported by SHIPS...the GFDL and the HWRF models...and is
reflected in the official forecast.

Nailed this one.

Brownnblue

Curious, was this Mon Aug 19 1991? :D

If so, yeah the state of emergency was issued around 10am, I remember hearing it on WBZ. Also remember almost losing our roof on Cape Cod, scariest day of my life.

I feel as though UPS is unrealistically unsafe and really should be looked at with more scrutiny with the way the workers are simply hung out to dry (or in this case soak and be blown away). I hear all the time "UPS has a great number uno saftey record" Then you hear stories like this, your center manager blowing you off in a hurricane. Brutal.

Yes, it was that date! Hurricane Bob. My wife was about five months pregnant at the time, adding to the drama.

I remember the big joke being that we are going out in a hurricane to deliver "Auri Car Wax"; big on the infomercial circuit at the time.

You just don't forget things like this.

our center manager told us this morning at PCM that the centers in cocoa and melbourne were underwater... not to mention here in lake and sumter county we are getting hit pretty good today with a lot of wind and rain, they said they wanted everybody off by 6pm and they were cutting routes 10 mins after start time.. go figure right.

CFLBrown

Isn't this day 3 now, Fay has been sitting over Florida?

Yes and it sucks hard core. These storms usually blow out of the state and bother someone else. There is some heavy rainfall here, a lot of flooding and we've got atleast another 12 hours of this mess.