Hurricane Matthew!!

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Mandatory evacuations, state of emergency, possible cat 4 hours after start time, and START TIME IS NORMAL AND EVERYTHING IS BUSINESS AS USUAL...Safety first!

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Mandatory evacuations, state of emergency, possible cat 4 hours after start time, and START TIME IS NORMAL AND EVERYTHING IS BUSINESS AS USUAL...Safety first!
If UPS is stupid enough and thoughtless enough to run the operation in the affected areas, I keep my fingers crossed that they don't but if they do, I hope everyone stays home or evacuates. A box isn't worth a life.

GenericUsername

I live on the West Coast of Florida and we're expecting Tropical Storm force winds in this area. The bridges around here shut down into one of the more major cities at 50 MPH gusts.. I don't see how our center is planning on operating knowing well enough that most people won't be able to come to work, or if we are able to come to work, get home once the bridges shut down.

clean hairy

Do what you have to do to keep yourself out of harms way!
Management cares more about cardboard, I would care about me if in that situation!
As if any discipline would stick in this case?
They would look like fools to even consider that!

Rack em

Made the Podium
I would refuse to work if I felt unsafe. I didn't think people were even supposed to be on the road during a state of emergency?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There are several different stages when it comes to states of emergency, ranging from travel is discouraged to stay the hell off the roads or you will be ticketed.

Faceplanted

FedEx express is having its employees off by 2pm on Thursday and off Friday

Meanwhile nothing from ups. I will have 80-100mph winds in my area fri. it would be nice to have some time to pack up everything outside the house and make other preperations. I also have an elderly family member who I have to get situated before the storm. Schools are closed Thursday and Friday

If my power goes out which it probably will, I have a good feeling come Monday there will be tons of no call no shows.

Dave, under what statute can a police officer ticket? This is America and we have the right to commute even though it might be unsafe and stupid. Curfews are technically unconstitutional. I drove through a hurricane/tropical storm years ago to get Chinese food. A cop pulled me over told me to go home, I got my Chinese food with a friend and went home. The news said everybody needed to be off the road, I was starving and the Chinese spot was open. This was a cat 1 storm that was only a tropical storm by the Tim it got to me. I believe this was hurricane jeaneane. Damn storm was on top of us for a whole weekend.

Once the winds get over 80-90mph :censored2: gets real. Anybody who has experienced this can agree

Last edited:

wornoutupser

I understand your concerns.

My building took a full hit from hurricane Charlie. I have posted in the past that we were told NOT to return to the building until UPS told us to.
We had drivers over an hour south of the center in the path of the storm.

I called in to return after having a funnel cloud pass directly over me. I was told that I would be terminated if I returned.
I returned to the building as winds were blowing rain straight through the building. Nothing was ever done to me for my actions.

By the way-the county EMS services had already stopped running when I went back in.The limit here is 45 MPH sustained winds for them to terminate service. If UPS thinks for one second that they could make a termination stick in these conditions, they are even worse than I ever thought!

Indecisi0n

I understand your concerns.

My building took a full hit from hurricane Charlie. I have posted in the past that we were told NOT to return to the building until UPS told us to.
We had drivers over an hour south of the center in the path of the storm.

I called in to return after having a funnel cloud pass directly over me. I was told that I would be terminated if I returned.
I returned to the building as winds were blowing rain straight through the building. Nothing was ever done to me for my actions.

By the way-the county EMS services had already stopped running when I went back in.The limit here is 45 MPH sustained winds for them to terminate service. If UPS thinks for one second that they could make a termination stick in these conditions, they are even worse than I ever thought!
Why not just go park somewhere and sit on the clock?