Hypocrisy 101.... right wing style...

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
A college campus conducted a staged protest and as a part of this protest, the american flag was layed on the ground and individuals walked on it.

A woman, Michelle Manhart, a former air force staff sgt saw this action and took great offense to the desecration of the US Flag, so she intervened.

She lectured the protesters first, then took the flag and held it, refusing to give it back until the police were called. She was so offended by the misuse of the flag, she decided to fight with the police

One problem.

Michelle Manhart posed nude with the flag for money, draping it on the floor, and desecrating it herself.

Apparently, Michelles right wing handlers didnt do their homework before they unleashed her on the protesters...

Michelle has some explaining to do.

Of course, while appearing on FOX news this morning to talk about how horrified she was that the flag was desecrated, BILL HEMMER made NO MENTION of the flag code or her previous posing nude with the flag with it draped on the ground.

Hypocrisy knows no bounds with either FOX news or the right wing.

that-one-708x350.jpg

11164850_10203815566381967_5828583376855523438_o.jpg

§176. Respect for flag
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing
. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor. •

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

• (b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

• (c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

• (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

• (e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

• (friend) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

• (g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

• (h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

• (i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

• (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

• (k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

Nobody in the right wing understands the US flag code apparently.

willie-robertson-blames-abysmal-ratings-duck-dynasty-455x303.jpg

TOS.

rod

Retired 22 years
I really don't see what she did with the flag as a Playboy model as degrading--nowhere near what they were doing to it at that student protest. All those "rules" that you listed are just suggestions. None of it is actually against the law--its just stated that you "shouldn't" be doing that to the flag. I see this as more of a "what she believes in" case than an "against the law case". She was probably wrong to "steal" their trashed flag but I would side with her and defend her action to save that flag. Besides that ---- she's cute.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I really don't see what she did with the flag as a Playboy model as degrading--nowhere near what they were doing to it at that student protest. All those "rules" that you listed are just suggestions. None of it is actually against the law--its just stated that you "shouldn't" be doing that to the flag. I see this as more of a "what she believes in" case than an "against the law case". She was probably wrong to "steal" their trashed flag but I would side with her and defend her action to save that flag. Besides that ---- she's cute.

Its called the US FLAG CODE... or in laymans terms, THE LAW.

Of course you dont see anything wrong with her draping the flag on the ground and standing on it while naked, youre part of the hypocrisy.

The US Flag code is pretty clear.

In bold describes everything WRONG with what she did to the flag, but of course you dont even see the flag in the photo.

TOS.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Of course you dont see anything wrong with her draping the flag on the ground and standing on it while naked, youre part of the hypocrisy.

In bold describes everything WRONG with what she did to the flag, but of course you dont even see the flag in the photo.

TOS.

bbsam

Staff member
Crazy how the flag code is and has been summarily ignored. I guess if we ignore it for some we have to ignore it for all.

worldwide

TOS.

I agree with you that respect should be shown to the flag. While there are laws that prohibit certain acts, enforcing those laws are another matter.

From www.usflag.org:

US "Flag Code." "This code is the guide for all handling and display of the Stars and Stripes. It does not impose penalties for misuse of the United States Flag. That is left to the states and to the federal government for the District of Columbia. Each state has its own flag law.

Criminal penalties for certain acts of desecration to the flag were contained in Title 18 of the United States Code prior to 1989. The Supreme Court decision in Texas v. Johnson; June 21, 1989, held the statute unconstitutional. This statute was amended when the Flag Protection Act of 1989 (Oct. 28, 1989) imposed a fine and/or up to I year in prison for knowingly mutilating, defacing, physically defiling, maintaining on the floor or trampling upon any flag of the United States. The Flag Protection Act of 1989 was struck down by the Supreme Court decision, United States vs. Eichman, decided on June 11, 1990."

Basically, an individual's First Amendment rights outweigh the government's interest in preserving the flag.

Hypocrites exist in all political parties, whether conservative or liberal.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
A college campus conducted a staged protest and as a part of this protest, the american flag was layed on the ground and individuals walked on it.

A woman, Michelle Manhart, a former air force staff sgt saw this action and took great offense to the desecration of the US Flag, so she intervened.

