hurt back at ups?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
A strong core/with proper package handling is key. It is hard work, but getting a strong core is priceless. A strong core also minimizes the chances of improperly handling packages. Also strengthen your legs, and routinely stretch out your calves and hams. Limber limbs minimize undue stress on your back. Once you get these down you will work back injury free.

I would like to point out that cold stretching before a workout/UPS shift has been proven to cause more injuries than it prevents. Stretching is good-- if it's before a workout, though, it should be done after a warm-up but before the actual exercise. The optimal time to stretch would be after strenuous activity, not before.

That's why HOT yoga is all the craze now.

CaptainObvious

and you still work for ups?
Yup. Making transition to feeders. Drove pkgs for 13 years. Back surgery in '05.

I stretch every morning before I leave for work. It helps out a lot. I feel fine.

How long were you out for after your back surgery? Just curious as my wife will be having a L5 S1 replacement in the near future.

BTW, jealous you get to transition into feeders after 13 years..... Congrats! I'm 18 years in package and will most likely retire before I get a chance at feeders.

Just noticed your signature below: A fellow waterfowler! :cool:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I would like to point out that cold stretching before a workout/UPS shift has been proven to cause more injuries than it prevents. Stretching is good-- if it's before a workout, though, it should be done after a warm-up but before the actual exercise. The optimal time to stretch would be after strenuous activity, not before.

Its oh so true. The body pushed into a muscle stretching faze before a workout proves to be more harmful then helpful. Muscles are feed blood on the demand of it of use and prolonged affects. To cause an effect while cold often leeds to bad habits in the muscle that can cause injury. Often, in the past, most coaches would have their players run a mile before lifting any weights at all. To get the blood flowing and have the heart rate ready to take on the task.

As for work, I take it slow for atleast 15-30 mins, let me warm up and then I bring it. Its the same concept. Working hard right off the start is a good way to running into cramps and strains.

J

jibbs

You ever try a little yoga? You could be in a 35 degree room and get heated pretty quickly with some of that advanced smile*. My sister-in-law's taking a class (or classes? I haven't asked much about it) to become a yoga instructor so I get random exercise and stretching tips from her pretty frequently.

Holding something like this for a minute'll take the wind right outta ya:

Eight-Crooked-Limbs.jpg

CaptainObvious

You ever try a little yoga? You could be in a 35 degree room and get heated pretty quickly with some of that advanced smile*. My sister-in-law's taking a class (or classes? I haven't asked much about it) to become a yoga instructor so I get random exercise and stretching tips from her pretty frequently.

Holding something like this for a minute'll take the wind right outta ya:

Eight-Crooked-Limbs.jpg

Holding something like that for a minute would end in a trip to the E.R for me! :eek:

J

jibbs

No worries, man, I can hold it for maybe 4 seconds before it feels like my left wrist is about to snap and I hit the ground hard.

packageguy

I am 22 have been at ups for almost 3 years now. my back has been bothering me for a few months now and I started wearing a back brace and I am started physical therapy this week. has anyone here worked with bad pain? I'm so nervous because I wanted to make UPS my career. I want to get into driving because I feel that it would be easier on my body but I heard it is very difficult. would they move me to a light duty position until my back healed such as small sort if I told them about my pain?

​yes be honest. if it happend at work report it

gingerkat

How long were you out for after your back surgery? Just curious as my wife will be having a L5 S1 replacement in the near future.

BTW, jealous you get to transition into feeders after 13 years..... Congrats! I'm 18 years in package and will most likely retire before I get a chance at feeders.

Just noticed your signature below: A fellow waterfowler! :cool:
Sir, find out exactly what surgery your wife is having done. There are different procedures with different healing times. I had a Microdiscectomy on my L4, L5 & S1 and I walked out of surgery the same day. The next day I walked a few blocks, just because I could.

lateagain

I had a fusion of L5 S1 where they went through my abdomen. My recovery was extremely tough, a LOT of pain. I was back to work as a driver 4 months after surgery, and I have been at it for about 4 years since surgery. I feel pretty good now, but I guard my back now. I don't want to go through that again.