I am rethinking UPS as a career

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Whats so funny is that I do HATE my job , BUT I am one of the best drivers in my center . That is what drives my boss NUTS !! I complain everyday , I am on the safty committie , I just do my job and go home . But he knows I tell the truth every time ! If I need air help or ground help , he knows I really do need help . We have some drivers that show up 1 min before start time , always in office about something , run off every night , have late air , miss pick ups just trouble drivers . So my boss would rather listen to me complain ALL the time , and do a good job for him , than never complain and make him look bad . Its all about the numbers at UPS NOT the people .

Other than the safety committee crap, we could be brothers separated at birth. Used to like it, now hate it. The problem always has been at UPS is the better you do, the more you get. Even above and beyond what would be reasonable.

preload1

WOW !!!!! Just one more BUTT HEAD , on this site . UPS is winning , driver vs driver , Thats what they want ! I have been working at UPS longer than your age punk ! I NEVER said ANYBODY OWES me anything . But when you give , give , give to UPS and they TAKE , TAKE , TAKE ............. money is not everything . I DO NOT want the overtime !!!!!!! I want fair days to get home to see my family , I enjoy coming home . You sound just like a sup , if you are not a driver . wow , it just blows my mind how many a holes out there !
Actually I am a retired manager. Started as Christmas help in '77. Drove for 4 years and wanted to challenge myself more so I went into management to learn and grow both personally and professionally. You sound like a complainer. If your not happy just leave. No one is forcing you to stay at UPS are they?

curiousbrain

As you state UPS has your balls in their hands. No they don't. That's your fault. You say 24 yrs. Is that years of service or your age? From your post it sounds like your age and your I.Q. Noboby owes you ANYTHING in this life. Put on your big girl panties. Sounds like you've already out grown the ones your wearing now.

Actually I am a retired manager. Started as Christmas help in '77. Drove for 4 years and wanted to challenge myself more so I went into management to learn and grow both personally and professionally. You sound like a complainer. If your not happy just leave. No one is forcing you to stay at UPS are they?

This is THE primary reason why my job is so difficult - I am constantly trying to prove that I am not this kind of jerk (expletive replaced to be family friendly) to drivers who are convinced that I am this kind of this jerk. This is not a problem of cost/benefit analysis, this is a problem of culture.

GolfCart

Ha , I knew you were one of them , a suit !!!!!! No need wasting my time taking to you .

GolfCart

As said before , I am one of the top 3 drivers in my hub . Never call in, scratch driver , I go the extra mile always !!! But a mile is never enough ups needs 2 miles now , and be perfect as you go the extra mile for ups . So yes , I have a right to complain because I do my job! I do a good job every day . So as long as I am pulling the numbers in my hub , they will never ever shut me up ! I enjoy my job if they would just let us do our job.

cascadehops

agree with goochy. let us do our job and then go home. what is our incentive to "walk at a brisk pace" while delivering if its just going to mean we have to walk even longer when they send us to go help someone. Someone high up needs to recognize the root of the problem here thats infects drivers in the early years and continues for the rest of their careers.

Scratchy

How about breathing in second-hand smoke for roughly 5 combined minutes day at UPS? Alzheimer's for me? :P I was once inside a trailer getting ready to unhook a roller, and the one girl that works on our local sort is standing next to me and decides it would be a convenient time to light up a cig.... Halfway inside the trailer with packages already inside.....

Logb17

Im not rethinking a career in ups. Just rethinking a career drivng, I just finished day 12 of my 30 day probation. I was beating my route up until the 11th day. They put a huge bulk stop all the way down the middle of my truck that isnt even on my route, and wanted me to do it before my route. They also have me doing to late pups that arent supposed to be on the training route. Why? Because from day one by myself(4th day) ive been under scratch. So i slowed down and didnt get all my deliveries done before my late pups and had to finish them after. Didn't get back to the building til 7:30. they told me I was 30 minutes over. Frankly, I don't give a ****. Already lost motivation.

I worked preload and saturday air for ten years and already know how they try to :censored2: hard workers.

