Hurt Last Night

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
If I was giving treatment I would know what happened to his foot.
I don't
without xrays, how do you know what happened to the foot? might be a sprain, might be a bruise, might be broken.

helping a guy down and to a seat is giving aid, applying ice is treatment.
I know CPR and the heimlich manuever

both of those are rendering aid, not treatment.

find some other example.

d

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
D

You are obviously just in a bad mood !!!!:whiteflag:

Giving CPR and the heimlich is aid but helping an employee put an ice bag is treatment ?????
IT IS ALL FIRST AID

HELPING AN EMPLOYEE ADMINISTER FIRST AID IS NOT TREATMENT

Last edited:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Do you even realize what you typed in post #23

Giving an icepack to an empoyee is treatment
CPR , Heimlich manuever, and helping an employee to a chair is first aid

You are just exchanging treatment and first aid to win the argument
Giving an employee an icepack is not being a doctor and is not going to make a bruise, sprain, or broken bone any worse

I was in management for 3 years and would be expected to help the employee help himself.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
heffe

you win!

it might be considered first aid. but the same person that advised such also stated that in the hands of a sharp attorney......

but let me set the stage for what was actually done
my supe pulled me to the side
told me to try and walk it off or sit down for a minute

walk it off? or sit for a minute? and then sent home?

sorry. sounds like to me they were attempting to sweep it under the rug. it has happened here a lot with the part timers, and new drivers as well.

and obviously, the poster does not understand (or did not before this post) that this is covered under workers comp, not company insurance.

again, you are correct.

d

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You made a great argument and even had to make me think harder on this.

What we can agree on is that this is not a black/white issue and is a fuzzy gray area. A good lawyer can make good intentions seem wrong.

Common sense should be used at all times and not reporting an injury or "hiding" it will cause more harm than good

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
That sup sounds like my old football coach, whenever someone got hurt in practice you could always hear him yelling "Walk it Off",Walk it Off"!...

SFBayUPSer

Just for the record I didn't agree with washing my cut in the drinking fountain, but I was directed to do so, and then given a band-aid supplied by my sup. :)

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
understood.

management saw the fountain was much closer than the bathroom, therefore you would be back to work sooner etc etc.

that was not aimed at you btw. after i reread the post, i could see where you thought it might.

hope the thing does not get infected. the water cooler has more germs than the comode in many areas:sick:

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Heff and Daniel

You guys are trying to split hairs here.

Daniel, the company should not get away with trying to sweep an injury under the rug. On this you are absolutely right. We all know they will do whatever it takes to protect their numbers. I think Heff is right though, also. There are basic first aid steps that everyone has been taught. Ice (or maybe RICE-Rest and Ice) is one of them.

Even the general public is protected (to some degree) when helping out in an emergency. There are laws that protect the John or Jane Doe from lawsuits when rendering aid to someone else, if it's done with the 'best of intentions'. I was told by our local PD that if JQ Public stops at the scene of an accident to help and is consequently injured the city assumes resposibility for that injury.

I am amazed, no I take that back, I am dumbfounded that UPS would give a warning letter to a driver for saving someones life. And I say this from personal experience. We have a very dear and close friend who died in an accident this past Sunday and if it weren't for 2 people (medical professionals) who stopped at the scene of the accident and rendered CPR he would still be dead today. If I am not mistaken, medical professionals have an ethical responsibility to stop and render aid, and for UPS to expect anything less is totally assinine.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
We have a very dear and close friend who died in an accident this past Sunday and if it weren't for 2 people (medical professionals) who stopped at the scene of the accident and rendered CPR he would still be dead today.

dilli, you been hitting the adult beverages too hard this early?

i think you meant he woyld still be alive today.

as it is, he died sunday, and should still be dead today........?

ill have two of what you are having, my head hurts trying to figure out that one.

sorry to hear about the friend!

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
dilli, you been hitting the adult beverages too hard this early?

i think you meant he woyld still be alive today.

as it is, he died sunday, and should still be dead today........?

ill have two of what you are having, my head hurts trying to figure out that one.

sorry to hear about the friend!

d
No Daniel he was dead and was revived by the 2 that stopped.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
well in that case, give me more, and serve some up for your friend as well.

now it makes sense.

damn, long day i guess.

had that happen to me once. was running a bus route taking old women to and from church.

maude, who was about 85 something stepped off the bus. she was greeted by her cat about halfway to the door. she bent over and dropped dead.

lucky for me cathy my Rn wife was with me that day, along with her brother. he went to call it in, while cat and i did cpr. mostly her.

maude made it and 6 weeks later was back on the bus with the rest of the ole gals.

i love it when a story has a good ending........

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
yeah, but thank god he was wearing a helmet. He was riding with another couple, also good friends of ours. They did not witness the accident but said there was no traffic and the road conditions were clear. We will probably never know exactly what happened. They were less than 30 seconds in front. Lost him around a corner and when he didn't show went back to see why. He was laying in the middle of the road along with the bike. The 2 that stopped and did CPR did so for nearly an hour before the ambulance got there. Rural area.

Cracked ribs punctured both lungs. Clinically he was dead on scene. Swelling and a blood clot on the brain. They did emergency surgery sun nite.