Hurricane Matthew!!

landrick

Dave, under what statute can a police officer ticket? This is America and we have the right to commute even though it might be unsafe and stupid. Curfews are technically unconstitutional. I drove through a hurricane/tropical storm years ago to get Chinese food. A cop pulled me over told me to go home, I got my Chinese food with a friend and went home. The news said everybody needed to be off the road, I was starving and the Chinese spot was open. This was a cat 1 storm that was only a tropical storm by the Tim it got to me. I believe this was hurricane jeaneane. Damn storm was on top of us for a whole weekend.

Just for the academic discussion: curfews are not automatically (or even generally) unconstitutional. Courts will generally uphold them so long as the curfew will serve a "compelling government interest", and are as narrowly tailored as possible. So, a curfew imposed during civil unrest, or in an emergency to protect life and allow free travel of emergency vehicles would almost certainly stand up to scrutiny. Now, if the government tried to maintain a curfew even after civil disturbances settle down, the ACLU would start getting antsy…

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

FedEx express is having its employees off by 2pm on Thursday and off Friday

Meanwhile nothing from ups. I will have 80-100mph winds in my area fri. it would be nice to have some time to pack up everything outside the house and make other preperations. I also have an elderly family member who I have to get situated before the storm. Schools are closed Thursday and Friday

If my power goes out which it probably will, I have a good feeling come Monday there will be tons of no call no shows.

Dave, under what statute can a police officer ticket? This is America and we have the right to commute even though it might be unsafe and stupid. Curfews are technically unconstitutional. I drove through a hurricane/tropical storm years ago to get Chinese food. A cop pulled me over told me to go home, I got my Chinese food with a friend and went home. The news said everybody needed to be off the road, I was starving and the Chinese spot was open. This was a cat 1 storm that was only a tropical storm by the Tim it got to me. I believe this was hurricane jeaneane. Damn storm was on top of us for a whole weekend.

Once the winds get over 80-90mph :censored2: gets real. Anybody who has experienced this can agree

We had a ice storm in 1998. Travel was banned and anyone not directly involved with the recovery effort who was caught on the roads was ticketed.

Curfews are vital to ensure emergency officials can perform their duties unencumbered.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Mandatory evacuations, state of emergency, possible cat 4 hours after start time, and START TIME IS NORMAL AND EVERYTHING IS BUSINESS AS USUAL...Safety first!
Don't be a wimp...Man up!..What's a little rain?

tumblr_my49qozh0Q1rrhjaso1_400.gif

Faceplanted

Just for the academic discussion: curfews are not automatically (or even generally) unconstitutional. Courts will generally uphold them so long as the curfew will serve a "compelling government interest", and are as narrowly tailored as possible. So, a curfew imposed during civil unrest, or in an emergency to protect life and allow free travel of emergency vehicles would almost certainly stand up to scrutiny. Now, if the government tried to maintain a curfew even after civil disturbances settle down, the ACLU would start getting antsy…
the constitution doesn't exist any more

Shut down the whole city of Boston to catch 2 bad guys..... ya ok

Side note, business as usual in central Florida today for ups.... everybody else is either closed or closing at lunch

worldwide

FedEx express is having its employees off by 2pm on Thursday and off Friday

Meanwhile nothing from ups. I will have 80-100mph winds in my area fri. it would be nice to have some time to pack up everything outside the house and make other preperations. I also have an elderly family member who I have to get situated before the storm. Schools are closed Thursday and Friday

If my power goes out which it probably will, I have a good feeling come Monday there will be tons of no call no shows.

Once the winds get over 80-90mph :censored2: gets real. Anybody who has experienced this can agree

"At this time, there will be no pickups or deliveries today (Oct. 6) in affected areas of South Carolina and Florida where immediate evacuations have been ordered."

Service Updates: UPS

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I can't remember if it was Hurricane Sandy or Irene.
Governor closed the highways at 2 pm, UPS told us we had to be in by 130 pm.
UPS doesn't care about their employees, only their accountability !!!!
Sandy probably. Irene hit us on a Saturday afternoon/evening.
I remember driving home from work the morning of Sandy. ...watching trees start falling ajacent to the LIE. By the time I got home...the power was already out and stayed out for 10 days.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
the constitution doesn't exist any more

Shut down the whole city of Boston to catch 2 bad guys..... ya ok

Side note, business as usual in central Florida today for ups.... everybody else is either closed or closing at lunch

Most recent update has the winds at 140mph. Tons of open water before it makes landfall. Will mr Matthew make a cat 5 strike?

Orlando hub shut down tonight and tomorrow right?

I can tell you this is going to be a bad one. Winds are gusty.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Hurricanes are the real deal and not to be taken lightly. On Sept 12, 2008, Ike rolled over Texas. My weekend/retirement home at the beach disappeared from the face the earth. All that was left on my lot was a telephone, half of a commode and part of 3 pilings sticking out of the sand. It wiped out the entire subdivision. Based on the grass on the telephone pole outside my house, the storm surge was 13-15'. My primary residence is about 70 miles inland from Galveston and the wind was enough that a large tree fell on the back of my house. I was pretty cavalier about hurricanes. I had actually ridden out several. No more. They get all the respect in the world from me.

moreluck

golden ticket member
With days of warnings.........you should be out of there. That picture of some guy swimming in the surf is crazy. The guy has to be suicidal.

With earthquakes, there's no warnings.

Things can be replaced....people can't. Don't be all macho about the warnings.......follow the evacuation instructions.