GolfCart

Im not rethinking a career in ups. Just rethinking a career drivng, I just finished day 12 of my 30 day probation. I was beating my route up until the 11th day. They put a huge bulk stop all the way down the middle of my truck that isnt even on my route, and wanted me to do it before my route. They also have me doing to late pups that arent supposed to be on the training route. Why? Because from day one by myself(4th day) ive been under scratch. So i slowed down and didnt get all my deliveries done before my late pups and had to finish them after. Didn't get back to the building til 7:30. they told me I was 30 minutes over. Frankly, I don't give a ****. Already lost motivation.

I worked preload and saturday air for ten years and already know how they try to :censored2: hard workers.

Welcome to my world , it just gets worse . They watch you ALL day . If you had 8 air on Mon , got done at 10:20 , Tues. you will have 9 air because you got done 10 mins early . I am scratch driver , and they do abuse us . BUT you have to learn how to play the game !!! Do whats on the truck , if you have 8 hrs do it , if you have a 10 hr day do it in 10.5 . Take pics of bad loads with phone , to show boss why you worked all night . Play the game !!!!!! 10 yrs ago UPS was a great place to work . NOW it just SUCKS !! I have 24 yrs in so I can not go anywhere , BUT I will complain EVERYDAY to ANYONE who has a ear ! I cornered my DISTRICT manager a few weeks ago , he knows of me but not well . He just knows I give 110 % every day !!! I blew him OUT !! . I was nice , but firm ! I told him " I HATE MY JOB !!" I hate coming to work " he said that hurt , and made him sad . At my hub , start time 9:10 , we leave at 9:30-9:45 everyday ! Then they bring stuff out all day , and do not forget about all the misloads ( meeting drivers ) so it ONLY GETS WORSE !!!!

over9five

Staff member
I cornered my DISTRICT manager a few weeks ago , he knows of me but not well . He just knows I give 110 % every day !!! I blew him OUT !! . I was nice , but firm ! I told him " I HATE MY JOB !!" I hate coming to work " he said that hurt , and made him sad . At my hub , start time 9:10 , we leave at 9:30-9:45 everyday ! Then they bring stuff out all day , and do not forget about all the misloads ( meeting drivers ) so it ONLY GETS WORSE !!!!

Lol, I'm sure he lost sleep over it as well.

GolfCart

Lol, I'm sure he lost sleep over it as well.

Like said before , who cares if they listen , I am going to give it to him EVERY time I see him , or anyone esle . I tell the truth , so every thing I tell him is the truth . Meeting drivers 3-4 times a day , leaving hub at 9:45 some days , to many air stops ( run straight air and still have late ???? ) Misloads , bad loads , all TRUE !! SO I feel better when I talk to any suit , If I see I SUIT in my hub , I go talk to them !!!!!!!!!! All my fellow drivers laugh and say I am CRAZY !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I say " I AM CRAZY , I WORK AT UPS " :)

GolfCart

I told district manager that my whole Preload SUCKED !!! Horrible !! all of it , so it got back to head Preload sup , they where PISSED at me . They told me just WAIT !!!!!! you wll pay !! wait to see your load the next day ! I went and told my boss , preload sup was moved to night within 2 days . So sometimes they do listen .

Scratchy

Goochy, I appreciate your honest and straightforward posts on here. Before driving friend/T did you do Sat. air driving in addition to P/T work at the hub?

GolfCart

No Sat air . Never did much air driving , in the OLD days at my hub you had to drive your personal vehicle . I did not want to drive my truck ( to many miles on it already ) UPS paid you your pay and 25cents a mile . I did do cover driving , I got lucky , my town was growing , I worked 3 yrs part time , then went full time real quickly . SO I have 20 yrs of driving . I just tell it like it is AT MY hub. Your hub maybe better ,( I do not think so ") ) . I figure if you do your job , and some how can beat UPS numbers , you are doing something !!! I am just lucky to have a bid route that plans OK -fair . We have some bid routes that are NOT fair . Just play the game and ALWAYS complain !!

grandma

haha since the contract sucks for people who were there only 6 months, my balls aren't in a vice. im quitting today friend that place what a bunch of clownasses