husband terminated...advice please.

jes13r

My husband has been with ups for three years now and is/was a temporary cover driver. He was recently discharged for dishonesty. He sheeted up packages while waiting at his letter box rather than at the actual address when no one was home to send back dish network boxes. He knows what he did was wrong, and only defense was that he was trying to save some time. He has no previous disciplinary actions against him.

He went to the local hearing and admitted he did wrong and was trying to save time. Apologized, etc. Now it is going to a regional panel. Any advice or enlightenment for us?

We have two year old twins and it's taken a pretty big toll on our savings to pay bills while he's been out of work, plus the expenses for traveling to the hearing. Hoping he won't be going for nothing.

T

Turdferguson

Sorry to hear about what is going on. Unfortunately he is at the mercy of management at this point. Dishonesty is a cardinal offence at UPS. Admit he was wrong ,swallow your pride and hope for mercy from the grievance panel.
If he does get his job back tell him to remember this feeling. We are not paid to try and save them money or time ,but do what we are told to do.

jes13r

Thanks. I figured it was just going to be mercy thing. He did go take full responsibility and admit stupidity at the local hearing. The guy from the UPS side said he was going to recommend that the dishonesty be removed, but evidently it didn't turn out that way.

The district union man said that he "is confident that employment will be regained to some capacity"....so we're hoping it's worth going to the panel (7+ hours away plus 3 days of hotel room)

HardknocksUPSer

Thanks. I figured it was just going to be mercy thing. He did go take full responsibility and admit stupidity at the local hearing. The guy from the UPS side said he was going to recommend that the dishonesty be removed, but evidently it didn't turn out that way.

The district union man said that he "is confident that employment will be regained to some capacity"....so we're hoping it's worth going to the panel (7+ hours away plus 3 days of hotel room)
Worth it

T

Turdferguson

It is. Just listen to the union B.A and don't talk unless they ask a direct question to him. Be as humble as possible and don't try to justify what he did.
Good luck

jes13r

Alright. Thank you guys.

We're hoping for the best...this has definitely deflated some of the big heads of my husband's buddies at work and most definitely his own.

oldngray

nowhere special
My guess is he gets his job off but time off without pay. Its a real crap shoot so hard to predict.

Last edited:

jes13r

One more thing....the Union B. A. said that it wasn't actually necessary to go to the hearing and that he could speak on his behalf there. Would it be in his best interest to actually go himself to show how much he wants it back?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One more thing....the Union B. A. said that it wasn't actually necessary to go to the hearing and that he could speak on his behalf there. Would it be in his best interest to actually go himself to show how much he wants it back?

Yes but not if it means putting you guys in the poor house.

Have your husband call the BA to see if he can submit a notarized statement rather than attend the hearing.

jes13r

Will do.

After this hearing (Sept 22-24th)...how long does it typically take to get a decision one way or another?

Just any ballpark would be great to try to financially plan a bit.

Absolutely show up. Don't care if he has to sleep in the car.
Yes but not if it means putting you guys in the poor house.

Have your husband call the BA to see if he can submit a notarized statement rather than attend the hearing.

He needs to go to the panel. Appearance means alot.

Grey

So he attempted to del and the customer wasn't home so he waited to sheet it as NI until later in the day?

jes13r

All I know of the specifics are what's in the termination letter.

"Did not follow proper methods and procedures when you did not sheet packages properly."

oldngray

nowhere special
It would suck to lose your job over DISH call tags. They are never urgent and frequently send agains or moved. What is important is the dishonesty.