husband terminated...advice please.

newfie

There's no such thing as a "last chance", everything is grievable. Unjust or unwarranted discipline doesn't suddenly become ungrievable just because the company says it was the employees last chance. It's language designed to impress upon the employee that he caught a break and he needs to straighten out.

not to diminish that point but its better to avoid any future events rather then take that risk.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There's no such thing as a "last chance", everything is grievable. Unjust or unwarranted discipline doesn't suddenly become ungrievable just because the company says it was the employees last chance. It's language designed to impress upon the employee that he caught a break and he needs to straighten out.

If the employee is fired for sheeting call tags away from the stop and is brought back on a last chance agreement he will lost his job permanently if he is caught doing the same thing again.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

In this case, there is no reason to try and hash out whether a last chance agreement exists or doesn't exist.

The OP had a discharge reduced to a suspension. Do the same thing again and he will not be coming back whether it was supposedly a last chance agreement or not.

bbsam

Staff member
If the employee is fired for sheeting call tags away from the stop and is brought back on a last chance agreement he will lost his job permanently if he is caught doing the same thing again.
I think that goes for several circumstances. I think I signed something like that on return from a treatment center once. But then again, I've seen people return to UPS after multiple DUI's and it's hard to believe they didn't sign something similar multiple times.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've seen drivers fired multiple times for the same offenses and get their jobs back. It's not a career plan that I would recommend but at the same time I would never tell anyone that they weren't going to get their job back because they made the same mistake twice.

G

Googler666

My husband has been with ups for three years now and is/was a temporary cover driver. He was recently discharged for dishonesty. He sheeted up packages while waiting at his letter box rather than at the actual address when no one was home to send back dish network boxes. He knows what he did was wrong, and only defense was that he was trying to save some time. He has no previous disciplinary actions against him.

He went to the local hearing and admitted he did wrong and was trying to save time. Apologized, etc. Now it is going to a regional panel. Any advice or enlightenment for us?

We have two year old twins and it's taken a pretty big toll on our savings to pay bills while he's been out of work, plus the expenses for traveling to the hearing. Hoping he won't be going for nothing.
Theres always a solution

Last edited by a moderator: