Hurt on the job before the bid. where in the contract does it say I can not bid on route

I am a 25yr vet was hurt before the bid I will be back in 6 weeks had surgery. where is it written in the contract I cannot bid. Under the contract it states under seniority no one can lose there seniority as long as they meet there medical requirements. So when I come back I am bumbing anybody with less seniority than me. If anyone knows different please tell me where in the contract.

You might not be able to bid if you are out on workman's comp, depends on your manager. You will be able to bump after you are cleared to come back to work. either way you will get whatever bid you have enough seniority for.

box_beeyotch

Yep. The bids went up this past Monday. Drivers will stay on the bids for three years this time around and each center is required to bid "ALL" routes including training routes and routes that aren't in the lineup every day. My center is even bidding routes that aren't even in every week. I didn't think they'd go that far.

That's not happening on my side of town. Still an annual bid.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
In the Central you can bid on a job while you are on disability. The only problem is that Article 3 Section 8 states that the job will be filled 10 days after the completion of the bidding process.

UPS took the stand, and the union agreed, that if someone is on disability or comp and cannot fill the job in that 10 days, that they lose the bid and it goes to the next highest bidder.

According to the supplement, you must be able to fill the job in 10 days. Sorry.

Yep.

I actually won a grievance on that one.

The driver had been released by his doctor, before the implementation of the bid.

The company, wanted him to be seen by their doctor before returning and tried to take

the position he wasn't eligible. Wrong. (they didn't want him on the route)

It upset the next guy in line.... But, it was the correct position to take. For everyone.

-Bug-

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I agree with some other folks on here. You should be able to bump anyone below you in seniority. Management doesn't want to do that since the guy you bump gets to bump, etc. Too much paperwork them. lol.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I agree with some other folks on here. You should be able to bump anyone below you in seniority. Management doesn't want to do that since the guy you bump gets to bump, etc. Too much paperwork them. lol.

As always.... It depends on your supplement or Local agreements.

In the Central Region, there is a definitive timeline for bids and fulfilling them.

Seniority applies, but you have to be available.

Just as.... you sign the bid, and it comes down, you've won it. No backing out.

Can't hold up the process because of "if and when", someone might come back to work.

-Bug-

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Yep.

I actually won a grievance on that one.

The driver had been released by his doctor, before the implementation of the bid.

The company, wanted him to be seen by their doctor before returning and tried to take

the position he wasn't eligible. Wrong. (they didn't want him on the route)

It upset the next guy in line.... But, it was the correct position to take. For everyone.

-Bug-
Yes it was the correct, and the contractual, thing to do.

By The Book

As always.... It depends on your supplement or Local agreements.

In the Central Region, there is a definitive timeline for bids and fulfilling them.

Seniority applies, but you have to be available.

Just as.... you sign the bid, and it comes down, you've won it. No backing out.

Can't hold up the process because of "if and when", someone might come back to work.

-Bug-
I would think that these bids could be(awarded)fulfilled to the senior bidder and then temp bid until the winner of the bid gets back. If this isn't an option then the language blows. I guess in the central it's win a bid get hurt not get hurt win a bid.

mreed171

I would think that these bids could be(awarded)fulfilled to the senior bidder and then temp bid until the winner of the bid gets back. If this isn't an option then the language blows. I guess in the central it's win a bid get hurt not get hurt win a bid.
That is happening in my center I was hurt back in 8/14 and it is not looking like I will be back until the summer. Center called me last week to see if I wanted to bid my route. They are covering my route with TCD's.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It is not an option in the Central and the language does need fixed. It It is one of those things that the union thought was good for the membership, but it has backfired.

The union made a time line for UPS to put the bid winner on the bid. Instead of UPS waiting till whenever, they have to put the winner on it within 10 days.

But this same language was interpreted by UPS, and reluctantly agreed to by the union, that if the bid winner cannot start this bid within the 10 days, that he loses the bid and it goes to the next highest bidder who is available to start the bid within this 10 day period.

So yes, the language in the Central needs changed. Why should a person not win a bid just because he is on disability?

EasyTrucker

In our bldg, up until last year you bid a run when it was your turn even if you were out then they just covered it every week until you returned. Now if you are out you don't get to bid until you return to work at which time you get to bump into a route that a junior guy has. And the company will say show us in the contract where it says we can't do it........lol

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We have a couple guys out on long term comp. They bid both of their routes. The guys get to keep the route until these 2 either come back or leave permanently. If they are done, the route gets re-bid.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We have a couple guys out on long term comp. They bid both of their routes. The guys get to keep the route until these 2 either come back or leave permanently. If they are done, the route gets re-bid.

reyUpser

Hello, Im a FT driver out of the Dallas HUB, I have a question regarding bids..............To start off, This would be my second year as a FT driver, two weeks ago I won a building wide bid for a route because the previous driver had gotten discharged....everything is going good, except two weeks into taking the route.....HR calls me for a combo job.....I then againg said yes..., then the day after HR disquilifies me for had taking the route a couple of weeks earlier, stating that I had to stay six months on the same route. Except all routes go up for bid in the center in March, does that make me elegible for the combos again?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Hello, Im a FT driver out of the Dallas HUB, I have a question regarding bids..............To start off, This would be my second year as a FT driver, two weeks ago I won a building wide bid for a route because the previous driver had gotten discharged....everything is going good, except two weeks into taking the route.....HR calls me for a combo job.....I then againg said yes..., then the day after HR disquilifies me for had taking the route a couple of weeks earlier, stating that I had to stay six months on the same route. Except all routes go up for bid in the center in March, does that make me elegible for the combos again?
Cannot answer that without knowing what supplement you are under. Each one is different.

By The Book

You should of had to stay on a bid you won for 6 months. If I'm reading this correctly, when hr called about a combo rte. are they saying you held this combo rte and did not stay on it 6 months? I'm confused on which routes you had in what order.