I am going to apply for UPS at the end of the month.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I am college student and I live in Lowell,MA. So I hope they help me with the 3k thing a year.. :P
However, I am doing bad at my current job due to college.. I don't sleep enough... you think because I am doing bad in my current job, I may not get hired at UPS?

The recruiter said she'll call me at the end of the month for me to apply. So I may get hired.. but I am concern because I am doing bad at my job.. they might check that...=\ I think that's utter bull crap :P

PS: I want to choose 1st shift because it's more convenient. Hopefully preloading is not hard. :P

Good luck with the job. It's a difficult job, for sure.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Also, myself and a few others work in the Chelmsford hub. Assumign you are applying there ? I'll be preloading sometime before June 15th anyway for the next two years. I enjoy preloading. it's a somewhat rewarding job.

Loading is also a difficult job. The day, twilight and mid sorts are not easy to be hired onto so preloading may be the only option right now. Hopefully business picks up..

One of the women in our twilight shift area was laid off a few weeks ago. She had 4 months seniority and she was forced onto the preload. :knockedout:

BrownNinjaz

Also, myself and a few others work in the Chelmsford hub. Assumign you are applying there ? I'll be preloading sometime before June 15th anyway for the next two years. I enjoy preloading. it's a somewhat rewarding job.

Loading is also a difficult job. The day, twilight and mid sorts are not easy to be hired onto so preloading may be the only option right now. Hopefully business picks up..

One of the women in our twilight shift area was laid off a few weeks ago. She had 4 months seniority and she was forced onto the preload. :knockedout:
People say Preloading is hard because you need to be good with numbers >_< You think I will be alright if I choose preload? And yes, I will be applying at chelmsford. :P I might see you there. ha ha

But if twilight is available, should I choose thaT? :P

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
People say Preloading is hard because you need to be good with numbers >_< You think I will be alright if I choose preload? And yes, I will be applying at chelmsford. :P I might see you there. ha ha

But if twilight is available, should I choose thaT? :P
Lugo, you're asking questions that only you can answer. We can tell you what the job is like but you have to make the choice based on what's best for you.

konsole

expect to make only about $150 a week preload and $130 a week night shift. Throw in union dues and you can be under $100 for that week. Also don't be under the assumption that you can pick up some extra time here and there because as soon as your contracted 3.5 hours is up they will do the best they can to get you off the clock. Many people are ready and willing to get off the clock as soon as possible so takiing that and then showing them your a good worker you can be one of the people that sticks around to the very end of the shift and pick up another 1.5 hours a week or so.

BrownNinjaz

Lugo, you're asking questions that only you can answer. We can tell you what the job is like but you have to make the choice based on what's best for you.

OK. Sorry :) I am a bit desperate. I am having a hard time.. I am doing bad at my current job.Because of my current job, they may not hire me. However, Red Rose Tea made me less worried :P She/He said something in terms of that. That's a relieve. I hope she's/he's being honest. :)
I am a bit depressed.. even though I am a nice person who wants to be happy.. but my boss at my job is looking at me like a garbage and I hate that, but I try to disregard their eyes. In fact, I don't even look at them.

So I have decided to choose twilight, however, if that's not available because some guy in here said that a woman was moved to preload. I think the best time for me to work would be twilight. But if that's not available, I will have to go with preload.. no other choice. :(

By the way, money is not a problem for me.. I want to work at UPS partly because I need to buy healthy foods, and party because UPS offer UPS Earn & Learn program which is superb.

But I have a question. Will the UPS earn & learn program have an effect on Financial aids?

Sorry for asking. If guys don't know i will stay quiet.. and we'll see what happens. :|

PS: I have decided to do full time in college if possible, I basically want 4 classes if possible.
I want to start @ 9 am until ... So I think twilight would be the best choice. :P

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
First, in regards to your current job, UPS generally is not concerned with what job you have or your performance there. Their major concern is if you have ever been convicted of any felonies. If you have not, then you shouldn't have any problem. Don't let what someone else says make your decisions for you. You need to ask questions of and get the answers from your HR rep. We can answer general questions based on our own experiences but that does NOT mean that that is the way it is going to be for you.

As to the Earn and Learn Program, someone else may be able to answer that. I have no knowledge of the program or how it works.

BrownNinjaz

OK. :) We'll see what will be available at the end of the month. :) The recruiter is going to call me to apply.
But I want to know this..
which shift has the lesser hours? Just wondering ^_^

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
OK. Sorry :) I am a bit desperate. I am having a hard time.. I am doing bad at my current job.Because of my current job, they may not hire me. However, Red Rose Tea made me less worried :P She/He said something in terms of that. That's a relieve. I hope she's/he's being honest. :)
I am a bit depressed.. even though I am a nice person who wants to be happy.. but my boss at my job is looking at me like a garbage and I hate that, but I try to disregard their eyes. In fact, I don't even look at them.

So I have decided to choose twilight, however, if that's not available because some guy in here said that a woman was moved to preload. I think the best time for me to work would be twilight. But if that's not available, I will have to go with preload.. no other choice. :(

By the way, money is not a problem for me.. I want to work at UPS partly because I need to buy healthy foods, and party because UPS offer UPS Earn & Learn program which is superb.

But I have a question. Will the UPS earn & learn program have an effect on Financial aids?

