Hurricane Matthew!!

Foamer Pyle

When the winds get around 65mph, screened porches start to blow apart, and trees will definitely have limbs break loose. For some reason we always lose power here at around that wind speed. I guarantee, the East Coast will shut down, and West Coast will be business as usual.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
FedEx express is having its employees off by 2pm on Thursday and off Friday

Meanwhile nothing from ups. I will have 80-100mph winds in my area fri. it would be nice to have some time to pack up everything outside the house and make other preperations. I also have an elderly family member who I have to get situated before the storm. Schools are closed Thursday and Friday

If my power goes out which it probably will, I have a good feeling come Monday there will be tons of no call no shows.

Dave, under what statute can a police officer ticket? This is America and we have the right to commute even though it might be unsafe and stupid. Curfews are technically unconstitutional. I drove through a hurricane/tropical storm years ago to get Chinese food. A cop pulled me over told me to go home, I got my Chinese food with a friend and went home. The news said everybody needed to be off the road, I was starving and the Chinese spot was open. This was a cat 1 storm that was only a tropical storm by the Tim it got to me. I believe this was hurricane jeaneane. Damn storm was on top of us for a whole weekend.

Once the winds get over 80-90mph :censored2: gets real. Anybody who has experienced this can agree

Are you all situated and ready?? I took Monday off after spending all weekend tying up loose ends. We are supposed to call in tomorrow to see if we are running. Pretty much everyone I know isn't coming in. This is a bad one and not one to be taken lightly.

It's already starting down here.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Are you all situated and ready?? I took Monday off after spending all weekend tying up loose ends. We are supposed to call in tomorrow to see if we are running. Pretty much everyone I know isn't coming in. This is a bad one and not one to be taken lightly.

Stay safe.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
It's not supposed to get really bad until Thursday night. No reason to suspend operations for two days.

Has an actual "stay off the roads" state of emergency been declared yet?
. Dave
How many hurricanes have you been through?? Rick Scott hasn't issued any declaration to stay off the roads yet. The FDOT would do that.

I will tell you this. The winds alone are dangerous enough that if you're out in it in a ups truck, you could get in an accident and get killed.

But please keep sharing your vast experience in dealing with hurricanes.

That's like me telling you how to handle snowstorms.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I can't remember if it was Hurricane Sandy or Irene.
Governor closed the highways at 2 pm, UPS told us we had to be in by 130 pm.
UPS doesn't care about their employees, only their accountability !!!!

Faceplanted

I'm lucky enough to have a wife who works for a company that cares about their employees. She has been able to take care of damn near everything. I got supplies and my family who needs assistance will be taken care of tomorrow. Regular work day for me tomorrow. 90% of my business customers will be off to get ready. Every update has the storm turning more and more inland so we are expecting 75-100mph sustained winds. I feel bad for the guys who live in more rural areas with actual power lines, some of them already told me they will call in even though they have no option days to try and trim tree limbs that might knock out their house electrical. I live in a newer neighborhood with proper construction and underground power lines so I should be ok.

Tons of beer, alcohol, propane, and meat. Expecting the power to be out for at least a few days. Hopefully the shingles and windows stay intact. Charley ripped off all the shingles on the house I was staying at down to the roof plywood. Leaks ect. No fun at all.

Be safe guys

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I'm lucky enough to have a wife who works for a company that cares about their employees. She has been able to take care of damn near everything. I got supplies and my family who needs assistance will be taken care of tomorrow. Regular work day for me tomorrow. 90% of my business customers will be off to get ready. Every update has the storm turning more and more inland so we are expecting 75-100mph sustained winds. I feel bad for the guys who live in more rural areas with actual power lines, some of them already told me they will call in even though they have no option days to try and trim tree limbs that might knock out their house electrical. I live in a newer neighborhood with proper construction and underground power lines so I should be ok.

Tons of beer, alcohol, propane, and meat. Expecting the power to be out for at least a few days. Hopefully the shingles and windows stay intact. Charley ripped off all the shingles on the house I was staying at down to the roof plywood. Leaks ect. No fun at all.

Be safe guys
. You too. I'm pretty much expecting some damage.

When are secure here and stocked. It's my rental and other property I think will be damaged from flooding or winds.

I'm off Friday planned and on vacation next week so it looks like I'll be dealing with this in my down time.

I can pretty much guarantee I'm starting vacation early tomorrow if the winds are up.

Stay safe @Faceplanted and hang in there.

I wonder if jax hub is shutting down Friday??

Faceplanted

. You too. I'm pretty much expecting some damage.

When are secure here and stocked. It's my rental and other property I think will be damaged from flooding or winds.

I'm off Friday planned and on vacation next week so it looks like I'll be dealing with this in my down time.

I can pretty much guarantee I'm starting vacation early tomorrow if the winds are up.

Stay safe @Faceplanted and hang in there.

I wonder if jax hub is shutting down Friday??
I have 2 rental property too....one mine one my wife's. let's say it's time for a new roof and maybe the gods will work their magic. one isn't in the best of shape so I'm expecting some damage as well. The other is in decent shape.

Both Our rental are in a mandatory flood insurance area.... I'm expecting the worst.

We are about 40 miles inland from where it will make landfall. you guys on the actual coast I hope you guys are getting away. If it gets up to the 135-145mph they are expecting I would not want to be there

Stay safe everybody

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I have a rental property too.... let's say it's time for a new roof and maybe the gods will work their magic. My rental isn't in the best of shape so I'm expecting some damage as well.

My rental is also in a mandatory flood insurance area.... I'm expecting the worst.

We are about 40 miles inland from where it will make landfall. you guys on the actual coast I hope you guys are getting away. If it gets up to the 135-145mph they are expecting I would not want to be there

Stay safe everybody

It's going to be bad. My house is brand new construction a few years ago. Apparently it is built to standards of withstanding a high cat hurricanes.

I'm guessing I'll find out.

iowa boy

From someone in Iowa, I don't envy you in the least.

Stay safe and keep your family safe, and good luck.

I'll take my foot of snow and -30 windchills over what's coming towards you right now.

Faceplanted

From someone in Iowa, I don't envy you in the least.

Stay safe and keep your family safe, and good luck.

I'll take my foot of snow and -30 windchills over what's coming towards you right now.
9/10 times the news really over reacts and makes it seem way worse than what's it is

This storm has my attention and I'm a very much "just another bad thunderstorm" type guy. This ones needs attention

I would much rather have no power for 4/5 days with 80 degree weather than deal with blizzards that knock out power and leave you stuck with a high of 10 degrees.

I guess every place has its negatives. Pretty sure the power will be out, the neighbors and I will take turns grilling and chilling outside while drinking cold beer/warm beer after the 1st day with no power. It's kinda weirdly nice. That's how it was for hurricane Charlie. You really get to know your neighbors.... only to never really talk to them again, storms bring people together like that in Florida/the south

KingofFluff

The damage here along the gulf coast is catastrophic.
There's a frantic effort under way tonight to find
survivors. There are an uncounted number of the dead tonight...
People are being forced to live like animals...
We are desperate...
No one says the federal government is doing a good job..
And hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people...
No water, I fought my country for years..
We need help, we really need help..
In Baghdad, they they drop, they air drop water, food to people..why cant they do that to their own people?
The same idiots that can't get water into a major American city in less than three days are trying to
win a war.....