Hurricane

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was searching, and did not find. Just how much was the debt ceiling raised for 9/11 and Katrina?

All I could find is that President Bush added about $1.5T to the debt after dealing with 9/11 and Katrina--there was no mention of a corresponding raise in the debt ceiling.

I normally go to the grocery store on Sunday mornings but decided to go this afternoon just in case. It was crowded but not nearly as bad as I thought it may be, with a combination of Irene and the college kids moving in this weekend. The shelves were full and I was able to get all that I wanted with no problem.

This is still the only update on upsers for my region:

The Chelmsford, MA - Day Sort on Sunday, August 28 has been cancelled. Employees on that sort should not report to work.

klein

Für Meno :)
I was searching, and did not find. Just how much was the debt ceiling raised for 9/11 and Katrina?

He raised the debt ceiling 14 times during his presidency, who knows for what each time.

A few I can think of, 9/11, the wars he started, the tax cuts he gave, medicare part B he gave, Katrina, tarp, and who knows what else.

klein

ok, the wars the US people have started, does that sound better ? Hopefully !

Besides all that, I didn't know the US can go to war without approval of the president or Commander in Chunk !

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
ok, the wars the US people have started, does that sound better ? Hopefully !

Besides all that, I didn't know the US can go to war without approval of the president or Commander in Chunk !
War takes approval from congress........except for Obama who has an idea that he doesn't have to follow the rules.

klein

You know, Bush came to Canada and asked our Prime Minister to join the war against Iraq.
Our PM told him to come back in a week or 2 and give him some solid proof that Saddam has Weapons of mass destruction.

Sure, enough, Bush comes back 2 weeks later, and had nothing - NO soild proof !
That's when our PM decided we aren't going to war with the USA.
And damn was he ever right !

You can read Tony Blairs book - his biggest regret is believing Bush and going to war with him !

moreluck

golden ticket member
........"Anyways, back to topic : Now 8 hurricane related deaths confirmed.........." (Klein)

Is counting dead Americans a new hobby for you??

klein

Hey Moreluck, I know you news doesn't show it, but if you think Irene just disappears off the map (well, maybe your map) after Upstate New York,Maine or New England, then you are totally wrong.
But, it don't matter, since once Irene leaves the US border, the US media will not cover it anymore (just the US aftermath).

moreluck

golden ticket member
My news said there were tropical storm warnings for Canada, so the map continues.....I just like to think the world is flat and we fall off at the Canadian border.

brownedout

Anyway....I have been very impressed with NJ Governor Chris Christie throughout this situation. He seems to have a good handle on the situation and has been conveying a sense of urgency while urging everyone to remain calm. He has stressed the importance of the mandatory evacuation orders and, as Over and others have said, has said that those who choose to stay will be on their own and could be cut off for up to a week. This disaster and the way that he has handled it may have boosted his presidential chances.
Although no fan of Gov. Christie I too have to admit he is handling this quite well SO FAR. Let's hope it continues when the real "pounding" starts. He was rather non-commital about whether he would "hole up" at the Governer's mansion in Princeton or at his residence in Mendham. Princeton should have been his easy answer, after his out of town fiasco during the day after Christmas blizzard last year.

We were told to call before going in Monday morning. We won't be impacted as severely here but most of our ground comes through Meadowlands and our air out of Philly and Louisville so our center manager told us he honestly does not know what to expect.
Our center manager gave the PCM friday, something he rarely does. He stated that although bad weather was predicted we should plan to be working on Mon. Hospitals and other "essential" deliveries would likely be neccessary. I have a hard time believing that hospitals would be so ill prepared for an emergency such as what's predicted that they would need UPS or any delivery company to replenish their inventories. He also stated that seeing the brown trucks would signify to people that yes life goes on. Well after the PCM I just had to ask if the words came from Division, District, Region, or Corporate. He responded Region. I find it incredibly pompass, and arrogant of our upper management to release those words, with no clue about what would be awaiting us Monday morning. Whats being predicted around here is going to make driving damn near impossible for at least 24-36 hours and most of us will have clean ups to attend to. Not that, that matters, seeing how much time they gave us to prepare for the storm. NOT!!! Must be nice looking down at all the paupers from the ivory tower.