Sorry for asking. If guys don't know i will stay quiet.. and we'll see what happens. :|

PS: I have decided to do full time in college if possible, I basically want 4 classes if possible.
I want to start @ 9 am until ... So I think twilight would be the best choice. :P

Lugo,
I am being honest. Don't worry about your current job - like I said UPS does a background check (criminal) and a check through the I9 system to make sure you are in the US legally.
As far as whether this job would affect your financial aid package, you need to see 1st see what UPS has to offer and then check your financial aid office at school. I'm assuming the recruiter came to your college campus - correct?

BrownNinjaz

Lugo,
I am being honest. Don't worry about your current job - like I said UPS does a background check (criminal) and a check through the I9 system to make sure you are in the US legally.
As far as whether this job would affect your financial aid package, you need to see 1st see what UPS has to offer and then check your financial aid office at school. I'm assuming the recruiter came to your college campus - correct?

I found a card that they were hiring. So the recruiter e-mail and phone number was on it.
So I think you're correct. :D:D Well, do I have to let UPS know that financial aids is helping me?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are putting the cart before the horse. Get the job first then worry about the Earn and Learn. From what I have been told Earn and Learn, if available at Chelmsford, is separate from any financial aid you may receive.

BrownNinjaz

you're riight. :) I am not 100% certain that I will get hired. Ha ha
I hope I do get hired. I will be a good worker.. I am fast, and muscular. I can lift up to 80 lbs by myself.
I used to be the best worker at my current job.. I am a selector at a warehouse and I used to do 260-270 average per week! And I had to do 190 avg. I once did 292 boxes per hour in 8 hours >_>
That's like 100 boxes ahead an hour. ^_^

All I am saying is that they will like me. :P

I hope it's separate. I will be pleased. :P

happybob

Feeders
You shouldn't have a problem with working the twi if you can get it. You get out between 10pm and midnight, depending on the volume, late arriving loads and other problems that pop up on differant occasions. You wont have much of a night life during the week, and will be pressed to get as much of your class assignements done as possible before going to work and getting to bed when you get home as soon as you can decompress. You do get weekends off so that should help also with your study time. The preload you will need to pay close attention to your class schedules. You will not always be assured of getting out in time to make it from Chelmsford to your campus, I'm assuming either U-Lowell or MCC. Don't pass up the opportunity to get the job if it's only preload thats available. Just try to get a later first class time then 9am if it becomes a problem, even if that means you can only take three classes instead of four per day. You can, if an opening comes up on the twi, get switched to that shift, provided of course you do a decent job and keep your nose clean. There have been plenty of employees in CHEMA over the years that attended U-Lowell and MCC and were working the twi or preload and were able to juggle the work schedule with the class schedule.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
I found a card that they were hiring. So the recruiter e-mail and phone number was on it.
So I think you're correct. :D:D Well, do I have to let UPS know that financial aids is helping me?

When my son was in college in PA, UPS recruiters were all over the campus.

Looks like there are currently positions in Worcester/Shrewsbury. Maybe by the end month positions in Chelmsford will be available. Just be sure to followup with the recruiter. I'm sure the application process is on-line.

I'm not familiar with this program, but if UPS offers $3000 yearly, then that is $3000 less financial aid you would need.

BrownNinjaz

When my son was in college in PA, UPS recruiters were all over the campus.

Looks like there are currently positions in Worcester/Shrewsbury. Maybe by the end month positions in Chelmsford will be available. Just be sure to followup with the recruiter. I'm sure the application process is on-line.

I'm not familiar with this program, but if UPS offers $3000 yearly, then that is $3000 less financial aid you would need.

Yeah I saw, I applied and they called me saying that it's an hour drive.. that I get paid so low that all my money that I make from will be spent on gas.. I laughed. She was so right. :P

I want to take about 3-4 classes.I will take 4 if I get into twilight shift.

BrownNinjaz

You shouldn't have a problem with working the twi if you can get it. You get out between 10pm and midnight, depending on the volume, late arriving loads and other problems that pop up on differant occasions. You wont have much of a night life during the week, and will be pressed to get as much of your class assignements done as possible before going to work and getting to bed when you get home as soon as you can decompress. You do get weekends off so that should help also with your study time. The preload you will need to pay close attention to your class schedules. You will not always be assured of getting out in time to make it from Chelmsford to your campus, I'm assuming either U-Lowell or MCC. Don't pass up the opportunity to get the job if it's only preload thats available. Just try to get a later first class time then 9am if it becomes a problem, even if that means you can only take three classes instead of four per day. You can, if an opening comes up on the twi, get switched to that shift, provided of course you do a decent job and keep your nose clean. There have been plenty of employees in CHEMA over the years that attended U-Lowell and MCC and were working the twi or preload and were able to juggle the work schedule with the class schedule.

I hope I will be able to work at Twilight. If preload, that's fine.. I will see what I can do..
My friend works in UPS chemsford. I will just ask him. :P

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
Yeah I saw, I applied and they called me saying that it's an hour drive.. that I get paid so low that all my money that I make from will be spent on gas.. I laughed. She was so right. :P

I want to take about 3-4 classes.I will take 4 if I get into twilight shift.

Of course, the job would have to be local. I'm sure jobs will open up at the end of the month.

Just out of curiousity, what does :P mean?