She lectured the protesters first, then took the flag and held it, refusing to give it back until the police were called. She was so offended by the misuse of the flag, she decided to fight with the police

One problem.

Michelle Manhart posed nude with the flag for money, draping it on the floor, and desecrating it herself.

Apparently, Michelles right wing handlers didnt do their homework before they unleashed her on the protesters...

Michelle has some explaining to do.

Of course, while appearing on FOX news this morning to talk about how horrified she was that the flag was desecrated, BILL HEMMER made NO MENTION of the flag code or her previous posing nude with the flag with it draped on the ground.

Hypocrisy knows no bounds with either FOX news or the right wing.

that-one-708x350.jpg

11164850_10203815566381967_5828583376855523438_o.jpg

• (c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

Nobody in the right wing understands the US flag code apparently

TOS.

funeral-flag-military.png

Hmmm, seems pretty horizontal to me.

The comment about the right wing not understanding the flag code after posting an article linking to a story about college kids walking on it is a bit.....hypocritical, is it not?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Did the flag touch her hoo-ha?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
funeral-flag-military.png

Hmmm, seems pretty horizontal to me.

The comment about the right wing not understanding the flag code after posting an article linking to a story about college kids walking on it is a bit.....hypocritical, is it not?

The Right Wing gets all over anything that is "patriotic", because you think you own that territory. The great thing about America is that you can burn the flag, wipe your ass with the flag, or do anything else you want with it...and nobody will throw you in prison, cut your head off, or arrest you. It's a symbol of our freedom, and it's what it stands for that is important, not the physical flag itself.

A concept of freedom, embodied in the flag. I know, you won't understand.

rod

Retired 22 years

TOS.

The US Flag Code is not a law. It is a suggested code to which most normal human beings live up to. The Supreme Court on many occasions has said that trashing a flag is not against the law. Try to keep up with the times

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Honorable. Monday was exercising his Free Speech rights by taking away theirs. That's how it's supposed to work. It they had been successful, they would have been excoriated by the crowd, and maybe even given a beatdown. Freedom isn't free, but it works both ways.

trickpony1

I was gonna say, "there is a clear and distinct difference between the photo of the girl with the flag and what the college kids were doing" but I'm sure some of you wouldn't understand.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I was gonna say, "there is a clear and distinct difference between the photo of the girl with the flag and what the college kids were doing" but I'm sure some of you wouldn't understand.

Yes, cause we are not the perverts...

Only a right wing wacko would think what staff sgt manhart did was "art"... draping the flag on the ground and standing on it while wiping it in her hooha.

TOS.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The Right Wing gets all over anything that is "patriotic", because you think you own that territory. The great thing about America is that you can burn the flag, wipe your ass with the flag, or do anything else you want with it...and nobody will throw you in prison, cut your head off, or arrest you. It's a symbol of our freedom, and it's what it stands for that is important, not the physical flag itself.

A concept of freedom, embodied in the flag. I know, you won't understand.

Tell that tonyour buddy, he's the one all bent out of shape.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yes, cause we are not the perverts...

Only a right wing wacko would think what staff sgt manhart did was "art"... draping the flag on the ground and standing on it while wiping it in her hooha.

TOS.

you sure have a vivid imagination. Looking at thoses Playboy poses I don't see her "wiping her hooha or standing on the flag. At worst maybe the flag is touching the ground.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Both are Free Speech. While I disagree with the college kids and the baseball game would-be flag burners as well, they are exercising their rights. The tattoos are a big turn-off for me.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Honorable. Monday was exercising his Free Speech rights by taking away theirs. That's how it's supposed to work. It they had been successful, they would have been excoriated by the crowd, and maybe even given a beatdown. Freedom isn't free, but it works both ways.

The two fans may have had a right to burn the flag as an act of free speech, but they didn't have a right to do it on the playing field of a sporting event. The stadium is private property, and the purchase of a ticket requires the holder of the ticket to abide by certain rules.

I have always felt the best way to prevent hooligans and idiots from running onto the field at sporting events is to pass a law allowing the players on the field to use any level of force they want to in order to eject trespassers from the playing field. Its all fun and games until your little drunken streaking exhibition gets ended by a 260 lb linebacker with a clothesline tackle.